Mar 17, 2017

Gentle(wo)men Prefer Blondes!

Actually, I'm not really sure that's true. But when I was recently trolling Google images for snaps of hunky men, a friend of mine pointed out that I always seemed to stop and ogle the one's of the fair haired variety.

Now, this came as something of a surprise to me, because I have always insisted I was more in the tall and dark and handsome corner. More Greek god, than Nordic Prince. But then my friend pointed out that my husband was in fact, blonde....and so the self-reflection began.

As an author, and in the need to create effective characterization, at any given time I have several of what my husband calls my "Hollywood Boyfriends". Not that I only write fair haired heroes...I've had heroes with Italian heritage and in the book I just handed in to my editor that comes out in August, my hero is African American. At the moment though, my favorite is the lovely Armie Hammer. I just love this scene from The Man From Uncle....


My next favorite fairish haired hero type is Chris Pratt... usually more of a funny guy and in this scene from that awful movie Jurassic World (sorry to any fans out there) he gets to briefly lock lips with Bryce Dallas Howard...I love the look on the kids faces as they watch their usually uptight aunt Claire kiss the roguish Owen.


My fair-haired favorite number three is, of course, Chris Hemsworth. Okay, so anything with Chris Hemsworth is worth watching. Whether he's Thor, a race car driver, trying to catch a white whale or when he's playing the tortured Huntsman...really, the man is so beautiful he can do no wrong. And by all accounts he's a great husband and dad too, so he gets extra credit!


 
So, what's your poison? Tall, dark and handsome? Or fair and fabulous? Would love to hear which way you swing!

14 comments:

  1. My hubby is blonde too, Helen so I have a propensity for blonde heroes. I was told many years ago by an editor that blonde men on covers didn't sell so well though.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AA - yes, I think it's accepted that blond heroes aren't best sellers...but I have seen (and had on a couple of my books) 'fairish' haired heroes...but maybe they are just light brown :)

      Delete
  2. Amy, much as I appreciate the handsomeness of dark-haired men.I am attracted to blond men. My husband is blond (brownish grey now!) with blue eyes as was my ex husband.
    After that initial attraction though, it does come down to personality though doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kandy - yes, personality is all that really matters. But blondes are kinda nice :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Helen

    I am drawn to Tall Dark and Handsome for some reason in books but overall I love them all my hubby has (or Had) brown hair my son is blonde and I have red headed grandchildren so variety is the spice of life :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen - looks like you're one of the lucky ones who get to have them all! :)

      Delete
  4. Hmmm, actually I think I like both, Helen.

    I love Chris Pratt - he's fantastic in everything he is in. And Chris Hemsworth just lives down the road, so I'm hoping to run into him soon (a number of friends have a the local fruit and veggie shop!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn - so, Chris H lives down the road? You poor thing, how awful for you :) Let us know if you get a sighting! :)

      Delete
  5. Hm, interesting. I think I'm drawn to dark headed men but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a blond hero. Laughing though - the cover of my first book featuring a blond hero in the UK actually had a man with black hair and a black beard to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie - yes, I'm hearing you. I once got a blond on the cover when my hero had dark hair - maybe we got each others hero lol. :)

      Delete
  6. Hmm, thinking about my exes, I think I'm partial to dark and handsome. That said, I've been single for a few years so who knows what my tastes currently are.
    When it comes to my reading, that cover better match the author's description in the book, I HATE it when the cover is at odds with the story, either in terms of character's looks, character's clothing or just what is happening on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lyn - it is annoying when the cover and inside don't match :) I recently read a book where a dark haired hero has a young child on the cover - turns out he was a blond with a teenager...go figure :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a tall dark handsome fan myself - in writing and life - but your post here is a revelation. I'd never noticed how many fair-haired heroes there are in Hollywood right now! Might just have to google hot blonde actors - you know, for research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ally - blondes are taking over Hollywood! Am very happy about that, must say :)

      Delete