Sep 1, 2017

#TeamWill

My current heroine is high school drama teacher with a particular fondness for Shakespeare.

I studied the Bard quite a bit as a part of my double English major at university. (I'm still miffed that my professor was not swayed by my theory that the tragedy of Hamlet truly lies in the lives and fates of Ophelia's family. Sweet, Laertes...)  I was a super fan long before that. In fact I credit Kenneth Branagh's Henry V as being one of the major stepping stones that led me to being a writer today.  When he says, "You have witchcraft in your lips" - oh my.

All of which will no doubt colour my heroine's rather dramatic view of the world.

For those of you who love a little Shakespeare, do you have a favourite romantic quote?

I started searching for some favourite romantic lines and lost a blissful hour of my life swimming in them. The man is such a master of sharp wit and subtle pain.  Of warm gooiness and grand proclamation.

How about a quote to live by?  Again - too many to count.  The man just knew how to put words together in a way that made sense!

And funny?  So so funny.

How about a favourite character?

My heroine likes Will's men :).  (She does spring from my head after all.)  When she gets a gander at her hero she thinks something like this:

Up close and personal he’d been rather intimidating.  All darkly scowling eyes and that muscle ticing in his impossibly square jaw he’d appeared to be a Hamlet shoe in.  Now, from a distance, with those curls and proud square shoulders he’d make a fine Laertes. Then again she’d had a good grip on that which was hidden beneath the suit.  A dashing Mercutio, perhaps?
 
Where do you fall on the Shakespeare Scale - from "Don't Know Him, Don't Care To" all the way to "#TeamWill"?

16 comments:

  1. Not Team Will, I'm afraid, but I do love his wit and wordsmanship as evidenced by your quotes. My fave: "I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed." LOL.

    Also loving that your heroine is a Shakespeare geek and already imagining how that will colour her world and actions. Guess I'm #TeamAlly!

    (Although now you have me checking my London schedule to see where I can fit Much Ado at the Globe.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snap Bron! Off to look at the Globe programme!

      Delete
    2. Oh I'm jealous!!! We did a tour of the Globe when in London but missed a chance to see a show. One of my fave pats was reading the paving bricks - people were asked to donate to help rebuild and they each got a paver with their name on them. The Monty Python ones are hilarious.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the heads-up, Ally. Will have that head down looking for the Monty Python bricks!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Will, "how do I love thee? Let me count the ways" (though, that of course is Elizabeth Barret Browning). Yep, count me in #TeamWill. One of my favourite quotes is from From Mistress Anne Page in The Merry Wives of Windsor: Alas! I'd rather be set quick i' the earth, and bowled to death with turnips.

    What a great image! The man certainly had a way with words. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't count me in on the team, though I've always enjoyed Shakespeare and will go watch a play. But look forward to checking out your heroine when she's ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, your heroine sounds such fun!

    Definitely on the team with you but choosing a single quote is impossible. There are just so many good ones. Amazing when you see or read a play you haven't come across in a long time to recognise so many of the lines as things we quote now. He definitely had a wonderful way with a phrase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's phenomenal how many lines we use today are his. A man before his time, to be sure.

      Delete
  5. I think he had great wit, Ally, and love that in his day he wasn't considered a literary genius and that he wrote for the masses. So I do feel some solidarity with him.
    I'm think I like him in smaller doses however - give me his sonnets any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of his sonnets are truly transcendent. Cut to the heart of things, he did.

      Delete
  6. That is a really good post but I am not a Shakespeare fan we did The Merchant of Venice in school and I didn't enjoy it sadly. They really are great quotes though :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High school can take the fun out of Shakespeare :). Might be time for another go!

      Delete
  7. I love the Bard! My husband put this on a Valentine's Day card : "Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale her infinite variety. Other women clay the appetites they feed, yet she makes hungry, where most she satisfies..." from Antony and Cleopatra. Of course, when I need motivation I recite the "This day is called the feast of Crispian" speech from Henry V. Yes, I'm a Shakespeare nerd.

    ReplyDelete