Aug 15, 2016

How I Relax with Stefanie London

At the moment I'm knee-deep in deadlines (although it feels a little more like neck-deep at times!!) I've had a few of those 'I've definitely bitten off more than I can chew' moments in the last couple of weeks, which tends to happen whenever I'm feeling overwhelmed.

So, in order to unwind and make sure I don't fall in a heap, I have a few go-to things that help me keep a clear head (and hopefully bring the stress-levels down to a more manageable level).

1. make a cup of tea...
I know I've blogged about my love of tea before, but it's part of my daily 'self care' routine. Taking a few quiet moments to brew the tea can make all the difference to how I feel. It forces me to get away from the laptop and I find the scent of tea so relaxing and soothing.

Current favourites: this adorable dinosaur infuser and Harrods Raspberry & Vanilla black tea.

2. have a bath...
There's nothing more soothing than a warm bath, especially if it's scented with something lovely. I often take a book in with my (but not my Kindle, because I'm clumsy as anything and that sounds like a recipe for disaster).

Current favourites: Saje unwind bath salts which have orange, bergamot, lavender, geranium, and cinnamon essential oils.

3. go out for brunch...
Sometimes I need to be physically removed from my laptop in order to chill out. Yeah, I'm one of those people who feels guilty if I'm not working all the time! Weekend brunch is probably my favourite meal to go out for.

Current favourites: in Toronto it's Mildred's Temple Kitchen and back home I was always a fan of Auction Rooms in North Melbourne.

4. read a book...
Reading is definitely an essential activity for me and if I can combine that with a good coffee and a nice setting, even better. Otherwise, if I'm at home, I love to curl up on my bed with a good book.

Current favourites: I'm really loving May The Best Man Win by Mira Lyn Kelly. It's funny, modern and sexy - all the things I look for in a contemporary romance.

How do you like to relax?

13 comments:

  1. To relax: I read (sometimes in a frenzy) a lot, book after book until I get to a book from which I can devour the words. I like to go dancing, that was always very soothing (and sweaty). I loved to do some belly dancing (didn't require a partner), although I love ballroom dancing as well. For a quick fix of relaxation, walk to the store (walking has to be with a purpose imo) or if I can talk my husband into it: a walk in the woods nearby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all sound like wonderful things! i did a lot of dancing in my childhood, but never tried ballroom although I always wanted to. It looks like so much fun!

      Delete
    2. It is, although with ballroom dancing you have to have a partner who can lead. I once had a partner, who could lead a bit, but when we had to practice for a salsa I slipped with my shoe, he let me go, I slid a few meters on my hip, came to a halt and my then partner had to sit on a chair, laughing so hard. suffice to say, I had a big bruise on my hip and I didn't like him anumore

      Delete
  2. Reading, Epsom salt bath, both of them at once, playing competitive badminton, doing a jigsaw puzzle, having friends over, lunch out with a girlfriend, and ... um ... being with my husband (followed by reading in the bath, of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, love reading in the bath! Hanging out with friends or the hubs is always good too :D

      Delete
  3. Hi Stefanie!

    I know those days when you feel there are too many deadlines and they're too close. Sigh. Yes, definitely getting out. Like you I love a weekend brunch as I'm usually working on the weekend and it gives me a chance to lift my head up away from the computer. I just posted a photo on my FB author page that I took on a brunch outing on the weekend and had to conquer a feeling of guilt that I was out enjoying myself. But I refuse to give in to it. Time out is so important. I find walks help a lot and also coffee with friends. Baths too! Good luck with the deadlines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I try to force myself to have one day off on the weekend to at least spend time with my husband but he's as bad as I am for working on the weekend haha That's why brunch is so important! We shouldn't feel guilty :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Stefanie

    Lovely post relaxation for me is reading or a walk and these days while I walk I listen to audio books so reading is my big thing for relaxation :)

    Take it easy

    have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Amy Andrews said a while ago she was doing the same thing - walking and listening to audio books. Fun way to relax!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I know that feeling, Stef! I've been soaking in a lot of baths recently. Walking, though, is probably what helps de-stress me the most...and if it's by the beach all the better. Oh, and coffee dates with friends are a necessity -- they keep me sane. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, coffee dates with friends can cure so many things!

      Delete
  6. Aside from brunch, those are my relaxation activities.
    Also, depending on mood and energy levels, I like catching up with friends when I need to recharge.

    Thank you for the reminder... I don't seem to be making relaxation enough of a priority at present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's that time of year, Lyn! We get caught up in all that needs to be done. J and I call this the 'gerbil wheel' part of the year lol

      Delete