May 12, 2014

An Elopement to the City of Love

posted by Jennifer St George



As I mentioned in my last post, I was lucky enough to organise a very impromptu trip to France and the UK recently.  What I didn’t divulge, is that some stowaways joined us on our travels.

Daniel and Isabel eloped in my daughter's luggage intent on marrying in Paris. We discovered them on our first morning and they insisted on being taken straight to Notre Dame. We were thrilled to be witnesses to their nuptials.


As their little legs didn’t get them very far (you can see them here resting looking at the Seine), we ended up being their tour guides.  

They wanted to seal their love forever (as if being married in Notre Dame was not enough) by locking their love on The Pont des Arts. I had to write their names and my daughter selected the spot. Their love is now forever tightly locked.
As part of their honeymoon, Daniel and Isabel wanted to visit the Louvre. They enjoy Venus de Milo, The Napoleon III Apartments and lots more. They were knocked over in the crush at The Mona Lisa and ended up being overwhelmed by the over 600,000 square feet of exhibition space and we had to retire for un café et un croissant.
After a quick trip to the Pompidou, Daniel and Isabel gave us the slip and disappeared into the city of love to begin their lives together.
Have you ever had fun (or not?!?) helping someone with their wedding?



16 comments:

  1. Timely blog Jen as I've just (last weekend) hosted an entire bridal party at my house. Hair and make-up started at 6 am and when there are 8 bridesmaids + 2 flower girls+ the bride and the bride's mum and the grooms mum and assorted other people I had staying at my house there's a lot of bodies :-)
    But it was super fun. Cant wait to see the official pics taken around our property!

    So thrilled for Daniel and Isabel too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that sounds amazing and busy, Amy. The pictures will be fabulous!

      Delete
  2. Many congratulations to Daniel and Isabel -- they're bringing many very happy memories back for me as I also eloped (to England), and then honeymooned in Paris. Oh, happy sighs.

    Sounds as if you all had a wonderful time, Jen! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a ball, Michelle.

      Wow how romantic that you eloped to England. And a honeymoon in Paris, is there anything more fabulous?

      Delete
  3. Oh, that's so cute! Loved it, Jen!

    I am currently helping to arrange my son's wedding to his gorgeous fiancée. I am amazed at how much work is involved. I had no idea. Still lots to do, but yes, I am having a tremendous amount of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, how sweet. I loved the photos. It looks like you had a marvellous time in Paris. What a brilliant, romantic city.

    Amy, hosting an entire bridal party - wow! That must have taken stamina.

    One of the most romantic weddings I attended was held in my parents' large garden with the reception in the house. Lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a garden wedding, Annie.

      We did have a lovely time in Paris. The weather was fine, the French were French and the food was fabulous.

      Delete
  5. Jennifer

    What a fun time :)

    My Son got married last September and one of my daughters got married this March and I have another daughter getting married next April so I have had a lot of fun already and there is still more to come thank heavens none of them turned out to be bride godzilla's all went well :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Helen, that is a lot of wedding fun. Must be such an exciting time!

      Delete
  6. Jen, what a fun post! The happy couple look perfect - and easy to work with! No bridezilla? No stag party with a green-faced groom on the day! Your daughter was obviously their wedding planner and what a resourceful and romantic one she turned out to be! Could there be a big future for her in the trade?!

    As an elopee I don't have any wedding planning stories - ours was very very low key!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so easy to work with, Sharon. Certainly easy to transport.

      Low key and lovely I'm sure!!!

      Delete
  7. Jen what a super fun post! I absolutely adore Paris so I'm very envious of you and your little wedding planner and the lucky couple! Can't think of any particular wedding stories where I've been involved as helper…but I did have a ball one January a long time ago traveling to Goa, India with 40 other UK/Irish guests to go to a wedding there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound fun, Louisa. I've never been to India but Indian weddings do look fun, colourful and exotic in the movies.

      Delete
  8. Jen, your daughter must have had a fabulous time taking her little friends around Paris! I bet she remembers that for the rest of her life.

    Congratulations to Daniel and Isabel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. She loved every minute of it, Rachel. Her Barbies are always having a lovely time here at pool parties, balls and picnics by the pool, but I think the wedding in Paris was the event that topped them all.

    ReplyDelete