May 24, 2017

Farewell to "The Saint" - Kandy Shepherd



Vale, Roger Moore. British actor Sir Roger Moore, died aged 89 yesterday, May 23. I felt sad at the news. Roger Moore played James Bond, Simon Templar “The Saint” and, earlier, medieval hero on horseback, Ivanhoe as well as starring in Maverick. 

Roger Moore was a favourite of mine, not just because of his acting skills or the roles he played, but because I found him incredibly handsome. I really like tall blond men. I fell in love with him on screen as Simon Templar, the suave, crime-solving adventurer who meted out his own idea of justice, hero of the 1960s English television series The Saint. The series was based on the best-selling novels of the same name by Lesley Charteris. The Saint was described as “romantic adventure”—no wonder I loved it!

Roger Moore
I first saw The Saint when I was a teenager. No videos in those days just black and white repeats on Australian day-time TV. The series already had a retro vibe by that stage but I stillI loved it. (The dancing scenes at cocktail parties are particularly cheesy!

Simon Templar was gorgeous, witty, laid back in the extreme, definitely a lady’s man and a bit of a rogue. Oh, and did I mention tall and blond. My ideal man, I thought! I liked Roger Moore as James Bond, but to me he was Simon Templar. (Daniel Craig is my favourite Bond.


First appearance as "The Saint" in the first episode The Talented Husband
 Fast forward twenty years to when I met my (tall, blond, handsome) husband. We soon established he was also a fan of The Saint. Yes, he liked Simon Templar and the overall retro coolness of the series. But most of all he liked Simon Templar’s sports car, the iconic Volvo P1800. While I was ogling Roger Moore as Simon Templar, hubby was ogling his car!

The other star of The Saint - the Volvo P1800

 Several years into our marriage, my husband managed to acquire an original, white P1800 for himself. It’s his pride and joy. My daughter and I tease him that he loves that car more than he loves us. He has to think about his reply!

My hubby's pride and joy
Husband has the boxed sets on DVD of all the series of The Saint. When we watch it together, he is looking for glimpses of the car. My eyes are still firmly trained on Roger Moore.

There are five series and we have them all
Were you a Roger Moore fan? Any favourite retro TV shows or movies? Have you ever fallen in love with a car? Are you a dark haired hero fan or like a blond hero—or even a redhead? I’d love to see your comments!


12 comments:

  1. I saw the news this morning, Kandy. Sad, but he had a good innings, didn't he?

    The Saint was a little before my time so my first intro to him was Bond although I am more a Connery fan I have to admit.

    I like my heroes blonde though in books and real life :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, yes he was a good age and sensibly bowed out from the camera at the right time. I thought he wasn't menacing enough as Bond, more like it was fun and games. Sean Connery and Daniel Craig have the edge of ruthlessness required! Yay for the blond hero!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Kandy: I also loved Roger Moore as "The Saint". What a handsome man--tall, suave, charming, beautiful blue eyes, and the devilish "lift of a brow". Roger Moore was the embodiment of an elegant and engaging romantic hero! Thanks for this post--he will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Virginia, I was thinking the word "debonair" fitted him well, didn't it with the roguish edge and just so handsome!

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of The Saint; must go check that out now.
    Yes to the "tall, suave, charming, beautiful blue eyes, and the devilish 'lift of a brow'" Virginia noted above. Yes, he WILL be missed.
    Yes to debonair, Kandy.
    I tend to go for the tall, dark and handsome "gentle" gentlemen. Definitely don't go for orange hair. Dated a blond years ago; so sweet, but I wasn't willing to give up dancing for his religion (but WAS willing to give up alcohol). Shaved heads are becoming more popular and I must say that I'm finding some of them sexy too....
    Variety IS the spice of life, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaved heads? Now there's a thought, Laney. I agree they can be incredibly sexy!

      Delete
  4. Hi Kandy

    Yes I too am a fan of The Saint I remember watching it back in the 60's on Saturday nights fabulous show Mum and I loved it and we watched for Roger Moore not the car :) and yes I did enjoy his Bond movies as well, another older show I loved with Rock Hudson was MacMillan and Wife he was tall dark and handsome, so I guess I am partial to blondes as well as dark haired men :)

    RIP Sir Roger Moore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rock Hudson really was the tall, dark and handsome of his era wasn't he Helen. Definitely room for both dark-haired and blond heroes!

      Delete
  5. Sad to see him go, Kandy...I remember him more for Bond than the Saint, although he wasn't my favourite Bond.

    My husband is dark haired and so are most of my heroes (I think maybe all of them!!) but you can't get passed Sam Heughan as a red headed hero!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Louisa, when I typed in that comment about red-haired heroes, Sam Heughan was definitely top of mind! Swoon!

      Delete
  6. Love this blog, very cute, and nice tribute! RIP Mr Moore. And to this day your hubby still won't let you drive that car ;) you will always have the onscreen memory of Roger Moore though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy, lovely to see you here! Yes, sadly, that is true. After all these years I have never driven that car. Too fearful of the consequences if I was responsible for any damage!

      Delete