Oct 25, 2017

Why are tropical islands so alluring?—Kandy Shepherd


What is it about a tropical island that makes it such an appealing setting for a romance novel? 

I’ve just returned from a week staying on the small island of Nusa Lembongang, near Bali in Indonesia.

Mushroom Bay

 I can attest that the exotic setting, the heat, the lush tropical growth, the beautiful azure sea, all contribute to an all-round relaxed sensuality. The fact it’s too hot to wear much clothing also helps!


The lumbung where we stayed at the Hai Tide resort

There were some beautiful young honeymooners at the island while were there. It made this romance writer’s heart melt to see them so blissed out together—and also happy my husband of twenty-eight years and I were able to spend some relaxed, stress free time together. 

View from our room

Perhaps what makes a tropical island so popular for real-life romance is what works in a romance novel! What do you think?

So romantic eating on a beach watching the sunset - and not having to cook the dinner!

 Will I be using the gorgeous island I just visited as a setting for a book? But of course—I’m writing it now!

Tropical flowers add an extra layer of appeal, here a heliconia

I’d love to see your thoughts on why or why not a tropical island mades a good setting for a romance novel!



11 comments:

  1. Hi Kandy

    What a beautiful place to stay and yes it is so romantic the sea the setting it seems so serene made for couples to come together in love and talk and reflect can't wait to read this one when it is written :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Helen, when you reviewed my Conveniently Wed to the Greek, you mentioned that the story "took me to Greece". I've really kept your comment in mind when I'm writing settings!
      I hope you enjoy a trip to this beautiful Indonesian island when you read my story set there. I'm enjoying writing it because it takes me back! (Not to mention I'm getting very fond of my hero and heroine.)

      Delete
  2. Kandy, I'd love to read your romance set on a tropical island. It's the sort of location I really enjoy! Maybe I need a research trip...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A research trip sounds like a wonderful idea Annie. Nothing like authenticity, is there!
    Apart from the actual research, I think some time away from our everyday environments really helps trigger our creativity. Not just in the beautiful environment but in the people watching too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a tropical island makes a great setting, Kandy. All that tropical heat to spice things up. And I agree - time away from your usual environment definitely gets those creative juices flowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, I think there's also an element of being away from people who know you with - for a romance novel, I'm not necessarily saying real life! - a consequent lowering of inhibition.

      Delete
  5. Tropical islands are so alluring because it's not what we experience every day. It's the stuff of fantasies for many people....throw in a handsome, hot hunk, a beautiful heroine and sultry nights on a beach, and you will have me reading non stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon you've summed that up perfectly Laurie! Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Tropical islands are so special, Kandy, very different to home. So relaxing. I've set a book in the Cook Islands and the readers loved it. These are not your everyday places for most of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cook Islands sound lovely Sue! I think that's the thing, isn't it that tropical islands are not everyday, are escapist and with a big element of fantasy.

      Delete
  7. The perfect pictures to look at while it's grey and dreary outside!! I'm going to pretend I'm there for a few minutes :D

    ReplyDelete