Jul 18, 2016

Game on! with Stefanie London

I most definitely grew up as part of the video game generation. I was born in the 80’s, grew up in the 90’s with a computer in the house and had my first video game console at age 12 (it was a Super Nintendo and my first game was Mario World. I’ve had a slight obsession with the Super Mario Bros ever since.)

But I’ve always loved board games and card games. I played them a lot with my younger sister when we were growing up—snakes and ladders, checkers, monopoly, sorry (which I can now only say with a terrible Canadian accent) and so many more.

When my husband and I moved to Canada we went to an awesome board game café called Snakes & Lattes. I love the concept of a board game café – you get to try out new games and see if you like them before you buy all while having a coffee (or an incredible Nutella latte).

Snakes & Lattes totally renewed my love for this fun activity and since then our collection has grown. Here are a few that frequently get played in our house which you may not have heard about:

Sushi Go! (card game)
This is a fast-paced card game that involved passing hands of cards around a circle and trying get as many points as possible. It’s played in rounds and takes about 20 minutes to play. It’s great if you don’t want to invest several hours that are required for some other games (*cough Monopoly cough*)

Pandemic (board game)
This is a co-operative board game, which wasn’t something I’d ever tried before. All players work together to beat the game, essentially. In this game you have to stop the spread of diseases around the world and each player has a special ability that helps you do that.

Lords of Waterdeep (board game)
This game is more involved, has a longer play time and takes a little while to learn. But it’s a lot of fun – you spend the game trying to complete quests to gain points all the while trying to block attacks from your opponents. It has a fantasy theme (I believe it’s from the Dungeons and Dragon’s world) and the artwork is amazing.

Agricola (board game)
This is an agriculture-themed (hence the name) game where you have a farm that requires crops, livestock and food. You’re in competition with the other players but it’s less about attacking and more about personal strategy. Bonus points for the adorable little wooden animal pieces that come with it.

Exploding Kittens (card game)
Illustrated by the same guy who does The Oatmeal (aka my favourite comics) this game is the most backed Kickstarter project in history. We have the NSFW version (of course) so it’s definitely not everyone’s cup of tea. But it’s so much fun, is very quick to play and the artwork is hilarious. It’s a game of attrition/survival.

There are so many more games I could list here! Honourable mentions go to Settlers of Catan, 5 Crowns, and Forbidden Desert.


Are you a board game fan? What’s your favourite game to play?

14 comments:

  1. WOW Stefanie that café sounds great I don't play a lot of board or card games these days although we did many years ago and monopoly trivial pursuit uno canasta where some of our favourites plus snakes and ladders checkers and lots of dominoes with my Nanna. I do play with the grandkids here and there these days but mostly uno :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Uno is such a classic. We used to bring that one on holiday with us a lot since everyone can play and it's easy to carry. Such a fun game :)

      Delete
  2. Heaven's, back in my uni days we used to play a lot of Euchre and poker. And I used to love gin rummy. But I haven't played a board game in an age. What fun, Stef! I'd definitely give the board-game cafe a go -- what a great way to wile away a Saturday afternoon. :-) My game of choice from the ones you listed would have to be pandemic. It sounds like a great concept. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J and I quite enjoy having a date night there because it's a nice and relaxed.

      Pandemic is really fun and it's not a super long game either, so it's perfect if you've got people over too :)

      Delete
    2. Sorry I'm late to this- was in the air when this post came out, but wanted to say we play Pandemic Legacy which we all love! Best played by the same 4 players each time, it takes place over 12 months...you have to save the world from deadly viruses.

      Delete
  3. Scrabble is my favourite, Stefanie. When it's a freezing cold night and we want to sit in front of the fire I'll play a game against my husband. He cheats like crazy, making up words and looking perplexed when I challenge them. I mean, English was one of my best subjects at school. Then he learned if he took a long time to make a move I'd get fed up and rush to finish the game so I could go to bed and he'd win. I wised up, and had to stay up late for a while. :)
    Now I'm going back to those games the littlies play as my grandson gets older. All good fun and happy memories in the making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm maybe that's a male thing, my husband does the same thing! He's off the belief that you can add 'ing' to just about anything haha

      Delete
  4. Not much of a board game player these days... mainly because of a lack of people to play with. Didn't really get much opportunity as a child as when my brother and I weren't at each other (like chalk and cheese - even now) he was absorbed in tv and video games.
    Hadn't heard of those board games, but I do think I saw a pic about Pandemic on Louisa's FB last week or the week before (days are running together and the moment)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to find games for single or even two players, most of them are 3-4 and up. I've played a lot of Solitaire :)

      Delete
  5. Love the sound of a board game cafe, Stef!
    Like Michelle, I'm more of a card game gal - love card games! And like Sue, Scrabble is more my thing. But I do love Pictionary and Scategories (hmm, maybe because they're word based? :-) The hubby and kids love Monopoly but I refuse to play - the greed is depressing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much fun. I'm not sure if they have them in Australia, but they've really take off here in the last few years.

      Scategories is one of my favourites!! But no one else seems to like it so it doesn't get played much in our house.

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of that cafe, Stefanie. We are huge board game and card players in this house. Favourites are Settlers of Catan and Risk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Settlers of Catan is good fun, although it seems to the be the one that stirs the competitive spirit the most in our house haha

      Delete
  7. Stef, I love a good board game. Even if it's monopoly. Lately I've been trying some card based games like the ultra simple Moose in the House which is fun.

    ReplyDelete