Apr 15, 2016

Hello Wally!

This week we added another member to our family.....say hello to Wally!


 
Wally is a short billed Corella and he's five months old. Hand raised and is already talking....well, he says "hello" so far, but we think he'll pick up more words soon. Although my hubby has had parrots before, other than a neurotic cockatiel I had when I was young, this is my first real foray in having a bird as an indoor, interactive pet. I've always been more the horse, dog, cat kind of pet owner.
 
But he's adorable. And so friendly. I'm amazed at how affectionate he is and how much time he likes spending on hubby's shoulder. He loves cuddles and makes kissing sounds. In hindsight we probably should have named him Sire Squawksalot...because he does make his fair share of noise, particularly in the mornings. But we have very understanding neighbors and no one seems to mind. The two cats aren't all that fazed, in fact they seem more scared of him than he is of them.  
 
 
There is a potty mouthed Corella on Youtube called Eric who seems to have something of a following. I plan on doing a few video's of Wally's antics, so I'll make sure I post them here. And if anyone has any bird advice, please share!
 
 


9 comments:

  1. Hello, Wally. Well hello, Wally. I feel a song coming on! :-)
    He's gorgeous, Helen. I have put potty mouthed birds into books before - they are such fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AA - hah, a potty mouth bird does sound like a great foil for an uptight hero :)

      Delete
  2. What a handsome fellow he is, Helen.

    I don't have any knowledge/experience on birds as pets. Except to point out that he has good birdy instincts to avoid cats...although not LoveCats of course. Those he would, naturally, love. :-)

    (Oh, and thanks AA for planting that earworm as I head back to work!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bronwyn - (yes, thanks AA, I've been humming hello Dolly for the past two hours)He is indeed handsome, and very affectionate :)

      Delete
  3. Oh Helen he is lovely I had a Galah when I was young and he talked and talked LOL and if a female ever bent over he would wolf whistle only for females he had been in the family for years and had stayed with my Mum and as a young girl my Mum was always getting into trouble and my Nan would call her and yes Cocky (that was his name) copied it and he would be in the yard and calling my Mum for hours sometimes Betty Betty Betty my grandfather had terrible smokers cough and Cocky mimicked it perfectly and he meowed like a cat, he could be naughty as well if planting seeds he would walk behind you and take them out of the ground and my uncle had a fancy pair of leather shoes with fancy bits on them on them and he chewed them all of LOL. I am sure you are going to have lots of fun with Wally :)

    have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww he's beautiful! We've never had any big birds like that before. My grandmother had budgies over the years, including one crazy little guy called Sparky who used to mimic the sound of the dog barking.

    Very unnerving to hear a big 'woof' sound coming from a little bird cage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one fine looking bird, Helen. You'll have such fun teaching him a few words.

    We had a quail once she had a lovely life until a carpet snake came to visit. I cried for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Helen he is adorable! We had a tame sulphur crested cockatoo when I was a kid. He just flew into the garden one day and said (literally) "hello". He wasn't in a cage, he slept in the laundry at night. My mother wasn't pleased when he chewed through the electric cord to the washing machine--which thankfully wasn't switched on. He was part of the family and we were devastated when he just flew off again one day without so much as a "goodbye". I have had a great fondness for cockatoos ever since and we have lots flying wild around our little farm. I even forgive them when they strip my fruit trees...

    ReplyDelete