Apr 13, 2016

In praise of books...


Easter, my friends, didn’t go according to plan. Mr Douglas had an unexpected stay in hospital. He’s fine and on the mend again now (and, truly, I love our public healthcare system), but I discovered that hanging out at a hospital for five days with not a whole lot to do can be rather taxing. So, what’s a girl to do?

What she does is opens her iPad mini, goes to her Kindle app and browses among the many books she’s downloaded in the last two years and settles down to read something undemanding that will whisk her away from the smell of antiseptic for a while. The book I opened was THE HANOVER SQUARE AFFAIR—the first book in Ashley Gardner’s Captain Lacey regency mystery series. I can’t even tell you why I chose that particular book, but by the time I was halfway through it, I started to feel rejuvenated. [And, um…I’m now up to Book 9 in the series.]



It started me thinking what a godsend books can be.

About six years ago, one side of my family was going through a bit of a rough time. I forced Mary Janice Davidson’s UNDEAD AND UNWED on three of the women. It didn’t change the situation we were dealing with, but it provided us all with a good laugh and gave us something fun and a bit silly to chat about. It provided a bit of breathing space.



One of the first reader letters I ever received was from a woman who was in hospital for the eleventh (!!!) time for the same thing. She thanked me for writing a book that took her away from reality for a couple of hours and gave her a bit of respite.

Books can be many things. They can shine a new light on an old problem, posit answers to the meaning of life, be considered art, be considered trash, be entertaining, touching, funny and sad. But they can also be a source of comfort and provide us with a momentary escape for an hour here and there.

I give thanks for books everyday. The two I’ve mentioned above won’t ever make it onto my all-time favourite books list, but that doesn’t stop me from holding them in a great deal of affection. Is there a particular book that holds good memories for you because helped get you through a difficult time?


Note added for all who are interested: Book 1 in Ashley Gardner's Captain Lacey Regency mystery series is currently free at Amazon.

17 comments:

  1. Oh Michelle I am sorry Mr Douglas was ill but glad that he is on the mend now hugs to you both, and I agree books stories that take you away make you smile and laugh but more importantly take your mind off what is happening are the best. Over the last 20 years or so I have had Hubby in and out of hospital for surgery and yes I have always turned to books they helped me so much but I am not sure if there has been a favourite amongst them there have probably been too many to remember LOL

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder where we'd be without books, Helen! Thanks for your good wishes, and I'm sending hugs on the number of times you've had your DH in and out of hospital. Not only can it be worrying, but it's wearing -- a good book is definitely a lifesaver. :-)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read to relax, so it becomes a no brainer I need books at stressful times! Sorry DH was unwell, hope it's sorted, but reading can transport you so beautifully. I love the HEA ending with romance, sometimes you just need that lovely optimism and feel good strokes. Makes life far more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Malvina, yes! It's funny, but in stressful times books become all the more dear to me. :-) Therapy through reading sounds healthier than seeking it in other places. And, you're right -- those HEA give one such a boost and make the world a much nicer place. :-)

      Delete
  4. Glad that Mr Douglas is recovering and that you had books to keep you company. Hugs.

    I haven't seen that Ashley Gardner and I was tempted, until you mentioned Book 9. Addictive books never do well with me as I forget the world and just read. So I'll keep that for one day when the world can be forgotten :)

    Thanks,
    Cath xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine. :-)

      As for addictive books, the last time I did this kind of glom was for the Sookie Stackhouse series. But check the link I added in the post above. Book 1 in the Captain Lacey is free on Kindle at the moment. You could go and grab it and keep it for a rainy day. Just sayin'. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Firstly, so sorry to hear about the unplanned Easter arrangements but good news that Mr D is recuperating nicely.

    The "now up to book 9" is a rousing recommendation for the Ashley Gardner series. I must check that out -- regency mystery does sound like something I would like.

    Funnily enough, I'm not a reader in truly stressful times. I find I can't concentrate on the story and so to escape I tend to watch (TV) rather than read. Or if I do try to read, I don't enjoy the story and that seems such a waste and unfair on the book/author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bron. :-)

      Ah, as for Captain Lacey...I've added the link to the bottom of the post as Book 1 in the series is currently free on Kindle. An offer too good to pass up, I think. One of the things I most love about the series is the community that's created -- such a flawed community too, but I can't help and love them (even when I want to shake them).

      Oh, and, yes! TV can be a godsend in times of stress too. Another welcome escape. :-)

      Delete
    2. Aaaaannnnndddddd....

      CLICK!

      Thanks, Michelle. (I think.)

      Delete
    3. LOL. I love that one-click. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  6. So glad to hear Mr Douglas is on the mend. That sounds like a very stressful Easter, Michelle! Hope everything is back to normal now!!

    Books are so fantastic for taking you away from the everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! There wasn't much chocolate gobbled up over Easter for us -- for which our waistlines have no doubt thanked us. ;-)

      Oh, and, YES! Books are the best. :-)

      Delete
  7. Good to know your husband recovered. I love that you can make collections of ebooks on ebook readers. I have a collection of favourites I like to reread in testing times. Many of them have lots of angst. Maybe the overcoming of difficulties in the book is reassuring when facing my own difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Elaine, I really need to look into making some collections on my ereaders. They sound like a great organisational tool...and must make it so much easier for finding what you want when you want it. Thanks for the tip! Like you I might make a list of favourite books to reread in tough times--those books can be such a comfort. In fact "Comfort Reads" sounds like the perfect title for a collection. :-)

      Delete
  8. Glad to know your husband is okay again, Michelle.
    As for go to books, I don't really have any, but when in your predicament I aim for light and entertaining as the mind isn't always concentrating at those times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. :-)

      Yes, I think you're right -- light and entertaining works a treat when you're tired, distracted, and likely to be interrupted. And it can be weirdly soothing too. :-)

      Delete