Jun 13, 2018

Near miss

 Clare’s post earlier in the month about rock stars and the best concert(s) we’d ever been to sent me on a funny trip down memory lane.

When I was nineteen(ish) my girlfriend called me one Saturday afternoon super-excited because Crowded House were playing in a little old club in Newcastle that night. Now, this was before Crowded House had become a name, but she’d been given the skinny on this band and knew they were going places.

“We have to go!” she told me. “This is a big deal, and it may never happen again.”
“I can’t,” I said glumly. “I promised my cousin that I’d go to the pictures with him.”
“Stand him up! Put him off! Go to the pictures next weekend. You can go to the pictures any time.”
My cousin was far from hip or cool, he’d never been groovy in his life, but he was a sweetheart. “I can’t. I’ve already cancelled on him twice, and I’m not going to do it a third time.”
She harangued and argued and cajoled. But I stood firm.


 
I tell myself that keeping my date with my cousin proves that I’m a good person. But every time I hear a Crowded House song, I shake my head and think You could’ve seen them live! And you know what the worse part is – I can’t even remember what movie it was that we went and saw!

Have you ever had a near miss like this? Tell me the truth, would you have gone to see the band or gone to the movies with Cousin Colin? ;-)

8 comments:

  1. Oh Michelle firstly I would have gone to see Crowded House I love bands and music in my teens and went to any concert I could, I have seen a lot of concerts over the years and love The Horden Pavilion here in Sydney for concerts standing close to those speakers amazing LOL. I have seen Joe Cocker, The Bee Gees, Sweet, Lobo, T-Rex and Rod Stewart just to name a few never miss out on a concert :)

    Have Fun

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the benefit of hindsight, Helen...

      Ooh, I loved the Horden pavilion! It had such a great atmosphere. I saw Depeche Mode there, and had the best time. :-) Love your concert list -- some great names there!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, hard one, Michelle. My girlfriend and I had a get out of jail free card so that if we got a better offer than mooching around with each other we could take it, but your situation in in reverse to that I guess. Why didn't you take your cousin with you? Or would that have been geeky?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I hadn't already cancelled on my poor cousin twice, I'd have rescheduled our trip to the pics. But to do it a third time just seemed too mean. Oh, and I'd have loved to have taken him along, only he'd have loathed it (actually, I suspect he'd have refused to go). Sigh. Still, thank heaven's for CDs and the radio, huh? ;-)

      P.S. Love you and your girlfriend's get out of jail free card!

      Delete
  3. This is where we depart ways, oh twinster. I've never been a fan of live music. I have been to live bands etc but prefer the perfection of a recording studio where no one is going to stand up in front of me so I can't see the stage! :-)
    So I'd probably have gone to the movies....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but there can be such a fun and funky vibe at a concert! Never mind -- we can't expect our twin powers to unite every single time. ;-)

      Delete
  4. I’ve never been into music or bands so I’m sure I would have picked the movie especially if it was with a cousin or sibling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that it's only in hindsight that I felt a pang, Veronica. And I do enjoy a trip to the movies. :-)

      Delete