May 23, 2014

Louisa George's favorite things….

Hello!  It's my turn to talk about the things that make me smile…(obviously not including family and friends...)

My Nana's writing box. My lovely and slightly bonkers Nana lived with us until she died, when I was 17…this is the one thing of hers that I wanted when she was gone. She kept all her envelopes, pens, writing paper etc in here and it was a big event to watch her take it all out and write letters once a week. By the time it got to me it was very scratched and old, but my uncle polished it up and now it sits happily in my guest room.






COFFEE!!!  The first thing I reach for when I get up- I can't imagine a morning ritual without it. When we got the induction oven put in I wasn't sure I'd be able to find a stovetop pot that I could use- but I did and this little darling is used religiously every day infusing the house with its beautiful aroma.






Emma Hick Mott crockery. This was a wedding present from some friends. We don't use it often, so thankfully it has lasted over 20 years without a breakage! Emma Hick Mott used to have a studio in Portobello Market and I'm headed back that way in September, I think I'll look her up and see if she's still around, and has any more of this set left.



TRAVELLING.  Or just holidays! Luckily I married a similar minded man and we're always planning our next adventure. Obviously with finance, work and school commitments we can't go anywhere for long, but we do love to explore new places/cultures/cuisines. Next big adventure…New York and the US Eastern coast (2015, hopefully ;-) )


DANCING! Whether it's watching ballet, late night boogie-ing to Abba, or my thrice weekly zumba classes I absolutely love dancing. There is nothing that makes me feel better than turning the music up loud and shaking some moves! It brings an immediate smile to your face and it's good for you too!
My son has just joined his school Stage Challenge group and he seems to have got the dancing bug as much as I have (although I couldn't imagine him at the ballet somehow!)





GIRLFRIENDS. What would we do without them? They keep us sane, make us smile and take no crap! I've just returned from a weekend away in Queenstown with some great friends…we had a ball wine tasting, touring the amazing area and sampling some local fare. And we laughed and laughed and laughed.





So what are your favorite things to do or to look at or to use? Anyone else got the traveling bug? Anyone likely to join me on the dance floor?!?!?

9 comments:

  1. I just loved seeing all your lovely things, Louisa. Especially the writing box. What a beautiful link to your own writing. Loved the dancing outfit too!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb! I do love that box- it always makes me smile when I see it, thinking of a little old lady who had a wicked sense of humor and never went out without a hat.
      The dancing outfit is very fetching….er, not.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love your Nana's writing box, Louisa -- such a treasure. :-)

    And, yes, definitely have the travel bug (though no plans for the immediate future, though I'm thinking a European cruise down the Rhine might be an awfully nice carrot for finishing my PhD). And if we can dance to ABBA then I'll definitely join you on the dance floor. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love Abba, Michelle! A cruise down the Rhine sounds magical- what a lovely reward and definitely a great way to make you work extra hard on your PhD! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your writing box too, Louisa, and it's clear that it's very special to you.

    I'll be catching up with girlfriends next weekend and there will be much laughter. Much, much laughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire- that sounds like a fun weekend you have planned! Enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Louisa

    What lovely thigs to enjoy I would love to travel but I can't see that happeneing a lot although we are going on a cruise to New Zealand in November and looking forward to that and although I love dancing my ankles don't let me do this these days

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you're coming this side of the ditch? I'll make sure I order sunshine for you! Which ports are you visiting?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Louisa, I loved seeing all your favourite things! I especially like your Nana's writing box - so special!

    ReplyDelete