May 26, 2014

2004 - The Year That Was by Amy Andrews



I’m looking back ten years ago today to 2004 and I hope you’ll indulge me while I do – trust me, there is a purpose :-)

When I was researching some of the events of the last decade I couldn’t believe some of them had been that long ago - some seemed like they'd happened only yesterday. But anyways…. Here are some of the highlights (and lowlights) of 2004.

2004 was a leap year. It was the international year of rice and the Olympics were in Athens. John Howard was the Prime Minister of Australia and George Bush was returned for his second term as President of the United States.

FB launched  - seems like its been around forever!



 

 The Mars rover, Opportunity, landed (on Mars, thankfully!)






The transit of Venus occurred. The first since 1882 (there was another in 2012)

The Beslan school hostage crisis ended after three days resulting in the deaths of 334,mainly children

Jetstar launched

Aussie girl, Mary Donaldson, married Crown Prince Fredrick of Denmark

Aussie girl, Jen Hawkins, won Miss Universe

Harvey Krumpet won an academy award

Casey Donovan won Australian Idol



Burke's Backyard aired for last time

Makybe Diva won Melburne Cup.


 

The Notebook hit the cinemas – yes, it’s been 10 years!!








A raft of famous people died – Sir Peter Ustinov,  Ronald Regan, Marlon Brando, Julia Childs, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross (famous for identifying the five stages of grieving), Christopher Reeve, Yasser Arafat.

 One of my favourite songs came out that year, reminding us all that life is short and to live it. 



And last but not least, New South Wales won the State Of Origin. Which won’t mean much to people outside Australia but suffice to say it’s a huge state-against-state footy comp. It may be pertinent at this point to ask, why the hell I would even mention that given my fairly well documented dislike of all things sporty but football in particular.

Because it’s also the night I received *the call* from Emily Woodfield at Harlequin Mills and Boon telling me they were buying my book.  Twelve long years of submitting and being rejected and finally the news I’d be hoping for! 
 
I freaking loved football that night!

So yes, it’s my 10th anniversary of being a published author this year. In ten years I’ve written 30 medical romances (am just about to hit send on my 31st!) and 6 for the, now sadly defunct, KISS line. I’ve penned 2 single titles plus another that I co-wrote with my sister. I’ve written two books plus a novella for Entangled Publishing and have just finished my second The Bold And The Beautiful book (still can’t believe that!)  for Momentum publishing.

I’ve written many millions of words, sold almost two millions books and been translated into over a dozen languages. I’ve been honoured to have received some fabulous awards and been the recipient of some truly lovely fan mail. I’ve had some great reviews and I’m even rather fond now of the not-so-great one with the vomiting gif.

In short, the last ten years has been a freaking trip! I’ve made some amazing friends and met some amazing people. I’ve been crazy busy and I honestly felt like I didn’t know what the hell I was doing most of the time but I wouldn’t give it up for quids.

And I’d like to thank each and every one of you who made it possible! Anyone who’s ever bought one of my books, or written to me or penned a review or tweeted/FB’ed/blogged about my books. It’s been a helluva ride and having you all along for it has made it even more amazing!

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

But anyway….enough about me…. Tell me where you were ten years ago and your high points from the last decade.


14 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, Amy. In 2004- I turned 40. - Married for 10 years. At my job for 10 years. Daughter turned 6. 2014 brings even bigger milestones for us adding 10 years.

    In the US - other than events you mentioned. Last episode of the Friends TV series and President Ronald Reagan died. The US American Idol winner was Fantasia Farrino from North Carolina where I live now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tammy! - looks like 2004 was a milestone year for you too!
    Thanks for that list. I didn't realise about Friends - I loved that show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Happy Anniversary Amy- you've had a pretty packed decade!! And I'm hugely glad you got that call and for all those amazing books you've written that have been so entertaining and inspiring. I hope the next ten years are equally, and even more, successful for you.

    Trying to think what I did in 2004 that was of any significance, but I can't think of anything…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy

    Woohoo huge congrats to you I have loved your stories for many years and am always looking forward to more of them :)

    2004 was too long a go for me to remember what was happening LOL I don't think that anything major happened although I must say I am glad that NSW won the State of Origin maybe we can win this year LOL

    Huge congrats Amy

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Helen! Your support over the years has been amazing - thank you so much!

    I know this is very un-Queenslander of me, Helen but I really couldn't give a fig who wins. I just cant wait for to be over - so sick of hearing about it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Amy, it's hard to believe it's been ten years already since some of those events! Wasn't the wedding of Frederick and Mary just so sigh-worthy?

    Congratulations on ten years! All those lovely books you've written for us to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Amy, congratulations on your 10 years of wonderful books and thank you for that great walk down memory lane! Sighing with Rachel over Frederick and Mary's wedding - it was gorgeous.

    Gosh, 2004... creaking back the memory banks here... I got my motorcycle "L plates and then full motorcycle licence that year! Felt pretty good about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ten years solo on your bike, Sharon! You've covered some miles since then too, haven't you!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your 10th anniversary! And congratulations on so many amazing accomplishments in that time.

    This was a great post, and I said "Really?" several times. I would have guessed a couple of years ago for many of those events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was really surprised too, Claire! Time flies!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your 10th anniversary, Amy! I hope you popped some bubbles. :-)

    Isn't memory an odd thing? As I was reading through your list I thought: Was it really only 10 years ago that Jen Hawkins was crowned Miss Universe? And surely Jetstar have been around longer than 10 years? ;-) My big memory of 2004 was going to Europe and being snowed on in Berlin -- as a fellow Aussie you'll know how novel that is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, Michelle - I never forget *any* of the places I've been snowed on so I totally get that. It's such a novelty for we Aussie's :-)

      Delete