May 5, 2017

Hey, Smart Guy!

There's just something magical about the sky, dontcha reckon?

One of my favourite things in the whole wide world is a cloud.  Streaky and flat.  Fluffy and white. Out the window of a plane of hovering merrily above the horizon as I drive.  I get a visceral reaction, deep in my bones, at the sight of a cloud.  Even knowing how they are made there's something romantic about the way they hover; in sight but out of reach, quiet, beautiful, majestic. They just make me really happy!

My husband - on the other hand - loves a night sky. That man is all about the stars.  He’s endlessly looking up, wondering what else is out there. All that cool, dark otherness.  All that silent drama playing out beyond our scope.  All that possibility. Talk about romantic.

Which is why I don’t know why it took me so long to write an astronomer hero.

Well, gang, the wait is over as I am writing one as we speak!  My hero's a big-time star guy.  Super smart. world famous, even. The thinking girl's stud-muffin.  Well, every girl's stud-muffin, really.  (Think less Galileo, more Henry Cavill :).)

But for all his laconic charm and scrummy good looks, its his brain that I love the most.  The focus, the insight, the surety in what he knows.

And it got me to thinking how sexy thinking can be.

My mum looooved Carl SaganCosmos was a big deal in my house when I was teeny tiny.  I can't remember the show but I read Contact yonks ago and LOVED it . Googling some I get it now. He was pretty yummy.
 
Then there's the fabulous Brian Cox. His love of the stars is infectious. He recently hosted a fantastic show on the ABC in Australia called Stargazing.  Check it out here!

Other enthusiastic and charismatic stargazers making a splash right now include astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson and physicist Dr Michio Kaku.

I found the guy on the left on a stock photo sight so have no idea who he is, but he fits the profile just fine!  I mean he has to be smart with those glasses, that scarf and that folder, right? :)

Anyhoo, what do you reckon?  Is science sexy?  Can a razor sharp mind be even more sexier than a razor sharp body? Any sexy scientists you think we all must know about?



8 comments:

  1. I don't know if I'd say science is sexy, but that doesn't mean I think it's un-sexy either... You know what is sexy -- passion. So if a guy is passionate about a science, that can be sexy. I have a bit of a soft spot for Todd Sampson who has written and hosted some scientific documentaries (and is, admittedly, pretty good looking ;-) ). And I always find myself fascinated with anything Michael Mosley presents too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Meant to say I'm looking forward to you astronomer hero too, Ally. :-)

      Delete
    2. I love Todd Sampson too, Michelle! Twin powers activate! Very sexy. I think he's getting a little "up" himself lately but yeh....he's a hottie!

      Delete
  2. Hi Ally

    I don't think I have had a lot to do with scientists but I am sure that in a romance story I would love him I look forward to this one and I am sure his body will call to as much as his mind 😀

    Have Fun

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ally

    I don't think I have had a lot to do with scientists but I am sure that in a romance story I would love him I look forward to this one and I am sure his body will call to as much as his mind 😀

    Have Fun

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ally, go and Google Allan Duffy http://www.alanrduffy.com/
    Oh my...he's an Irish astronomer working and livng in Mebourne. He is the epiotme of science being sexy AND an accent! :-)
    I've written a super brainy, female astronomer and science teachers/math teacher heroines but not heroes. Hmmm.....ponders that for a second...story starts to form.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my...I just googled Mr Duffy. Nice. And an Irish accent! Win-win. :-)

      Delete
  5. Having spent a lot of my working life in a lab I know some of those science dudes are very sexy. white coats hide all sorts of attractions!

    ReplyDelete