Mar 24, 2017

Street art...or graffiti?

Is it graffiti? Is it art?

It's becoming a thing. Whichever city I find myself in these days there's always an enclave of art, storeys high.  Someone must have commissioned it-surely? Or is it a movement to make the streets more pleasurable to walk along?

I have to admit I'm becoming a bit of a fan and look forward to seeing what the flavour's going to be wherever I'm going.

A couple of years ago in San Francisco we made a special journey to have a look at a couple of streets famous for their art (actually, the only reason I knew about them was because I'd been watching a series on TV called Sense8 which had a scene with characters running down these alleyways). We were amazed at the detail.

San Francisco

San Francisco

San Francisco

San Francisco- this is on a wall! Wow!

San Francisco- yes, this is someone's garage

San Francisco - where is the door handle??

Hahndorf, Adelaide Hills
Recently we visited Adelaide and were very pleased to see the movement is catching on there too! And the next two photos are from toilet walls in one of the cafes...all hand drawn. Amazing!

Toilet Art!

Toilet Art 
In Adelaide our Airbnb apartment looked straight onto this scene. We loved the funky feel and wondered who the woman is?
Adelaide
Street art is taking off here in Auckland too. In one of the more 'vibrant' areas of the city an artist was commissioned to do a huge piece on a wall, ten feet high. We bought a print copy, because it was funny and funky...and there are only 69 copies available.....I'll leave you to work out why. (Sorry the photo isn't great, I couldn't stop the light from getting in).
Wall Art made into a print (wall art in our house)
So, do you have anything like this where you live? Do you like it? Is it 'art' or just graffiti?


9 comments:

  1. I love that street art, Louisa. It feels so funky and vibrant. My old home town of Kurri Kurri started up a program of murals that are on lots of buildings in the town which showcases the area's history. It certainly adds both colour and interest. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, aren't those murals fantastic? I love them and sometimes think I'd like to spend more time there, discovering them all.

      Delete
    2. I love that your old town has embraced mural, Michelle!! It's a great way of celebrating the community's history and adding a well needed splash of colour. I'd love to see them!

      Delete
  2. I love street art too, adds such a vibrancy to a city. If you're ever in Melbourne check out Hosier lane and ACDC place, they've got some incredible art there and makes for great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Stef! I'll definitely meander those streets next time I'm in Melbourne (whenever that is!! LOL)

      Delete
  3. Hi Louisa

    That is so pretty and yes there are bits around Sydney as well not a lot there is a lot of the not so good kind I think there should be more there are so many walls especially along the train lines that would look beautiful :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine in a big city like Sydney there are lots of different kinds of 'wall art', Helen, and not all of it lovely! You're so right, having someone do some murals along the backs of buildings would be lovely for the people coming to town by train!

      Delete
  4. Louisa, what great photos! Yes, it can be such fun. I've seen some terrific pieces of art on walls in France and Germany as well as a few here in Australia - Kurri as Michelle mentioned and in Melbourne. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them, Annie! I'm hoping to head to Europe next year so looking forward to seeing some art there! x

      Delete