Jun 21, 2013

The Rise Of Zombies....

By Helen Lacey

I hadn't actually  intended writing a blog about Zombies....but yesterday I saw the trailer for Brad Pitt's new movie, World War Z. It got me thinking how the humble Zombie seems to have become the favourite monster of the moment, taking over from the avalanche of vamp and werewolf movies and books from the past five or more years.

So I Googled Zombies and discovered a whole lot of information about these undead, slow moving, unkempt, often moaning creatures I certainly would want to come face to face with.

According to Wikipedia - Zombies are fictional undead creatures regularly encountered in horror and fantasy themed works. They are typically depicted as mindless, reanimated corpses with a hunger for human flesh, and particularly for human brains in some depictions. Although they share their name and some superficial similarities with the zombie from Haitian Vodun, their links to such folklore are unclear. Many consider George A. Romero's seminal film The Night of the Living Dead to be the progenitor of these creatures.

Why have these creatures become so popular? I mean, they're not mysterious and sexy like a vampire or strong and powerful like a werewolf. Is it that they are a simple enemy? Not easily conquered but easily understood? With vampires morphing from the creepy Boris Karloff to the seductive and angsty Edward Cullen over the course of a couple of generations, or werewolves no longer being mindless animals simply out for blood, it's easy to see why the zombie has become so popular.

Did you know there was something called a Zombie Walk? Where a large group of Zombie enthusiasts get together in costume and act out zombie moves? Here's the link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_walk

Zombies, it seems, are suddenly cool.

Are you a zombie fan? Do you have a favourite book or movie like Shaun Of The Dead or I Am Legend? Will you be going to see World War Z?

18 comments:

  1. I'm not a zombie fan, Helen. At least, I didn't think I was until a friend got me hooked (and I mean hooked) and that silly computer game Plants vs Zombies. I used to sneak off with my iPad and play in secret. Such a complete waste of time, but soooo addictive. I've weened myself off it now (actually that's a lie, I just finished every level so there was no where else to go!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta be honest - I dont get the Zombie thing. At all.

    My daughter talks about what we'll all do when the Zombie apocalypse comes and I say - they're not real, they dont exist. To which she replies - yet! I think she really thinks there's going to be a virus one day.....

    BUT here's the thing - I'm totally hooked on The Walking Dead. Like....download as soon as each espiosde has played on US tv hooked! But that's not about the Zombie's really - although man, they are disgustingly authentic - its about the age old question: who would you become if.....

    Also our very own Kylie Scott has written 2 zombie books (zomroms!!) - Flesh and Skin which are really quite fabulous! But again I think its the "world" where the enemy as you say above Helen, is common and people have to come together to survive that I love the most about her books.

    NO-one will ever convince me that Zombie's are sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, after all the levels, you need to play all the mini-games, including getting Vase Breaker Endless up to lots of flags. And Survival. And then you play all the levels again because your crazy neighbour has locked in some of the plants for the second time which makes it a little harder. You might notice I also became addicted. :)

    Helen, I wouldn't say I'm a fan of zombies either, but then I love Plants vs Zombies, and I loved, loved Amanda Ashby's YA book, Zombie Queen of Newburry High.

    Oh, and Shaun of the Dead - great movie! And I'm thinking of watching Warm Bodies - it looked cute.

    But other than that, I'm not a fan of zombies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a huge zombie fan here but have Shaun of the Dead at home as am a huge Simon Pegg fan. Got dragged to see 'Warm Bodies' last week. A YA zombie rom com. It was... interesting. The other movie goers walked out 1/3 in. We laughed anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo, Rachel. You mean there's more Plants vs Zombies - hooray!!

    I'm also a Shaun of the Dead and Simon Pegg fan!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, anytime you want to talk Plants vs Zombies, let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zombies? Hmm...no.

    Vampires? Oh, yes, they can be sexy. Werewolves? Well, I can certainly see the appeal. But Zombies...

    That said, I'm also a Shaun of the Dead fan. Maybe you've hit the proverbial nail, Helen, in that they're a simple villain -- mindless, un-redeemable and relentless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jennifer - I'm not much of a zombie fan either...but I do like it when the Supernatural boys fight this particular foe. And computer games seem huge with zombies at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rachel - I heard that Amanda Ashbury's book was fab...must check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zombies just don't do it for me at all. Nothing sexy about them I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Helen, I gather there are some terrific Z books out now but I haven't read any of them. Loved Shaun of the Dead and I even watched all of Zombieland which wasn't quite as difficult as I'd expected. I think it was the deadpan humour, but I confess I'm not a zombie fan. I'm wondering if the appeal is that how-would-we-survive-the-apocalypse sort of games. Speaking of which - Jenn and Rachel, I really don't need to hear about more addictive games!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amy - I've read Kylie Scott's Flesh and yes, it's fabulous...I think the whole 'common enemy' thing is right, zombie's are kind of unlikable and unredeemable...different to the often tortured werewolf or vamp with a soul :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Bec - I know someone who walked out through Warm Bodies...good that it made you laugh instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Michelle - I agree...zombies are a good, uncomplicated villain. Not sure I want one in the romantic lead capacity, would rather stick with vamps and werewolves :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think zombies themselves aren't sexy, but it's the people who are fighting them and trying to overcome them that draw me to movies that feature zombies. They might be slow moving (in most movies) and stupid, but there are always so many of them and they are sooo single minded and menacing. They make a great monster for heroes and heroines to fight against. This is even true for Warm Bodies, because ultimately, the hero is a zombie fighting his zombyism so he can get the girl.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mary - I'm with you, nothing sexy about a zombie :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Annie - I was keen to see Zombieland, so I'll give it a whirl :)Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Leisl - I think you've hit it on the head - zombie's aren't sexy...but warriors who fight them are.

    ReplyDelete