May 10, 2017

Hot Mess


I took the inspiration for my blog title from Amy’s newest release (doesn’t it look pretty over in the sidebar there?).

Why am I feeling like a hot mess at the moment?

Because this week I’ve started a new book.

Oh, it’s not that the book is a hot mess. No, no, no! It’s going like a dream. I LOVE my characters. I LOVE the situation I’ve so meanly thrust them in. ;-) I mean, I’m only at day 3 so one would hope my book and I would still be at the honeymoon stage where we’re totally enamoured with each other. It’ll be another week or so before I’m banging my head on my desk and moaning “Hot mess!” out loud.

If I can find the room to bang my head against said desk, that is.

You see that’s my current problem. I always—always—clean my desk between projects. It’s a mind thing—fresh start and all that, a clean slate from which exciting new ideas can spring forth and help me to create magic. At least, that’s the plan. :)

But, Dear Reader, I’m currently in the throes of a PhD (oh, and, yes—it’s a steaming Hot Mess!)…and the PhD in true metaphoric fashion it has taken over my life, infringing on every part of it. Including my desk.

This will give you an idea of the scale of the problem…




See what I mean? In addition to this I have pile of textbooks right behind me, they’re also on the futon, under the futon and beside the futon. I even have a tottering pile in the ensuite of my writer’s loft, but I’m too embarrassed to show you a picture of that. ;-)

But you know what? I’ve discovered that I can work amid the clutter. Who knew? All I need is pen and paper, and a little orange oil burning away in in my oil burner, and I’m all set.

So rather than whinging I’ve decided to embrace my clutter.

I guess that means it’s time now to get back to my twin-swap, doorstep baby story. ;-)

What about you—can you work amid clutter or do you absolutely have to clean up first?

10 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle

    Firstly I do love the sound of this new book twin swap and baby on the door-step woohoo :)

    Yea I can work in mess but I prefer to work when everything is de-cluttered and tidy LOL but it doesn't happen very often around my place so I have gotten used to working in whatever :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Helen, at the moment I'm having an absolute blast with the new book! Such fun. :-)

      As for mess and clutter, sometimes it's simply a needs-must thing -- I need to work, but I don't have the time to put other things away (especially when they might need to be close at hand). ;-)

      Delete
  2. I'm like you Michelle. Start a new project with a clean desk. Situation devolves over the weeks until I can't see my desk through a stack of paper with hastily scribbled, hlaf-formed thoughts, post-it notes, discarded mail, mounting bill pile, empty bottles, food wrappers and the heavy stench of despair as the book also devolves into a hot mess ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The heavy scent of despair" -- Oh that made me laugh. With you, not at you. ;-) Wish I couldn't relate.

      Those half-thought-out, quickly jotted notes certainly pile up, don't they (along with those pesky bills)? I'm just hoping the half-thought-out, quickly jotted notes for the PhD and current book don't get mixed up. Mind you, it could make for an interesting read. :-)

      Delete
  3. While I'd love to start new projects with a clean workspace, currently I have to respect that decluttering and sustaining a tidy area is a gradual process for me since I now respect my body telling me to stop.
    I did learn to work surrounded by clutter while I was at university. That said, as I've grown older, I've noticed that I'm more productive in a clean/tidy workspace than a cluttered one - which I put down to clutter impacting the thought processes [ie more scattered thoughts] and clutter making it easier to procrastinate since it gives me an easyish "ooh, I NEED to do ...."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something a bit zen and meditative about clean lines and an uncluttered work space, Lyn...but I fear that's not something I'm going to achieve this year. So, like you, I'm just going to have to accept the clutter and keep moving ahead with my projects. :-)

      Delete
  4. This might sound crazy but I clean my desk every day. I put all my notes away, stash my planner and put my pens back into their right spots. I find if I don't start the day with a clear desk I feel distracted all day long - must be the virgo in me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a neat freak in our presence! ;-)

      Ah, Stef, I envy you your tidy desk...and I apologise for the above pics -- I hope they didn't give you too much of a nervous tic. The thing is, I totally understand the clear-desk clear- mind analogy.

      Delete
  5. I like to clear the desk occasionally but it doesn't actually help the writing. I tend to do the massive clean up when I'm looking for excuses not to write - as in when it's not going well. When I start tripping over piles with my coffee in hand it is definitely time to straighten up the room. love the Hot Mess idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Sue. Wouldn't it be nice if cleaning up one's desk did make the writing easier -- heaven's we'd all be cleaning madly, wouldn't we? :-) But I'm glad I'm not the only one who can work in a "Hot Mess". ;-)

      Delete