Jun 3, 2016

Happy Birthday to Queen Elizabeth!

We don't get too many public holidays in New Zealand. Christmas, Easter, ANZAC day, Labour Day and Queen's Birthday are our only ones. The only one in our winter is Queen's Birthday which we're celebrating this weekend with our annual trip to Hanmer Springs.

I have to admit I'm not a big fan of the monarchy, but on this occasion I'd like to thank you very much your majesty for giving us a reason to pack up and travel to a beautiful alpine village for four nights. We've done this trip for the last five years with our very good friends and their three kids and it's absolute bliss. These are the things I'm looking forward to the most:

5. No Wifi!!!
The kids hate this bit for the first half day or so, but after that they're too busy in the great outdoors to even notice.
4. Mountain Biking in the alpine forest
No, not ME going out in the freezing cold getting all muddy and sore!! The hubby and the kids going out for hours on end and leaving me to....
3. READ in PEACE!!!! Enough said. And then to make sure I'm limber enough to start another book I'll go for a.....
2. Massage. One of the biggest treats in the world. Which only comes a close second to the thing I'll be doing next...
1. Soaking in the hot pools.
 Don't be too jealous, though. Before I get to do any of this I have to take the dog to kennels, pack enough food and clothes for everyone for four nights, navigate the mountain roads and endure a four hour road trip with four teenagers. What have you got planned for the weekend?



15 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara

    Sounds like a great weekend we have our Queen's Birthday weekend next weekend :)

    This weekend we do have our Romance Reader lunch which is always fun unfortunately they are predicting lots of heavy rain so we might get a bit wet. For the long weekend next week I am off to lunch on the Sunday but other than that a quiet weekendreading :)

    Enjoy your weekend

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Helen said, Barb, the weather this weekend is supposed to be kinda wet and wild so I'll be indoors tinkering around with business stuff but probably taking a book to bed at some stage too if the rain is really heavy because there's no better way to spend a rainy day than in bed with a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your weekend with rain and a book sounds perfect to me, Amy! I As it's brilliant sunshine here I have to think of a good excuse to stay inside and read all day but you can bet I'll find one!

      Delete
  3. Your weekend sounds divine, Barb. :-) Unfortunately, housework is on my agenda this weekend. Sigh. I've been neglecting *all* the chores for so long...that I can now no longer hide from them. I keep telling myself that it'll be lovely to have a clean house (if only it'd stay that way!). ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Michelle! If only they'd invent a book holder for the vacuum cleaner tube, or an automatic washing folder....Wishing you speedy chores!

      Delete
  4. Ahahaha! I was going to say exactly the same as Michelle! Your weekend DOES sound divine, Barb. Especially the reading and the massage and, I imagine, a little wine here and there? Enjoy your break away and the company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, Yvonne you know me so well with the wine!! I hope you're having a fabulous QB up north.

      Delete
  5. Have a blast, Barb. Hope you've packed your thermals. We're going to be quiet here, but quiet's good since there's a supply of books and wine ready and waiting.
    Looking forward to next weekend with you and the Blenheim girls, and Lovecat Louisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have got my thermals, Sue! Soooooo looking forward to next weekend as well. See you there!

      Delete
  6. We had a stop in Hanmer Springs on our last South Island holiday. Loved your point 1. to the max and, yes, I can say I am feeling a teensy bit jealous. We have a cold, wet weekend ahead and I'm looking forward to some quality time enjoying number 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bron, you'll know those beautiful hot pools, then, and the lovely views from everywhere. I hope you get some time to cuddle up with a book for your wet weekend.

      Delete
  7. Barb, that's sounds like bliss. I think I could take a leaf out of your book. My weekend will be cooking (dinner party and supplying a family member with some spares) and working on the book. My treat will be spending time with my son who's come over for the weekend and my dh who's just home from a big trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're going to have a very happy house full this weekend, Annie. Enjoy!

      Delete
  8. That sounds amazing, Barb. I love the idea of no wifi!

    We are currently experience gale force winds and driving rain and have been advised not the leave home. However, I am just going to pop down to the gym and being cooped up inside all weekend will send me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you're so good with the gym, Jenn! My workout will be wine wineglass hand moving up and down to my mouth :) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete