Dec 19, 2016

Stefanie London's 2016 in numbers...

How is this the last post for 2016, already? I swear, each year seems to fly by with increasing speed. I was thinking about what to do for my ‘wrap up’ post on this blog and how I might be able to make it a little different.

So, I thought it might be fun to review my year…in numbers. Now, I’m definitely a quality over quantity kinda gal, but there’s a little left-brained part of me that really enjoys counting things. So, here goes:

In 2016 I have…

4 years married to this amazing guy
Been to five countries outside Canada (Germany, Austria, England, Australia, and Jamaica) and one province outside Ontario (Quebec).

Read 49 books (and hope to get another two in, at least, before New Years) and bought way too many to count!!

Written 232,000 words, released 4 books and sold 9 more to publishers.

Celebrated my 32nd birthday, 4th wedding anniversary (and being with J for 13 years!!) and two years in Canada (as well as getting our permanent residency status - woo!)

Consumed far too many flat whites to count.

And, since I’m a writer and know that numbers don’t always tell the whole story, here are a few highlights that can’t be quantified in numbers:
  • This was my first full year as a full-time writer. Last year I was still working in retail (as a makeup artist for MAC Cosmetics) for the first few months, so 2016 marks the year that I worked for myself for a full year. That is a pretty amazing thing. 
  • I hit a bestseller list (The USA Today with Pretend it’s Love) and was nominated for a major award (The RWAus RBY award with Pretend it’s Love). Both of those things are not just highlights for 2016, but for my writing career to date.

So many places to go...
I loved Helen’s post about what she plans to do for 2017, so I’m going to ‘borrow’ it and put a few things down here. Here are some of my plans for next year:
  • More travel! Both J and I are going home to Australia in August and doing a short stop-over holiday on the way back in San Francisco. Plus, we’re hoping to go to the US (possibly Vegas).
  • I’m planning to go to two writer’s conferences next year – Romance Writers of America conference (in Florida) and Romance Writers of Australia conference (in Brisbane).
  • Write more words! I actually wrote less words this year than I did last year due to a crazy editing schedule, and some particularly difficult edits for one book which sucked a whole month out of my schedule.
  • See more of Canada, both in Toronto and outside. 

I hope you enjoyed seeing my year in numbers! I’d love to hear some of your 2016 highlights in the comments. I hope you all have an amazing end to the year and a brilliant start to 2017. See you in the New Year xx

16 comments:

  1. WOW what a year Stefanie fabulous well 2016 for me is my second year of retirement and I am loving it my 8th grandchild was born :) I have read 201 books in 2016 I set myself a challenge on Goodreads for 200 woohoo, I travelled to Adelaide to help with the book signing at RWA conference which was fabulous and for 2017 sees my 60 birthday and 40th wedding anniversary so fingers crossed we are hoping for a cruise in April.

    Merry Christmas to both you and J

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in awe of your 201 books read!! That's a fabulous effort. Sounds like 2017 will be an amazing year for you - 40th anniversary?? That's amazing. You're an inspiration, I hope that will be J and I one day :)

      Delete
  2. Stef, congratulations on a mega, mega year. You've made me decide to go back and check things link number of words written and books sold. Right now, after waking up way too early with the knowledge of all the things I need to get done today (sadly neither writing nor fun Christmas stuff) my mind is a bit too hazy. But I can say there were a few firsts during the year, including my first trip to the south of France and my first helicopter ride, and a few lovely reunions too. My aim in 2017 is to have more positives to celebrate! Looking forward to seeing you at RWAus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Those are some exciting firsts - the helicopter would have been amazing. That's on my bucket list to do :)

      I can't wait to see you and all the other Lovecats in Brisbane next year x

      Delete
  3. You've had an absolute stellar year! That word count and number books written/published are incredible. Can't wait to see you in August :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm definitely ready for a break :) So excited to be coming home to see everyone next year!

      Delete
  4. Fabulous set of numbers you have there!! And congrats on your first full year as a full time writer. That's a wonderful accomplishment. Here's wishing you all the best for 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's been a great year, a few ups and downs, but I'm really doing exactly what I want to do with my life. It's a great feeling :)

      Delete
  5. Hey Stef - loved your year in numbers :-)
    Highlights for me - first cruise and visiting Italy and London again. Not so many books out for me this year but the book with my sister as co-author out at the beginning of the year was special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that was a great feeling having a book out with your sister! What a great thing to do together :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, Stef! What a fab year you've had!!! Very well done!
    My writing highlights- RWA conference, winning a Koru, my first full length self-pubbed book and my first women's fiction book. I've also been incredibly lucky and done some amazing traveling (Tahiti, US, Hawaii and Rarotonga). Next year I'm going to Florida too- so, see you there for cocktails!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay!! I'm so glad you'll be at RWA - can't wait to catch up :) Yes, you had a stella year this year. Congratulations :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, Stef - amazing year. So impressive. So thrilled we can catch up in Brisbane next year.

    This year's highlight was being made the Chairperson of Byron Writers Festival. A big job which has messed a little with my writing schedule...but I just could say no to such an opportunity!

    Have a wonderful, wonderful Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so exited to be able to see everyone in person again! It'll have been 3 years since I went to an Aus conference.

      Oh that's a fabulous opportunity, congratulations! You must be thrilled :)

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful year you've had, Stef!:-) I haven't looked at my own numbers (mainly because I feel they're accumulating towards something in the future and can't yet be measured -- at least that's my excuse ;-)). But while it's been a tough year in lots of ways for the world, I've had some really lovely moments this year.

    Love your list of goals for 2017! Good luck on the travel front and looking forward to seeing you at the conference in August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I felt the need to count these things more than ever because 2016 has been a very trying, difficult year. Here's hoping that means 2017 will be rainbows and sunshine, right :)

      Sounds like you have some exciting things on the go! Can't wait to see you and the other LoveCats in August xx

      Delete