Apr 11, 2016

New York to Tasmania

I’m very excited!  My new book – Wild For You – is now up for pre-order. The cover really captures the essence of my hero, Daniel.

Wild For You brings together Daniel, the owner of a Tasmanian wilderness walking company and Madison, a New York fashion designer. Madison has left behind her glamourous life for one week to rediscover her mojo. Little does she know that she’ll end up walking the stunning Cradle Mountain trail alone with hot hiking guide, Daniel. But what could possibly happen in those cute log cabins in the woods?

I walked the Cradle Mountain Lake St Claire wilderness trail a few years ago and it is the inspiration for this story. I walked with Cradle Mountain Huts Walks. The company has been running guided walks for over twenty-years and of course, they have huts.  Huts mean hot meals, hot showers, warm cabins and chilled wine. All this delivered by young, fit guides who take care of everything. Food tastes oh, so much better when you’ve trekked at least twelve kilometers and someone else has cooked.

Madison had to do all the things I had to including carrying her own pack. If she wanted clean clothes she had to wash them in the shower each night for which you pumped your own water.

There were so many highlights on the walk, but for me the greatest experience was climbing Tasmania’s highest peek, Mt Ossa. It stands at 1,617 metres in the middle of the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park. Making it to the top does involve a lot of scrambling over huge boulders. The view is worth it even if you are a little intimidated by the climb (will all those boulders slide further down the mountain as I climb up?!?). From the top, a quarter of Tasmania is visible and not one man-made thing (well there’s an old disused mining road to the east, but we ignored that). When Daniel and Madison climb the mountain, they are in for the unexpected.

The guides on our walk were lovely, knowledgeable and fit.  They were passionate about conservation and taught us lots of interesting ecological facts. We visited a myriad of beautiful waterfalls; explored a disused mine shaft featuring one lonely spider and lots of cave crickets (ugly little critters); held Fairy’s Aprons, sweet little purple flowers; splashed in freezing rivers and lakes; ambled through ancient rainforests and learned about the wonderful array of native fauna and flora. A number of these sites feature in the book.

Pre-order Wild for You now at Amazon, iTunes, Kobo and other e-tailers. I hope you enjoy it as I loved writing this story.

If you wanted to recharge your mojo, where would you go?



18 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer

    Woohoo just pre-ordered love the cover and looking forward to this one.

    The hike sounds wonderful and if I was fitter it would be something that I would love to do :) but for me at the moment I would love another cruise I could walk around the ship on the top deck and look out at the sea and when in port discover new places :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for pre-ordering!! Helen, your support means so much to me.

      Another cruise sounds lovely. Always so much fun to discover new places.

      Delete
  2. love the review will be pre-ordering it today --I would go to Darwin to recharge my mojo as there is still places I haven't been to up there----LynW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lyn!!!!! I so hope you enjoy it.

      Darwin would be amazing. I haven't been to Darwin but would love to go. Actually, it is the only capital city I haven't been to. I must rectify that some day.

      Delete
  3. lol Jennifer - you and I have very different ways to recharge mojo :-)
    Am off on a Mediterranean cruise in a couple of weeks. I think that'll work, dont you? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Amy. A Mediterranean cruise does sound rather perfect for a mojo recharge!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen - looking forward to reading your latest :) sounds great :)

    I love how your travels have inspired your books!

    If I could drop everything, I'd go to Tzfat (in Israel) for a couple of weeks. It's so beautiful and full of mysticism, as well as artists' colonies. A perfect place to recharge and get your mojo back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tzfat sounds fascinating, Joanne. You have to love a region that attracts lots of artists. Seems to make a place more interesting!

      Delete
  6. Waves from Tasmania ;) I go to the RWAus for that. Exhausting but so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Waving back from Byron. I so love Tasmania, Jan.

    Yes, RWAus is good for that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fantastic book, Jen! Congratulations on your new release :)

    If I wanted to recharge, I'd probably go to a resort. Cocktails, tons of reading time, a swim in the pool...that sounds like R&R to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Stefanie.

    That sounds like some good R&R!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm like you, Jennifer, I'd head for the hills. Though a trip to Europe would do it too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the premise of Wild For You, Jen...and I really love the cover--it's so pretty. :-) However, your mojo sounds far more energetic than mine. Mine would prefer to lounge on a beach somewhere, listening to the sounds of the ocean while eating pizza and donuts and sipping champagne. Sounds like the perfect way to recharge to me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Michelle.

    I love the way people like such different things. Beach sounds so lovely, especially with champagne, but I can only lounge for a short time, then I go...crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jen, I'm a BIG fan of that cover and the story sounds fab as well. I love that you've done the hard yards (or miles!) in the name of research.

    I would also head to the hills to recharge, but on horseback rather than my own feet. Love the restorative power of mountain air and think it'd be fabulous to draw it in while sauntering along a mountain trail. Yeehaw!

    ReplyDelete