Oct 12, 2015

Can a Brown Thumb Turn Green?

We moved house a few months ago.  From a block in a residential street to five acres. Five acres! We didn’t really want that much land, but we loved the house, the outlook and the location.

Five acres is a lot of land. A lot of trees, a lot of green and a lot of maintenance! We’re not gardeners, but my daughter has been busting to garden almost since she was born (as well as camp and fish – her parents are a huge disappointment to her). So, to bring my daughter’s dream of a veggie garden to life, I’m determined to learn how to turn my brown thumb into a version of green.

So, we started. We started by investigating if we had any veggies already in the garden. We discovered tomato plants, basil, a couple of paw paw trees and two lemon trees. But we also found a lot of weeds. We spent two days pulling weeds then mulching around the existing veggies. It all looks amazing. I have to admit, I’m quite proud of myself.


My daughter is now so keen, she wants to enter the Australia Country Style Harvest Table Garden competition.  She has to grow a garden full of vegetables and document it all in a journal. She’s bought a fist full of seed packets and is developing big, big plans. So, wish her luck (and me as I suspect help will be required!).

16 comments:

  1. Good on you, Jen! It sounds like a marvellous adventure and one all the family can share. Don't forget the manure as well as the weeding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jennifer what a great idea I would love to do something like this but we have a very small backyard and a dog who loves digging LOL although when our kids were young we had a small vegie patch and grew some lettuce carrots etc but nothing ever really took off we did eat some of it and we had fun but it didn't last long.


    Good on you keep us up to date :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we might be up against the odds too, with a dog, but we will give it our best shot, Helen. Will definitely keep you up-to-date. I think it will be fun.

      Delete
  3. Go you on the gardening, Jennifer. I think it's fabulous your daughter is so enthusiastic. She'll love it even more when she gets to eat her produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait until we can actually harvest something, Sue. Will feel a great sense of satisfaction and my daughter will love it.

      Delete
  4. Jen, I had to laugh at your daughter's disappointment in her non-gardening, non-camping, non-fishing parents! but it's not true now anyway, is it! You're definitely gardening-variety parents now!

    The pictures of your garden area look delightful! And your daughter has some big goals to achieve in it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Sharon, I think we have risen in our daughter estimation with our gardening efforts (I had the whole family out weeding the other day!!)

    Thanks!! Our garden is so lovely, I just hope we can keep it this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That'll be so rewarding when you get to eat something grown in your own garden! I've been living in apartments for the last 6 years and I have to admit I really miss having some green space. One day! Your garden can be my inspiration :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to be inspiring, Stefanie!! Enjoy that apartment living. We stayed in an apartment recently on holiday and all I could think about was how easy it would be to live in, to maintain and clean such a compact space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a good mum you are, Jen! I hope your daughter (and you!) have a ball in the garden. I can't wait to hear more about your gardening adventures. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. She has big plans for this weekend!

      Delete
  9. You're a great mum Jen. Would love to see the progress your daughter makes with the garden.
    If you figure out turning the brown thumb, green, I'd love to hear how you did it, as I haven't figured that out yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely of you to say, Lyn. I will certainly keep you posted.

      Delete
  10. Keep us informed of the progress, Jen- it looks like you have your work cut out, but it will be worth every minute of shovelling manure when you sink your teeth into fresh veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Louisa. Will certainly keep you posted on our gardening adventure.

    ReplyDelete