Jul 13, 2016

Zoom, Zoom, Zoom...with Michelle Douglas

 “Round round get around, I get around.” / “Little Red Corvette, baby you’re much too fast.” / “Little deuce coupe, you don’t know what I’ve got. Well I’m not bragging, babe, so don’t put me down. But I’ve got the fastest set of wheels in town.” / “You got a fast car. I want a ticket to anywhere.” / “Oh lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz. My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.” / “I took my Cobra down to the track, hitched to the back of my Cadillac.” / “Grease lightning! Go Grease lightning.” / “And she’ll have fun, fun, fun till her daddy takes the T-Bird away.”

Okay, I’ll stop now. But guess who just got a new car? It’s not brand new, it’s a couple of years old, but it’s sooooo pretty. :-) See…
 
Pretty, beautiful, gorgeous...


This is also the first car I’ve owned that has a CD player. My previous car had a cassette player…and, yes, I still have cassettes from the 80s and 90s that I’d play. See…

What on earth will I do with these now?

 I know this is dotty (though I prefer to call it whimsical), but I’ve been driving around blaring my Beach Boys CD (OMG you should hear this sound system!), so I can sing along to their car songs. I’ve been travelling all over the countryside singing “I Get Around”, “Fun Fun Fun”, “Little Deuce Coupe” and “Little Honda” at the top of my lungs.

I love beach music. Give me some Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, or The Riptides and you’ll have me grinning from ear to ear. But who knew beach music included so many car and driving songs?

And that got me thinking about other car and driving songs. Obviously I now have to create a playlist, and I’m asking you for advice and suggestions—do you have a favourite car or driving song? Or maybe there’s a particular song you simply love driving to? Do let me know—I’ve been having so much fun belting out tunes in my new car. :-)






P.S. When I go up a steep hill, my car keeps going AND maintains its speed rather than dropping back to 2nd gear (or, heaven forbid, 1st gear). Do you know how nice that is? Torque, is what the salesman said. I have a feeling some torque wouldn’t go astray for my writing at the moment…and I’m sure I’ll find some…after I take my car for just one more spin. ;-)


16 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle

    Woohoo love your new car it looks fab so neat and cute and I have to agree there is nothing better than listening to music while driving along the roads. There are so many songs I like listening to while driving to choose that is going to be hard

    We Are The Champions Queen
    Whole Lot of Love Led Zepplin
    Twisting The Night Away Rod Stewart

    And I do love the Beach Boys :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Queen is a must, Helen -- yes! And Mr Douglas will be most impressed that you suggested Zepplin, LOL. You've given me great suggestions. Shall think of you whenever I hear Rod Stewart in my car, now. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oooh. That is a special my pretty, Michelle!

    I like to listen to country music in the car although for the last 6 months I actually whack in my headphones and listen to a book. I've spent most of the year in Scotland whenever I get in my car thanks to Diana Gabaldon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's soooo lovely to drive, Susan76. :-)

      And, yes, I expect a country music playlist will get made down the track too. Audio books! I've yet to join that revolution. I'm worried I'd become so lost in the story that I'd forget I was driving. LOL. But it's a great suggestion. I must investigate that further. :-)

      Delete
  3. Michelle, your car is gorgeous! I love that you love the experience of it so much.

    We went on a picnic drive the other day and had a mixed group in the car. The songs ranged from Dylan to Bowie to The Big Chill and Robbie Williams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, what's the point in having nice new things if you can't relish them? ;-) I've been enjoying the new car muchly.

      Love the sound of your picnic drive -- what a mix of music! I bet it only added to the day's pleasure. :-)

      Delete
  4. Love the new car !! vroooommm and cd players we just cant do without. ! THe kids hook up there phones via the cord ** not sure what you call it haha * and we listen to a huge variety of music.
    I love billy idol :D
    Queen
    lots of differnt songs depends on my mood.

    Even Belinda Carlisle - Heaven

    :D enjoy the new wheels and I love pinics :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White Wedding...Bohemian Rhapsody...Summer Rain -- that's a fine start to a playlist right there, Katrina. :-)

      I am going to work out that cord thing too...just because. ;-) And then I'll have more playlists than I'll know what to do with for my Sunday drives. :-)

      Delete
  5. Nothing wrong with blasting music at high volume... I loved doing that when I still had my car.
    Torque is a wonderful thing... I have a feeling your old car may have been a 4 cylinder for the engine and your new one some description of V engine as V6 or V8s tend to be much better torque wise.

    Can you reverse down the driveway WITH the bells and whistles yet? I'm still giggling at the facebook comment about sticking the lint back on the jumper in the first few days of owning the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Torque...I believe both my old and new cars are/were four cylinder engines, but the former was eighteen years old while the latter only a couple of years old, so I guess that makes the difference. (Let's hope that's not the case for my writing brain, LOL.) Oh, and, Yes! Me, the bells and whistles, and reversing are all the very best of friends now (although the interior is no longer spotless and lint-free) ;-).

      Delete
  6. Helen's list is fab :) Driving songs - my youngest is going through a bit of an 80s and a Britpop phase at the moment, so we have a lot of Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene, the Fratellis and Cast, plus Tears for Fears, A-ha, Annie Lennox. It's really odd to think that we're singing along to stuff that was in the charts when I was between her age and her brother's (fun, though). Enjoy the new wheels and sing your head off! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Helen's list too, Kate. But I'm loving your daughter's 80s phase just as much. Oasis, Tears for Fears and Eurythmics make my heart happy.

      Come and visit and we'll go driving (to the beach) in my car, singing at the tops of our lungs (though I expect you'll be a touch more tuneful than me ;-) ).

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on the new car! Hope you're taking it for some lovely, scenic drives :D

    I don't even think our car has a CD player anymore, we just use the bluetooth to connect to our phones and then pick a playlist on Google Music. We had a great retro one for a drive to Niagara Falls recently which was full of late 90's and earl 2000's tracks - ahh the sounds of high school!!

    We had:
    Lovefool by the Cardigans
    Steal My Sunshine by Len
    Every Me Every You by Placebo

    They definitely take me back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new car has been so much fun, Stef. Mind you, you're such a young un'! You don't even use CD players anymore...and surely the 90s and 2000s were just a couple of months ago? ;-) Off to go and listen to The Cardigans now. :-)

      Delete
  8. Love that you're enjoying your new car so much, Michelle. I remember having a car that whenever I approached hills I had to start speeding up half a mile before I got there. Will I make it, will I make it? Ahh, yes, did it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Sue -- that sounds like my old car. In fact, it sounds like every other car I've ever had. ;-)

      Delete