Aug 17, 2016

Unexpected Collections - Annie West and the Frog Prince

I have an assortment of items on my desk - little knick knacks and tokens from family and friends that make me smile when I look up from my writing. One of them is a little frog prince key ring given to me by my daughter. I was looking at it recently and suddenly realised that it was now part of a collection. An unintended collection.
You see, quite a few years ago I was writing a story about a hero who just refused to play nice. He was my heroine's worst nightmare, especially when she fell in love with him. Luckily for all concerned it turned out he had a heart of gold and a loving nature behind all that grumbling and posturing. As I wrote I thought of him as my frog prince - a hero who hid his true nature and would only turn into a real hero when confronted with the right woman.
 
While writing that book I visited a café and garden shop and look who was sitting, neglected in a corner? He's made out of cast iron and I had to bring him home. I set him in the garden where I could see him as I wrote and he was my talisman, my hope that I could finally, with a lot of work, turn this hero around.
 
My kids were fascinated and next thing I knew my daughter presented me with a little frog prince key ring. He's the one who sits on my desk. Then, many years later, I was in the most wondrous stationery store I've ever seen, in Berlin, and found a beautiful metal letter opener. I'm afraid the photo doesn't do it justice. You guessed it, though, another frog prince.
 
 
Earlier this year I was in Britain and my daughter again surprised me with a frog prince. This one is sleek but very cuddly and definitely has attitude. Other people bring home books and photos and snowglobes. My souvenir was a frog with attitude. Here he is on the way back to Australia.
 
 
Somehow I seem to have acquired an unexpected collection of frog princes! I don't think of myself as a collector and I've never been particularly successful at starting and sticking to a collection of anything much. But these guys make me smile and I wouldn't be at all upset if I discovered another amphibian joining the collection one day.
 
How about you? Are you a collector? If not, what would you love to collect if you had the time and resources?
 
And if you're a book collector (sorry, but I can't resist), don't forget my latest story THE FLAW IN RAFFAELE'S REVENGE. It could be a contender for your next read.

13 comments:

  1. Boring I'm afraid. I collect books. And Wedgewood. I have two complete black Wedgewood coffee services, so I can open a tea room. I also have a gorgeous black Wedgewood vase, a small green vase and a couple of little blue plates. Your frog princes sound so much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelagh, that's not boring at all. Now I think about it, I'm a book collector too. Yay! As for Wedgewood - lovely! I've got a soft spot for nice china. I'm smiling thinking of visiting you for afternoon tea and seeing the nice china.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, love your frogs! Hmm, wondering if I should write a frog prince story - you've got me thinking! I once imagined myself as a collector but having cleared out the house for sale (it didn't sell) a couple of years ago, I'm terrified of getting that much clutter again so I suspect I'm never going to be a collector after all. If I had endless space and endless money, I'd love to collect antique jewellery (actually it's the money rather than the space that's the problem there) or ceramics. I get quite potty about pots. Definitely space is needed for that second choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, I found when I was travelling in Turkey in particular that I love ceramics. Hand painted plates in particular. If only I had space I'd be bringing home all sorts of goodies. Love the idea of a collection of antique jewellery. If you start, let me know. I'd love to see it. :)

      Delete
  4. Aw, aren't your frog princes gorgeous, Annie? Perhaps especially the cuddly one with attitude. :-) I don't seem to collect anything except books (unintentionally)...and my house does seem to collect a lot of dust. ;-) Mind you, I do have quite a soft spot for a nice handbag and I have plenty of those. Maybe I could call it a collection. Except, maybe, that would give me permission to continue adding to the collection, which could be a little dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, once it's a collection it's dangerous because I think you're then half on the lookout for another. I'm with you on collecting books and dust. Sigh. But better than just dust by far.

      Delete
  5. Your Frog Prince theme is adorable, Annie! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, glad you like them, Yvonne. They make me smile.

      Delete
  6. Your frog princes are very cute, Annie. I don't really collect anything except books too. Hmm, seems to be a theme running through this discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that, Jennifer! Books are my favourite things apart from family and friends!

      Delete
  7. Oh Annie they are so cute I have quite a few elephants of various sizes and colours and this stems from being followed home from school when I was 6 by one LOL and now I have a few and it just happened but other than that yes I do love my books and have many and my signed ones are very precious to me :)

    I hope there are many more frogs that will be added to your collection

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Helen. I'm still fascinated by the story of your elephant. I remember you telling me about it ages ago. So of course you now have an elephant collection!

    Well, I won't go looking for frog princes but you never know when they'll happen along.

    ReplyDelete