Oct 5, 2015

Vindaloo To Go

I thought I'd share a new favourite recipe!  I've been looking at vegetarian recipes and especially those with chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) because they're full of goodness and they come in convenient, easy to transport, tins!  After a bit of combing through recipes online and in books and then a little adapting I've come up with this chickpea and vegetable semi-vindaloo!

We're on the road at the moment and I've just made this in the caravan.  The great thing about vegetarian cooking is that the clean up is easier.


This is us on the banks of the Lake Cargelligo Weir
So here's the recipe for...

Chickpea and Vegetable Semi-Vindaloo

Ingredients 

  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
  • 2 heaped dessert spoons of crushed ginger (or less if you don't want it too hot!)
  • 1 heaped teaspoon of crushed garlic
  • 3 tablespoons curry powder(again add a little less if you prefer)
  • 1 x 140gm tin tomato paste
  • 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
  • 1 cup vegetable broth – (a teaspoon of vegemite dissolved in warm water works here too)
  • 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 2 or 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 500gm diced pumpkin
  • 2 x 400gm tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 250 gm mushrooms, diced
  • Salt and pepper as needed

Prepared vegetables
 

Directions

  1. Heat the vegetable oil/butter in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the ginger and garlic. Saute 2 minutes.
  2. Stir in the curry powder and heat for about 1 minute
  3. Add the vegetable broth/vegemite and stir until any lumps have gone
  4. Add tomato paste and again stir until smooth
  5. Stir in the coconut milk.
  6. Add all the fresh vegetables, mushrooms and chickpeas and stir.
  7. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are tender stirring occasionally.  (I like it when the pumpkin is slightly overcooked and it starting to become part of the sauce.)
  8. Serve with rice or noodles or on its own as the fancy takes you!
Ready to serve

I'll have mine with noodles, thanks!
And a slice of freshly baked bread!
Got any favourite spicy dishes or meals cooked with chickpeas you'd like to share?


25 comments:

  1. My, that vindaloo looks good, Sharon!
    We dont really do spicy in our house but I reckon I'm going to give that a go :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to let me know how it goes, Amy! Be sure to cut back on the ginger and the curry, won't you!

      Delete
  2. Sharon, you know how much I love chickpeas - I'm totally trying out this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're a chickpea fan, Rachel! You introduced me to sauteed chickpeas in a salad which is now a firm favourite at Chez Archer!

      Delete
  3. Yum, that looks great, Sharon. I'm not very good with hot things or chickpeas...although I can make hummus in my thermomix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like super hot, hot things, Jen - I think it kills the taste when you feel as though your mouth's on fire! I like chickpeas in cans - not so keen on the little dried ones which I really don't seem to have the hang of cooking at all! Oooo, I've heard about Thermomix's - do you use yours a lot?

      Delete
  4. YUM!!! I adore chickpeas (humus anyone?!) and put them in as many things as I can! This looks amazing- I'm definitely trying it! I have a sausage and chickpea casserole I love to make and is a family favourite (basically 6 sausages chopped up, 1 can tomatoes, a tbsp each of soy sauce, tom puree and worcestershire sauce, 1 chopped onion, 1 crushed clove of garlic, 200 ml white wine and 250 ml chicken stock and two cans of drained chickpeas. Simmer for 20 minutes and eat with crusty bread,) Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Louisa, another chickpea fan!. Mmmm, I do like the sound of your sausage and chickpea dish. That's a must try for me! Planning planning... maybe Wednesday when it's a bit cooler here!

      Delete
    2. Louisa, I made your sausage and chickpea casserole! Definitely a new fave in the Archer kitchen. I substituted red wine for white wine because I'd already done the shopping for the week and I added some extra vegies. I'm going to try again with the white wine as well just for interest, but it's a definite winner! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. Sharon, that looks like just the recipe I was after. I want to good more vegetable meals and this is definitely on my 'must try' list. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fab, Annie! I hope our semi-vindaloo goes down well at Chez West! You'll have to report back! ;)

      Delete
  6. This looks fabulous Sharon! Our family loves vegetarian curries and this one would be very popular I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, Kandy! I hope you enjoy this. So easy to make and I do love "easy" in the kitchen! Again, I'd love a report back if you give it a whirl!

      Delete
  7. Hi Sharon

    I do love the sound of this I am going to try this one ☺ I make curried sausages a lot family love them one pot with lots of vegies and rice yum

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! I'd love to hear back if you do try it out and what variations you tried that worked for you. Curried sausages are a bit of a treat, aren't they! And I think Louisa's sausage casserole with chickpeas sounds like a new soon-to-be fave for me!

      Delete
  8. This looks delicious! I sometimes add meat to vegetarian meals (which sounds odd, I know) because those meals are more vegetable-heavy than meat ones. Anything to get a few extra serves in! I'll definitely try this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stefanie, I completely understand! I've been thinking that some diced chicken would go down well in this recipe! And I like adding things to spin out the number of serves too - it's that keep things easy in the kitchen as well as less time at the kitchen bench!

      Delete
    2. I tried this last night with the addition of some chicken - it was so delicious!! Thanks for sharing, I'll be adding this one to my regulars list.

      Delete
    3. Fantastic, Stefanie! Thanks so much for coming back to let us know!

      Delete
  9. That sounds great, Sharon! I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow night...and like Stef, I might add a little meat to it too. Which could mean we'll be eating it for the rest of the week, LOL. Will let you know how it goes. I'm so trying Louisa's suggestion too. Love chickpeas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, left-overs are absolutely my favourite food group! And yay for another chickpea fan! Actually, you've reminded me that I must get some sausages out of the freezer so I can give Louisa's recipe a spin tomorrow. It will be cooler here then - only 15 degrees and I'm looking forward to it! Just nudging 30 now and hard to get too excited about a casserole dish today! But tomorrow it will be perfect!

      Delete
  10. Coming in late here, Sharon, but definitely going to try this recipe. It sounds yummy and I adore spicy food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fab, Sue! You might be able to be heavy handed with the ginger and curry if you like spicy food!

      Delete
  11. I saw this recommended on Facebook and as a vegetarian, I'm always after new recipes! I'll definitely be giving this a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks so much for popping to let me know you're going to give this recipe a try, Madeline. If you get the chance, do let us know how you find it.

      Delete