Aug 1, 2014

Who ya gonna call? Stressbusters.

By Barbara DeLeo

Things are madder than usual in the DeLeo household, and that's pretty mad. I have a new day job, revisions are due in on a book on Monday, strategic planning is happening on the school board taht I sit on and I have another book due in in a month. I'm  also trying to get organized to go to conference in Sydney and Auckland. Oh, I'm also registrar for one of those conferences—I really mustn't forget that or I'll have 150 irate romance writers hunting me down

So, it's pretty clear what I'm doing at a time like this, right? Setting daily word counts, making sure I'm prioritizing everything and driving through that pain barrier, yes? Ahhh, no. Today I had one hour free from teaching and kid wrangling and trying to stem a tide of ants in the kitchen and what did I do? I went and had a facial, of course!

 Okay, the truth is that I'm a little bit addicted to looking after myself. I go to my chiroprator once every six weeks, a massage therapist about the same, and my beauty therapist about every month. Whenever I go to one of these places I always come away feeling completely different about the challenges ahead. I seem to think more clearly and I certainly smell a lot nicer. I've realised they all have a common factor that helps to turn my day around - a bed, with soothing music playing in the background and a chance to close my eyes in the middle of the day.

Yesterday I went to see my beauty therapist, Cherie. She's an old friend and walking into her treatment room is like being whisked away to some exotic, perfumed paradise. I'm not even sure what Cherie did to my face yesterday but there were hot towels and foamy stuff and thirty minutes to forget about my deadlines.

How about you? What do you do for yourself on a regular basis that makes you feel fantastic?




11 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara

    You do have a lot on your plate at the moment I don't think I would cope at all LOL for me just sitting and reading helps me unwind and I do that often of course :) I think that everyone needs time for themselves and we should make the time and enjoy.

    Looking forward to meeting you in a couple of weeks :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to meet you, too Helen! Yes, reading is the ultimate relaxation for me too, but at the moment I don't seem to be able to keep my eyes open, hence the attraction to lying down ;) Sometimes it's hard to make time but oh, so important.

      Delete
  2. It sounds as if you got value for money from your facial, Barb! I really, really want to find a place that does gorgeous aromatherapy massages (rather than that awful shiatsu massage which is SO NOT relaxing). In fact, would rather love to skive off today and do precisely that. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure did, Michelle! I know you do yoga too which is also on my list of things to try but I'd have to check out how many lying down poses there were for me to be convinced ;) I love anything aromatherapy too. I have a frech pear candle at the moment that I want to eat for breakfast it smells so good.

      Delete
  3. And you didn't even mention the four kids you have to nurture and feed etc…you are amazing. It's so important to care of yourself, especially when so many rely on you taking care of them.
    I like to take time out too- probably way more than I should! I have my daily exercise class (usually zumba but not always)…then I like coffee with friends (NOT every day but once a week). Then there's 20 minutes meditation, which i try to do every day but usually manage a few times a week. If I didn't do those things I'd go mad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are amazing for managing to do a daily exercise class, Louisa! I must chat to you about Zumba, though I fear there aren't too many lying down moves :/ And I didn't know you meditated. Must talk to you about that too. It's always one of those things that I keep meaning to start.

      Delete
  4. Wow, you have so much going on! I hope you make all deadlines, including the conference ones.

    For me, that stress less time is usually a long bath on a winter's evening. Sigh. Just so relaxing. In summer - probably time in the garden or curled up somewhere quiet with a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warmth, lying down, the ability to include a book to read—baths are definitely on the top of my list too, Annie. I haven't had as many baths this winter as I usually do but intend to rectify that tonight after your suggestion!

      Delete
  5. Wow! That's a lot on your plate. I would have already hit breaking point.
    For me, time reading or doing cross-stitch is great for reducing stress. The other useful thing, that I'm trying to get back into the swing of is regular gym sessions. I've found even if I'm tired and sore when I go in, I always come out smiling (even if the pain hasn't disappeared).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, I think I did hit breaking point yesterday when I totally forgot to teach the class I was scheduled for! I teach English at an all girls school and for some reason I just forgot that class was scheduled. The little minxes didn't come and find me in my office either! Isn't the gym great? It's another thing that's fallen by the wayside for me but I definitely know what you mean about coming out smiling after a session.

      Delete
  6. Barbara, with all that stacked up on your to-do list you have to look after yourself! And I have to say I thoroughly approve of your excellent regime of pampering for therapeutic reasons!

    I'm not quite as regular about it as you are but I do go to my myotherapist regularly and get the kinks massaged out. I always come out feeling lovely and relaxed, though I confess it's sometimes a bit torturous while she finding those sore spots!

    ReplyDelete