Sep 18, 2017

In Praise of Coming Home...

I’ve been travelling a lot the last few months, and as much as I’ve had an incredible time seeing new places and meeting up with writer friends, I always love coming home. I guess that’s a good thing – I’m always excited to leave for a holiday and always excited to come home.

So I thought I would share with you my favourite things about coming home after a trip away:

1. Sleeping in my own bed – this is almost the biggest one. My bed was a bit of an investment, but it’s the comfiest bed going around and I love sleeping in it.

2. Not living out of a suitcase – it’s nice to be able to walk into my closet and pick out my outfit for the day without everything being rumples (I pack neatly at the start of the trip – but by the end all bets are off!)

3. Eating well – I tend to indulge on holiday with food and drink, so by the time I get home I just want a huge veggie soup!

Home Sweet Home
4. Getting back to work – I love my job, so I actually miss it when I travel! Inevitably, I will come up with a new story idea during my travels and so when I get home I take all the notes out of my phone and put them into my computer so they don’t get forgotten.

5. Seeing friends – of course!

6. Getting back in my routine – I definitely thrive from having a routine. I sleep better and wake up easier. Boring, I know! But I’m a creature of habit.

7. Not risking spoilers for Game of Thrones – when we were in Australia, I could barely use the internet for fear of spoiling myself. The night after we got back, we went to a friend’s place and had dinner while catching up. And then the internet was safe again.



What are your favourite things about returning home after a trip?

11 comments:

  1. I love, love, love travelling, Stef! It's one of my favourite things in the world. But there are definite delights in getting back home again. Like you, my bed is a big draw card for me. And there's joy to be had in routine when one's well has been well and truly replenished. Enjoy your bed and routine and all the lovely things about being home again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's certainly good to be back, but give it a few months before I get itchy feet again lol

      Delete
  2. I agree, I love coming home to my own bed. The second thing I miss is being able to make a cup of tea and have it in a thin bone china cup, just the way I like it. The third thing is being able to make my own comfort food, things as simple as toast and scrambled eggs., and home-made chicken soup if I am not feeling great. Again, made just the way I like it. Your own personal possession e.g. favourite throw rugs on the couch, and familiar TV shows. I settle back in quickly, and then look forward to the next trip away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those little rituals, tea in your favourite cup etc! There's just something so lovely about perfecting those everyday moments and getting then just right :)

      Delete
  3. The next best thing to travelling is coming home. The best things about that for me are: clothes in the closet and drawers, getting back to work as I don't like not writing at least some of the week, and my teapot. Yep, nothing like a proper cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea is never the same out as what you can make at home. I still haven't found my perfect tea pot yet, must keep looking :)

      Delete
    2. They're not easy to find but the collection as you search is amazing. My mother used to ask shop owners to put water in a teapot she fancied so she could take it out to the street and test the pouring!

      Delete
  4. Hi Stefanie

    For me it is my own bed as well no matter how comfortable the bed was I was sleeping in nothing is like my own and I have just returned home from a 4 day cruise with kids lots of fun but I am looking forward to getting back into routine :)

    Have Fun

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few days late in my reply to this.
    Totally agree that as enjoyable as travel is, coming home almost always feels really good. Even just visiting family, I find I never sleep as well as I do in my own bed. Hehe on the suitcase thing, I haven't mastered packing light yet simply because I do a lot of 'but I want to bring x y z ... just in case' and there's something to be said for the freedom of having that particular outfit that makes you feel good or you want for that day. I haven't travelled enough to know what my eating habits are like when I travel, but I already know if I indulge in takeaways/other non-homecooked food often enough, I crave good, nutrious home-cooked food.
    Routine is not a boring reason for being home - when I'm sticking to my routine I always feel much better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Stef, you packed a lot into your recent travels!
    I love travelling too but it's always great to be home. I really miss my cats while I'm away and always glad to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Stef- currently in the middle of my overseas trip and I have to say I'm very much looking forward to not living out of a suitcase when we get home :-)

    ReplyDelete