Dec 11, 2017

The Christmas Carol Debate

So, where do you stand on the issue of the Christmas Carol?

In our house, there is a diverse range of opinions. My husband loves the traditional carol. He loves The Little Drummer Boy. My daughter likes a Michael Bublé carol. My son couldn’t care less and I worked in enough retail outlets when I was at school and uni during Christmas time to develop a mild loathing for the Christmas ditties.

But yesterday (after being encouraged by Clare’s post about getting ready for Christmas), we put up the Christmas tree (we didn’t even have one, I had to buy one!). So, as my daughter and I had the task, we play Michael’s carols.

I have to say, it was really lovely. My daughter loves to belt out a tune and hearing her enthusiastically singing along was really cute and heart warming.

So, I’ve come around a little to the Christmas carol. And it is starting to feel a bit like Christmas.


How about you? Carol lover or otherwise?

10 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer

    I love them all of them the traditional and the newer ones and if I could get my CD player to work properly they would be playing a lot. I have a lot of Christmas carol cds and when I am making ckes and puddings or writing Christmas cards I play them :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound lovely, Helen. Hope those Christmas cakes and puddings are going well. I bet you make fantastic ones!!

      Delete
  2. I'm with Helen. We tend the play carols (a mix of versions) when doing Christmassy things, like putting up the tree. I can't say I have a fave though some of the new ones and the Steeleye Span remakes of traditional songs are lots of fun . One that always stops me in my tracks though is this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWq5OWYaXDw 'Midnight Christians' or 'Holy Night'. I love a good carol, but not in the supermarket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Annie. I think you have nailed the problem. I would probably like them if I had control over which ones to listen to. Hearing the same CD played 20 times over in one day ended carol loving for me. But, having a few lovely ones...perfect. Oh, your choice of music sent tingles down my arms - so beautiful.

      Delete
  3. I almost laughed when I read your topic, Jen, as I just clicked on a Xmas songs album in Spotify to listen to this morning while I do my social media stuff :-)
    I love carols/songs. They're about the only thing that make going to the shops bearable this time of year. I have a Xmas songs CD I always put on when we put up the tree and play on Christmas morning.
    I do love the traditional carols the most but I'm not adverse to some Buble and White Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it is the season to be jolly!!! Suppose I should find a Xmas song CD that I like and reintroduce myself to this musical genre!

      Delete
  4. Well, if the truth be told, I'd rather listen to ABBA. But there's something goose-bumpy about hearing a traditional carol sung by a choir that can't be beat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ABBA, now you are talking. I knew there was a reason we are such good friends, Michelle.

      Delete
  5. I love Christmas carols and songs. The words deliver the Christmas message, wonderful inspiration, and I love discovering new music or new arrangements I haven’t heard before. I always play them in the car in December, love them in shopping centres and love singing them at Christmas services and carols events. Every year I buy one or two new Christmas CDs, which is rather fabulous. The whole shebang for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Christmas carols. My favorite is The Little Drummer Boy.

    ReplyDelete