Dec 14, 2016

And they lived happily ever after


I have a book due in this week, so endings have been playing on my mind a lot recently.

A few years ago I received several Amazon reviews that all said they loved the stories but found the endings too rushed…so since then I’ve worked hard on trying to give my endings their proper weight and make then truly satisfying and sigh-worthy.

I’ve been turning to films to give me inspiration and these are the three particular film endings that I love this week (and, yes, you’re right, this selection does change with remarkable regularity to suit my mood). :-) But each of these endings is perfect in its own way, and each leave me with a big smile on my face and an utter sense of well being.

1. When Harry Met Sally
This is one of my all-time favourite movies. And one of my favourite tropes—Friends to Lovers (well, enemies-to-friends and then friends-to-lovers, but let’s not split hairs). Harry’s declaration at the end of the movie when he realises he’s in love with Sally is pitch perfect and wins Sally over utterly (as it should). This scene never gets old.




2. Northanger Abbey
When Henry Tilney arrives at Catherine’s hometown of Fullerton to apologise and make amends for the terrible treatment she received from his father, and she tries to apologise to him for having been so foolish and says, she deserved such discourtesy… He turns to her and says, “No! The discourtesy was all his.” Look, go and watch this short clip (if you’re stretched for time, move to the 2 min mark) and you’ll know what I mean. But…it’s all in the turn of his countenance.

Also, the kiss at the end is the sweetest kiss ever. :-)



3. Notting Hill
As a rule, I’m not a fan of the public declaration…but William Thacker, if he wants to win the girl, has absolutely no choice but to ask the question publicly at the Anna Scott press conference. And he does so in his usual bumbling but charming way, and, seriously, does anyone have a bigger smile than Julia Roberts? I think one of the elements that make this scene work so well is the reaction of all of William’s friends who’ve helped him get to the press conference in time—it’s such joyous ending.



As I said earlier, these are my three favourites today, but I’m always searching for wonderful endings. Do you have a favourite movie or book ending that makes you go gooey every time? I’d love to know.

23 comments:

  1. Oooh! Good movies. I love all the above. Of course, Dirty Dancing. Johnny's vindication is so sweet. Pretty Woman! Oh, and Sweet Home Alabama -- that line at her wedding: "I gave my heart away, my whole heart, and I never really got it back." So perfect and so true. Love works like that sometimes. In books, I always love the epilogue to really stitch the happiness together. I love to see the couple once the angst has passed and to enjoy their happiness with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that final dance scene in Dirty Dancing makes me swoon every time, Clare. Happy sighs. Pretty Woman and Sweet Home Alabama are fab movies to choose here too -- excellent endings.

      Hmm...after your comments about epilogues, I'm thinking I might have to add one to this current book. It is fun to see the hero and heroine enjoying their happy-ever-after. :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Michelle

    The only one of those I have seen is Notting Hill and that was a long time ago but I have to agree with Clare's choices as well very good. So many fabulous endings out there :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Helen! And there's nothing like a fabulous ending to make you sigh happily and feel all's right wit the world. :-)

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. Wasn't the scene in Northanger Abbey terrific? And yes, in Notting Hill, though I have to say it's the ensemble cast that wins the day for me with that film every time.

    How about that kiss in North and South? From memory it's not at the end but close. Wow! And the reunion scene in An Affair to Remember? Fantastic stuff.

    Good luck with the book, Michelle. I bet it's a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reunion scene in An Affair to Remember!! When he's so angry, and about to walk out, and then he puts two and two together... and she's so valiant and stoic. Hope seems lost and then, out of nowhere, REUNION. Oh! Makes me teary just to type this. That is just one of my all-time favourites!

      Delete
    2. Ooh, will I be committing romance writer sacrilege if I tell you that I haven't seen An Affair To Remember? Though it is the remake of the film Love Affair, and I have seen that. And it's a real grab you by the throat moment ending. So wonderful.

      Annie, I love that kiss from North and South (but I know some people won't agree with me, but I'm less than convinced that those two are going to have a happy ever after). Still...they certainly sizzle together. :-)

      Delete
    3. I haven't seen it either Michelle! A fact Clare Connelly has already derided me over ;-) Must find it now!

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure what about it always sticks in my mind, but I love the ending to Clueless. It will forever be a cherish movie, and there's something about the cheeky and sweet but not too serious tone that I love. Ticks all the boxes for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen that movie in SO long, Stef. You make me want to go and watch it again. Shall have to keep an eye out for when it's next playing. But, yes -- sweet, cheeky and fun ticks the boxes for me too! :-)

      Delete
    2. Oh, YES! I adore this movie and the ending is perfect. As IF!

      Delete
  5. I'm a big fan of pretty much all the movies -- and endings -- listed so far. *Many happy sighs*. A couple of others which come to mind: Four Weddings and a Funeral and Pride and Prejudice (the more recent one with Matthew Mcfadden striding across the fields.)

    Michelle, I agree with you on not being a fan, usually, of the big public declaration EXCEPT when it's necessary/essential. As in Notting Hill. Whenever I see a real-life Big Public Proposal I get a bit twitchy thinking: but isn't this a special thing just between you two, not you-two-and-the-rest-of-the-world? But then I don't get the whole social media world of sharing everything with everyone either. Maybe I'm just to old to understand. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the ensemble cast in Four Weddings, Bron. I'm a fan of the BBC version of P&P, but there's a point at the end where I always shout, "Kiss her!" and it never happens. So, yes, I muchly appreciate the Matthew Mcfadden striding across the fields moment. :-)

      Public Proposals make me shudder! It always feels as if there's an element of blackmail to them -- if you say, 'No', I'm sure everyone would hate you. But you can count me among the Old Fogeys too. ;-)

      Delete
    2. I think why it works in NH is because its not a public proposal scene. Its a *grovel* scene. A I've been so incredibly stupid please come back to me scene rather than a please marry me scene.
      My 2c anyway :-)

      Delete
    3. Exactly, Amy! Also, if he wants to win the girl there's no other option, but do the grovel/declaration publicly. And he does it so well. :-) Love that scene (and that movie) so hard.

      Delete
  6. Oh Michelle! You have made my time on the tready desk fly by - thanks you!
    I adore When Harry Met Sally. Not seen Northanger Abbey although that kiss is very sweet :-)
    My absolute fav is Ntting Hill. Its the best male grovel ever and will always be my fav rom com for that scene alone. It's fabulous!
    A couple of other I love is Dan In Real Life - a film that hardly gets any attention but is sooo good. And hello, Bridget Jones Diary! I swooooon at the end when she says, "Hang on, nice boys dont kss like that" and he says, "Oh yes they fucking do" Swoooon! Drop into a dead faint every single time and I have seen that movie probably about 30 times! I saw it 5 times at the movies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to be of service, AA. ;-)

      I'm sure I've heard you talk about Dan In Real Life before, so I just went and watched the movie trailer. It looks fab! I'll check it out at the DVD store next time I'm there. Oh, and that Bridget Jones' ending is wonderful. Colin Firth -- oh, be still my beating heart! Yes, perfect. :-)

      Delete
    2. P.S. Meant to ask, did you go and see Bridget Jones' Baby?

      Delete
    3. Yes, I did. I liked it a lot. Better than the 2nd movie by far. But not as brilliant as the first! Did you?

      Delete
    4. Yes, and I loved it!

      Feel the need to watch the first movie again very soon.

      Delete
  7. I still like Sleepless in Seattle. but then I'm a sucker for most romance movies. and those lines Amy quoted are awesome. Real.
    Now I want to go watch a movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I know, Sue -- I've been flicking through my dvd collection and wondering if I couldn't spare 90mins to watch something fun.

      Sleepless in Seattle is so wonderfully romantic. It's one of the movies I don't own...but I don't know why not. Might have to rectify that in the future. :-)

      Delete