We're on the road at the moment and I've just made this in the caravan. The great thing about vegetarian cooking is that the clean up is easier.
|This is us on the banks of the Lake Cargelligo Weir|
Chickpea and Vegetable Semi-Vindaloo
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
- 2 heaped dessert spoons of crushed ginger (or less if you don't want it too hot!)
- 1 heaped teaspoon of crushed garlic
- 3 tablespoons curry powder(again add a little less if you prefer)
- 1 x 140gm tin tomato paste
- 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth – (a teaspoon of vegemite dissolved in warm water works here too)
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 or 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 500gm diced pumpkin
- 2 x 400gm tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 250 gm mushrooms, diced
- Salt and pepper as needed
- Heat the vegetable oil/butter in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the ginger and garlic. Saute 2 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder and heat for about 1 minute
- Add the vegetable broth/vegemite and stir until any lumps have gone
- Add tomato paste and again stir until smooth
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Add all the fresh vegetables, mushrooms and chickpeas and stir.
- Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are tender stirring occasionally. (I like it when the pumpkin is slightly overcooked and it starting to become part of the sauce.)
- Serve with rice or noodles or on its own as the fancy takes you!
|Ready to serve|
|I'll have mine with noodles, thanks!|
|And a slice of freshly baked bread!|