Jul 16, 2014

Yvonne Lindsay's Lists of Lists!

I'm getting ready to travel back up the US for the Romance Writers of America conference. It's an exciting time but oh, the lists...and the lists of lists of things to do before I go.

Yesterday, I crossed off the two biggies--see my accountant to sign off on tax returns and annual accounts and FINISH THE DARN BOOK! Oh, the relief. I never realise how much tension I carry in my shoulders while I'm working until I actually stop.

But I can't afford to stop. I still have those lists of lists to attend to. Little things for the most part, but vital to my peace of mind so when I leave my family I can jet away with a clear conscience.

I discovered yesterday, on thinking about all of this, that I never really allow myself time to anticipate a trip like this one which, while work related, is the fun side of my work. It's the face to face meetings with editors, meeting readers at signings, mixing with fellow authors who I normally only get to interact with online through email and Facebook and meeting my writing idols. Usually, I arrive at these things still flustered from ticking off all the bullet points on my lists of lists and finishing a book and it takes me a good couple of days to wind down so I can appreciate it all.

I have lists of things to do while I'm in the States, including getting a SIM card for my phone with data so I can celebrate my next release (on 25 July, just in case you're wondering) of FOR LOVE OF A COWBOY. It's my first novella with Tule Publishing's Montana Born Books series and I am so excited to see how it fares with readers. I absolutely loved writing this story. I may even have to add having a glass of champagne to celebrate its release to one of my lists!

Tell me, are you a just-in-time-and-arrive-exhausted person like me, or are you more measured in your planning? If you're the latter, I'd love to know how you do it!




16 comments:

  1. Yvonne! Well done on your tax return and FINISHING THE BOOK! They are marvellous biggies to be able to cross off your list! And congratulations on the imminent release of To Love A Cowboy! How exciting!

    I'm a list person too and you'd think it would help us be more measured and organised and "ready without fuss", wouldn't you! I find that things seem to go along quite nicely and then, just when I get to the pointy end, it goes a bit pear-shaped, hence the "arrive exhausted" thing. Mmmm, I hate to think how things would go if I didn't make lists at all! (shudder, nope totally not thinking about that!)

    Safe travels and have a fab time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I thought I'd answered this, but obviously not. There was one thing I didnt cross off my list, Sharon, the first thing I wrote down, which was ironing but, since it wasn't my ironing I guess I can get away with that ;-)

      Delete
  2. OMG, you've done your tax return already!!! I'm so impressed. And finished the book. You're super woman.

    I love lists. My current 'to do' list is a full 4A page long (sigh) and that's without a book on it at the moment (just submitted and am waiting for edits).

    So, I usually am working and organising right up to the last minute before I board that plane, but then I get a glass of wine in my hand and select my favourite movie and I'm a happy girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, technicalky my accountant, or his minions, filed the return but I did get the reports and data to him, LOL! And yes, working and organising to the last minute, that was me too.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, Yvonne, overseas trips--regardless of the reason--are far too exciting not to anticipate. So, yes, I use lists…and I try to pace myself…and I might be racing up until the time I arrive at the airport…but I never forget to relish the excitement. :-)

    Congrats on getting both your tax and THE DAMN BOOK finished in time. Hope you have a fabulous time away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to take a leaf out of your book, Michelle. I got on that plane last night and barely knew what I was doing there, LOL!

      Delete
  4. Hi Yvonne

    Sounds like it is going to be a wonderful trip I am not very good with lists but I try to arrive at places rested I also try to give myself enough time to make sure the things that need to be done are done and have the attitude if I have forgotten something then it will wait LOL

    The new books sounds really good congrats

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, usually I manage to sleep on the plane but last night my mind was still racing and I really struggled.

      Delete
  5. Good to hear that your accountant wants to see you to sign off the tax return now rather than leaving you chasing them up to send it in to IRD after the end of March next year :) Now that I'm working that department's contact centre I'm still surprised by how frequently I have to point out to people that returns are overdue.

    That aside, I try to be a person who engages in measured planning, but the reality is that I usually end up with a combination of planning and arriving exhausted, just in time.

    I'll also add an item to your list although it might already be on there. I saw Nalini Singh post the other day saying that readers won't be able to bring books from home into the book signing at RWA, so if you are going to be attending the signing as an author you might want to sort out some kind of generic bookplate that you can give readers for existing books if they want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, I'm usually the one chasing my accountant to complete things, LOL! Good idea about the bookplates. I'll see what I can find now I'm here in the US.

      Delete
  6. Yvonne, I'm a list of lists kind of girl. I always manage to put things off the to last minute and wonder why I'm so flustered. If I didn't have deadlines for books I'd probably never finish one.
    Have a blast in San Antonio and look forward to hearing all about it in Auckland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! I hear you on the flustered things. That is so me, LOL!

      Delete
  7. I try to make lists, but I lose them, or forget to look at them, or I make several in different places on the same topic. I'm not a very good list-maker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to plan ahead with lists!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Claire, you have to do what works for you. Everytime I see you, you look calm and elegant so I'm sure that whatever you're doing, it's definitely working!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yvonne, hope you have a ball in the US. I'm a list person too and am very impressed with you finishing your tax and book at the same time. What a stretch that must have been! Like Jennifer, my list is long but I love crossing things off it. So very satisfying. That reminds me - it needs updating - I don't know how but extra things have crept in that need inclusion.

    As for trips, I used to be one to anticipate in great detail but this year I've found myself arriving breathless, just in time, and catching up as I go. I was reading my guidebook to Prague in the couple of days before we got there (well, the day before) while in Austria. Next trip I'm determined to find time to relax and enjoy it more. I'll just have to convince my family not to do 'interesting' things that keep me distracted.

    I bet your novella is a huge hit with readers. I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete