Mar 6, 2017

All About The Planning

by Bronwyn Jameson

I am a planner by nature.  I believe I’ve admitted before that this should have been my career. Planning in some guise or other, whether as an EA running someone else’s life, or a travel planner, or an events planner, or a book planner (I wish this were a real job -- can I admit that I love planning a story about 1000% more than actually writing it?)

This extends beyond writing to other areas of my life. Perhaps I should say, to ALL areas of my life.

I have a spreadsheet for pretty much everything.  Books read, books bought and unread, books wishlisted.  Finances, macro and micro.  Shares.  Frequent flyer points.  Credit card spending.  I do a weekly meal plan and shopping list according to the menu. (Full disclosure: I don’t always stick to the plan, but that’s another story!)

My greatest enjoyment of all comes from travel planning.  My family cannot believe how much time and effort I put into the process, but here’s the thing: I do it because I love it.  The googling, the reading, the budgeting.  The shuffling of options.  If only we could stay at ALL the hotels on my carefully curated list!  If only we could do ALL the day-trips!  If only we had more days, more nights, more weeks! 

Afternoon tea with a view: Aqua Shard
Our big trip this year is to London, primarily to visit our son and daughter-in-law, but with a side-trip or three.  Hence my wish for more time than we can afford to take!

I've decided in recent years that every trip should include at least one bucket-list item and special treat. The treat is likely to be food and beverage related,  something I would usually reject as ridiculously overpriced or unhealthily calorific (or both!)  A starred restaurant or cocktails with a view or an afternoon tea somewhere iconic.  That kind of thing.

A room with a view: Hotel Endsleigh
As for the bucket-list, I'm tossing up between staying in a castle or a grand country house which, come to think of it, would also be a special treat.  But, oh, the fun of the research.  The choices! The rooms! The history! The countryside views! THE FOOD!

Decisions must be made at some stage in the next few months, and then bookings. But for now we’ve locked in the flights (a big bucket-list tick) and booked accommodation for our London stay.  The rest I’m dragging out while loving every day of anticipation.   

How about you...  Do you love the planning almost as much as (or even more than) the doing?  

What do you like to plan, and what areas of your life do you prefer to wing?



16 comments:

  1. Oooh! How exciting, Bron! When are you heading to London? We'll be there in September - timed our visit with AMBA.
    Love that pic of the Shard. If you go for lunch with your Harlequin ed you'll probably end up there :-) I had lunch with my ed there last year as the offices are right next door tot the Shard! And if you're in that neighbourhood you must go to the Borough markets although as you DIL is a real foodie I'm sure she'll drag you there anyway. We discovered it on our last trip and we're already planning to visit again in September.
    Planning....I wouldn't say I enjoy it but that kind of thing does fall on my shoulders, as far as holidays go anyway but other than that spreadsheets give me the heebie jeebies :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. September! Would it not be funny to be wandering along Southbank or Piccadilly or the Strand and run into each other? Stranger things have happened!

      Borough Markets is def in the spreadsheet. One of my favourite things as well, a food market, combining two of my favourite things: food and shopping.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love trip planning, Bron -- it adds so much to the anticipation and excitement! Looking at all of the things one can do, all of the options...oh, happy sighs. I love London and hope you have the most fabulous time.

    As for other kinds of planning...well, I plan what needs to be planned because I hate feeling disorganised, but I'm not sure I'd say I love it -- it's just a necessary evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit that there are degrees of enjoyment to my planning obsession, with travel leaps and bounds ahead of anything else. Some border on the realms of 'necessary evil' even for me.

      London: I love this city and with it being my husband's first visit, I'm really looking forward to seeing it through his eyes.

      Delete
  3. How awesome for you I would really like to plan more and then stick to it LOL but I often just do things like I have just booked a cruise which sails in 35 days :) don't get me wrong we have been talking about this for over a year now as it is my 60th birthday and our 40th wedding anniversary in April but finally said yep lets do it I do wish I could plan better :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go you on the cruise-booking!!! If this were me, I'd spend the next 35 days planning each day on board ... which kind of defeats the purpose of cruising which is to relax and do whatever you feel like from the smorgasbord on offer.

      And what perfect reasons to book such a treat. Happy special birthday and happy upcoming anniversary!!!

      Delete
  4. Bron, I'm so impressed with all your plans! Wish I had some of those lists of yours. I do start some and some I maintain but a lot fall by the wayside.

    As for travel planning, I'm a big of a mix. I used to do lots and lots of planning and loved it. These days I do some, and leave it to Mr West to do a lot, as I find myself flat out meeting my writing deadlines. So in the end it turns out to be some careful planning and then days that are pure serendipity! Always something exciting and unexpected to discover.

    Hope you get to the Shard, Bron, it's great for the view as well as the restaurant. Love the sound of a country house hotel. We're having a special high tea in London when we go in May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, there is a lot to be said for those unplanned days -- often you find unexpected places or people and have the best time of the whole trip. I need to remember this and plan some unplanned days! LOL.

      Ooh, you're off in May. That will come around soon. I must pick your brain about the best places for tea.

      Delete
  5. I am our family planner. I have to plan things out ahead of time, especially travel, as my hubby is disabled and I need to make sure he has help at home (even if it's just my sons dropping in once a day) if he's not going with me. No travel plans this year so far.
    The rest of the time I am the great procrastinator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, I have a similar situation which has enforced my need to plan. We have a son, now adult, who lives with us and needs 24/7 supervision. So even an impulsive weekend away comes with necessary planning.

      (And, oh, I did mention not always sticking to my plans, right? That would be the procrastinator in me.)

      Delete
  6. Oooooh!!! Off to London - one of my favourite cities.

    I'm such a planner Bron. Plan, plan, plan. I don't know how I'd get everything done without a lovely plan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, Jenn, my spirit animal. :-) If only I could stick to all my plans as I know you do.

    And, yes, London. *Happy sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do have lists for loads of things, Bronwyn, but not so great on the planning. Which is why my man is the perfect opposite because he rarely makes rash, spur of the moment decisions. Currently he's doing your travel thing, checking out a gazillion hotels, trains, flights, sightseeing things, for our trip to Europe in May/June. Whereas I would've had it all done within a couple of weeks and it would not go as smoothly for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I'm sure you and your man travel very well together with a combination of his planning and your spontaneity. And your trip is but a few months away; that will pass in no time. Excitement!

      Delete
  9. Hi Bronwyn - oh, London...how wonderful. As for me and planning...nope...I don't plan anything LOL. The last holiday we went on I told the travel agent what I wanted and she planned everything for me...it was bliss! Enjoy your holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Y'know, I used to do the same Helen and was perfectly happy with that arrangement. I'm sure I would be, still, if it weren't so easy to now be your own travel agent. My dream job. LOL.

    ReplyDelete