Jun 10, 2016

Bring on the Weekend

This coming weekend the Blenheim Romance Writers are having a retreat in a cottage amongst the grape vines. Amongst the group are Lovecats Louisa George (an honorary member because she likes us so much) and Barbara DeLeo. Though Barb might be a no show due to managing four teenagers and loads of other things while her husband is away. Here's hoping she makes it. It's never the same without her.
We do this cottage visit about three times a year and it is always fun and inspiring. Oh, and work does get done. Quite a lot actually. I enjoy the girl talk, the laughter, coffee, wine, food and the movies we watch at night. We brainstorm plots if we're stuck, discuss what's going on in the industry, and who's the latest success.

So I pack accordingly, and add my walking shoes because it's different territory to what I have at home and sometimes walking is my best thinking time when I'm stuck with my story.

So all set, just need to add some groceries and I'm off.











Except I hadn't factored in one thing - my wonderful man. A few days ago he sat me down with a glass of wine and said, 'We're going out to dinner for your birthday next week.' Great, I love dining out.
But he hadn't finished. 'We're going to Quay.' Again, great. Thinking where is Quay? Should I know? Worse, have we been there before? My mind isn't always as sharp as it could be.
'There's a difficulty,' my man continues. 'Quay is in Sydney.'
I'm not getting what the problem is. Sydney is one of my favourite cities and only three and half hours flying away. 'How is this a difficulty ?' I stammer around the excitement beginning to take over. Didn't see this coming.
'You'll have to miss most of the weekend with the girls because we're going for a week.'
Darn, but I do love this guy.
And sorry, girls, but you just couldn't compete.


So a repack is necessary. Change the walking shoes for boots, the wine for a passport (It's all right - they make plenty in Oz.), and the work notes for a great book to read. And take a bag big enough for some shopping because surely something a little swish is required to wear to Quay?

I am so excited, and I think it's because of the surprise element and that I haven't had months knowing about it. I could get used to surprises. What about you? Has someone ever done something special to surprise you?

13 comments:

  1. Aww that's so romantic, what a lovely gesture! Hope you have a fabulous time!

    My husband is fond of the occasional surprise grand gesture. In fact, on the night he proposed he'd also organised a surprise engagement party...so while I thought we were having a romantic dinner for two, my whole family and all our friends were actually joining us. It was a great night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that, Stefanie. What a way to start your life together.
      And yes, going to have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue

    What a wonderful surprise and I am sure you are going to have a wonderful time in my home town :) bring warm clothes because it has finally cooled down.

    Not many surprises in my life LOL although I did have a surpeise 21st birthday party given to me by the people I worked with many many years ago.

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that weather report, Helen. Our winter is so warm it's weird. 19 degs today which is crazy.
      Glad you got a surprise 21st, that would be special.

      Delete
    2. The days have been warm but the evenings have been really cool :)

      Have Fun
      Helen

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful, romantic surprise Sue! All the more fun because you haven't had to do any of the planning.
    My husband surprised me with a trip to Fiji for us and our daughter at a time when it was particularly stressful in my "day" job. I was so thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely more exciting because I knew nothing, and as you say, did nothing.
      That's so cool your husband did that for you. Really special.

      Delete
  4. Ooh, what fun, Sue! And how very clever of your man to surprise you like this. I hope you have a glorious week away. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm going to, Michelle. Bring it on, I say.

      Delete
  5. Sue, he is a keeper! Not only a surprise birthday treat, all organised by him, but a weeklong mega-treat!! Quay is on my wishlist -- I've never been but everything I hear is magnificent. You must have a snow-egg for dessert (if that's still on the menu; I saw it on TV; perhaps Masterchef as a challenge many many years ago and it's stuck with me!)

    We find mega-surprises a bit of a challenge, because so much planning has to go into 'child'care and animal care, but we do an occasional mini-surprise. One I remember as a standout: back when I worked away from home, I returned from a particularly trying day -- cold, wet, driving, difficult clients -- to find a bath had been run for me, complete with candles and atmosphere, and dinner was cooking.

    Doesn't happen often, which I guess makes it an even more wonderful surprise when it does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bronwyn, that egg is on the menu, and I'm ordering it. It was on Master Chef a while back. I m so excited about going to Quay. Will let you know all the details. :)
      Small surprises are just as wonderful, especially when they make you feel special which that bath and dinner must have done.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful, romantic surprise, Sue. If you had to miss a writing weekend (which I have to say sounds so lovely) this is worth it.

    I love surprises. The night before I left to live and study in the US for six month (many moons ago), my now husband proposed - that was a bit of a surprise!

    ReplyDelete