Aug 29, 2016

Happy Travels

I've just returned from three weeks away - two weeks in New Zealand (including the RWNZ conference), followed a couple of days home to wash all my clothes, pat the dogs and see Mr Bailey, then off to Adelaide for the RWA conference.

Two things I learned about myself:
I love being away, seeing new places and meeting up with friends!
I love being home again in my own place, with all my dogs (and Mr Bailey) around me.

We've already had some photos from the Adelaide conference, so I thought I'd share a few from the NZ leg of my trip.

Leaving early on a Monday morning. This was about an hour into the drive and the sun was starting to peep over the horizon:



In Napier, I found a statue of a greyhound. It's like Napier was welcoming me personally!



The day I left Napier it was cold and rainy. I think Napier was as sad for me to go as I was.




Then it was on to Nelson, which has a gorgeous river walk.



And on the river walk was this very cool chair, honouring the NZ author Maurice Gee. Even more cool was that I was with his daughter, Emily Gee, who writes most awesome Regency and fantasy romances.





Also in Nelson, a cathedral. I love finding the cathedrals in towns I visit.



A quick trip from Nelson to Mapua for lunch. How awesome are these snow-capped mountains?




Seriously. How awesome?


Then a couple of days staying with fellow LoveCat, Barbara DeLeo. Her dog Cosmo made me very welcome.



 And onto the Romance Writers of New Zealand conference, where I was a guest speaker. Here I am enjoying the cocktail party with fellow guest speaker Jaye Ford.
  


The next night was the Awards Dinner, which was MCed by the amazing Barbara DeLeo. 



 The entertainment was a troupe of Regency dancers. Don't they look amazing?



In very exciting news, the winner of the short sexy Koru award was our very own Louisa George. That's her on the right, giving her acceptance speech.



 A quick selfie with Barb: 



Now I'm desperate to go back to New Zealand and explore the places I haven't seen yet. Tell me, is there anywhere you're desperate to visit? 

21 comments:

  1. Love your photos, Rach! You have me seriously considering popping across to the pond for the NZ conference next year. I could drag Mr Douglas along and we could extend our stay...hire a car...explore the countryside... Oh, happy sighs! :-)

    P.S. LOVE those snow-capped mountains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what fun that would be! And you could see our NZ-based Cats. Win-win. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, Michelle, do come, it would be epic!!!!

      Delete
  2. It was so lovely to see you, Rach! Come back soon!!!! You need to visit Northland and Wellington and pretty much all of the south island!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many more places to visit yet! I need to start making plans, Louisa!

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos, Rachel. I haven't been to New Zealand for many years and would love to go there again. I think I'd like to go in the summer, though!
    Like you, I love travelling but I like getting home too. My cats were rather unhappy I left them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the summer would be even nicer. There was definitely a nip in the air!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your pics, Rach! Even if I did have a little tear at that chair. What an awesome tribute!

    I'm desperate to see the pyramids in Egypt. But I'll not be going there in a hurry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that chair fabulous? And in such an inspiring place.

      Oh, the pyramids! After studying ancient history at uni, I've always wanted to go, too.

      Delete
  5. What an amazing August you have had. Love the pictures.

    I've only been to Auckland in NZ, so I'd love to see more of that beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, the NZ conference is in Wellington next year... :)

      Delete
  6. Oh boy.... I have way too many places on the must visit list, including too many in my own country. However, current 'visit' focus is RWNZ conference next year along with starting to save towards travel (probaby to Australia first).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I'm happy to share my city with any of the Lovecats who choose to attend RWNZ conference next year :)

      Forgot to add to original comment - I don't have a 'desperation' to travel, but at the same time I would be travelling more if I had the disposable funds.

      Delete
    2. Lyn, I'd love to make it to the RWNZ conference next year too - I've stopped in Wellington a few times, but never spent time looking around the city. And your lovely offer to share your city with us is even more incentive!

      Delete
  7. Rachel, what a gorgeous post! I love NZ and keep telling myself it's time to plan another trip. One day.

    So many places I'd love to visit, including Morocco, Corfu, Iceland, Tahiti... Okay, most places would be good. Even a weekend in the bush somewhere close to home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Annie, your list is amazing! Don't suppose you want a travel buddy for those future trips? Or even someone to carry your bags? :)

      Delete
  8. Lovely photos! Wow those mountains look incredible, I would so love to go to NZ. Makes me sad that it was so close for so many years and I hadn't gone. But it's definitely on my list for when we eventually return to Australia along with a few other key Australian places like the Barossa Valley, all of Tasmania and Perth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stef, it's interesting when you stop and think what's right under your nose, isn't it? Mind you, I'm practically green with jealousy seeing all the gorgeous places you'v been visiting since you moved to Canada!

      Delete
  9. Hi Rachel

    Those photos are so lovely and we too loved NZ when we were there we did a cruise and stopped everyday somewhere for the day for I think it was 8 days and we have said we need to re visit and see some more and yes Napier is gorgeous :)

    And it was great catching up with you in Adelaide loved the hugs

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, a cruise around NZ would be lovely - it would take out the need for the flights.

      Nothing like a Helen Hug! :)

      Delete