Jul 22, 2016

Romance Writers of America Conference Round Up




It's conference season again, so our posts are likely to be punctuated with pictures of slightly inebriated writers having lots of fun!

This year I was lucky enough to attend the Romance Writers America Conference in San Diego- a mere 16 hour journey that was well worth squishing into a small plane seat and watching hours and hours of films for.

It was my first visit to San Diego and hopefully it won't be my last. What a lovely place! The temperature was around 25C during the day with a lovely refreshing sea breeze that meant it never got too hot. As we arrived a few days before conference my roomie (Elizabeth King) and I spent some time sight seeing.

We had planned a trip over the border to Mexico, but that was cancelled, so Elizabeth and I took a trolley tour round the city, over to Coronado and into Old Town which is the original site of the first settlement there.


We tried 'swamp pop floats' (sarsaparilla and ice cream)- yum!

There were lots of opportunities to try authentic Mexican food... (YUM!!!!)


And Mexican drinks... (we weren't sure about these so we had to try a lot of them to make sure...)

We took a trip to San Diego zoo which is one of the best and most famous zoos in USA. We made some friends...

We were able to pick up our conference programme, badges and goody bags on Tuesday... one of the best things about conference...





Conference started for some people on Wednesday. My day was mostly meetings, but I was lucky to be a guest at the Beaumonde (Regency Historical) soiree where I learned three Regency dances and felt a little underdressed...

Thursday was a blur of workshops,  but I did get a chance for lunch with good friend and M&B Romance/Medical author Scarlet Wilson who had been nominated for not one, but two, RITAs... look who we met on our walk... (only in America, right?)

On Thursday evening I went to a very illuminating (and hilarious) workshop on cover shoots. A photographer and a model showed us the process they use to shoot different covers/poses in one day. Starting with clothes on (Amish style), to tops off... to kilts! And there was some audience participation...



After the Friday workshops (and a very interesting speaker who talked about Imposter Syndrome- which I may recap on here another time) there was the famous Harlequin Party where I bumped into another of our Lovecats, Kandy! Here we are tired and with aching feet from dancing, just about to head home to our hotel.


Saturday was another round of workshops (although none as hilarious as the cover shoot one, sadly). Then the glittery amazingness of the RITA/Golden Heart Awards Ceremony. I was lucky enough to be VIP guest to Elizabeth, who was up for TWO Golden Hearts in the historical category. We took the afternoon off and had our hair and make-up done, then headed to the event. I was in her shoes last year with my RITA nom, so I know how nervous she was; it's a very auspicious night, just like the Oscars! But she won!!! And made a lovely speech and we're all very proud of her! Here she is with her Golden Heart necklace.

It was late by the time we got to bed after all the celebrating. Heads were sore the next morning and we faced another long flight home. But I had the best time (as always), learnt a lot, laughed a lot and spent good times with my tribe. 

Are you looking forward to a conference/ work related fun? If so, what, where and when?  What's the best part for you?

14 comments:

  1. Thank you Louisa

    Loved seeing all of your photos and hearing about the conference, I have been lucky enough to be at a few of the Romance Writers of Australia Conferences and am going to this years in Adelaide next month to help with the book signing and I have also been to all of the ARRA conventions and am booked for the next one in Melbourne Fe 2017. What I love most about them is catching up with friends and meeting new friends having my TBR pile grow even more what more could I want :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, have a wonderful time in Adelaide, Helen! so wish I could be there

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a great time, Louisa. So jealous of all the pictures and tweets especially of the boozy ones ;-)

    I watched the RITA's via live broadcast and cried when during Elizabeth's speech. So thrilled for her!

    Now...what on earth is that plastic thing from your goody bag?? With the black lid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fab speech, wasn't it? I think I'd have been in pieces if I'd had to go up there- kudos to her for holding it together! The thing with the black lid is a drinks bottle with an insert for fruit/herbs etc- stops them floating about and getting bits everywhere! Genius!

      Delete
  3. If I say I'm jealous, you'll tell me to go with you next year. Love those photos, and heard from your partner in crime the Mexican drinks were the best. Looking forward to celebrating Elizabeth's Golden Heart win with her at our next meeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's a seat on that plane just for you, Sue!! Enjoy the celebrations- looking forward to more in Auckland in a few week's time!

      Delete
  4. I'm desperately jealous! But so great to see your pics and all of the fun you were having. I gave a big cheer when I saw Elizabeth had won the Golden Heart. :-)

    I will admit to really looking forward to RWAust's upcoming Adelaide conference -- there'll be so much fun to be had catching up with everyone and drinking mojitos in the bar. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so lovely to know Elizabeth had so much support across the world!!!

      I wish I was going to Adelaide too- would have been lovely to catch up with the rest of the lovecats. Enjoy! Have a drink (or two!) for me! xx

      Delete
  5. Looked like fun on FB, and sounds even more fun with the blog post.

    Work fun when you work in the tax department - haha! Aiming to attend RWNZ if it is in Wellington for 2017 (if it's not, it may take a bit longer to achieve attending). Based on attendance of the cocktail party last time RWNZ conference was in Wellington it will be fun. Best part - not sure yet.

    Call me ignorant but what's the PAN thing on the RWA badge about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crossing fingers for you that the RWNZ conference is in Wellington next year! The cocktail parties are always fun ;-)
      PAN = Published Authors Network

      Delete
  6. Looks like you had a marvellous time. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great, Annie! Maybe we'll see you there next year?

      Delete
  7. Wow, that sounds amazing, Louisa. So fantastic for Elizabeth!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great week all round, but particularly good for Elizabeth!

      Delete