Jul 25, 2014

Random thoughts with Louisa George

Thoughts of a slightly jet-lagged brain…I've just returned from 9 days' child-free holiday in Hawaii and it was total bliss. But now my inbox is overflowing, my book deadline approaches and my brain is still hankering to be by the beach and not in front of a computer screen in freezing temperatures. So, as my head is flitting from one random thought to another I'd thought I'd share…

1. I'd never really been in to cocktails until two years ago when I went to RWA in Anaheim and had my first mojito. Now, you could probably say that Mojitos are my catnip. Here's one from Hawaii. YUMMY. There were so many to choose from, and all so pretty. It would have been rude not to sample these wares, surely?

2. Sometimes watching a movie you don't think you're going to enjoy can be surprising. I recently watched DIVERGENT and it was pretty cool. A lot like The Hunger Games in many ways (dystopian future, people living in groups according to their skills etc). It turned out to be the perfect attention-holding plane movie. Conversely, sometimes, much hyped movies are a total let-down, yes? Noah anyone?

3. The difference in the price of books depending on where you live is astonishing. We visited Barnes and Noble in Maui and spent-up large- limited, sadly, by our baggage allowance. In NZ newly released books are usually around $36.00 each, in USA they were $15. But oh, the joy, of being able to pick up the ones we wanted without worrying excessively about the cost!


4. My son just went to his first school ball. My, how those 16 years have flown by. Here he is in all his finest. Such a proud mum!


5. Finally, I have a new release out this month. You all probably know that my first romance read was by Amy Andrews and it was her book that inspired me to start writing medical romance. Huge fan-girl thrill, then to see my book and hers on the shelves together! It's amazing what you can achieve through blood, sweat and tears! Thanks for the inspiration Amy!


So, any random thoughts flitting through your brain?  Are you a cocktails person or do you prefer wine/beer? Any recent proud moments? Any disappointing movies or surprisingly good ones? Care to share?

19 comments:

  1. Awww Louisa - that's so damn sweet, thank you :-)
    I hand sold the last copy on shelf of our duo in the UK a couple of weeks ago to a dear sweet little old lady and even signed it :-)

    I love cocktails although Mojito not my fav cos of the mint.
    Saw quite a few movies on my recent plane trips too. Dallas Buyers Club blew me away - I'd missed it at the movies. Can totally see why Matthew McConaghy won an Oscar. Another good one was Parkland which looks at the JFK assassination from the viewpoint of the everyday people who were affected that day - the staff at the hospital, the guy who took that iconic footage, Lee Harvey Oswald's mother and brother. Really interesting. Also watched the Grand Budapest Hotel but couldn't finish it - don't know if it was because I was tired but it just didn't hold my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, AA, how cool you could hand over the book to the customer!

      I'd love to see Dallas Buyers Club, it's had a lot of good reviews. Parkland sounds interesting too- I find it really hard to find films that grip me when I'm flying- so I imagine something like Grand Budapest Hotel might have been a bit slow.

      Delete
  2. Random thoughts make so much sense to me, Louisa! I think it must be how my brain works…so am loving your random thoughts too. :-)

    I discovered Mojitos when I went out for lunch with my editor last year. DIVINE! I might have to find one at the RWAust conference, what do you think?

    I recently watched Errol Flynn's Robin Hood and it was so much good old-fashioned rollicking fun. I'm dreadfully behind the times -- I don't think I've even heard of the movies you and Amy mentioned.

    P.S. Your son looks so handsome! You deserve your proud mama moment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Michelle- perhaps we could have a mojito together at RWAus! Not long now!

    I think I remember Errol Flynn's Robin Hood from years ago- you've certainly nailed it with your description of rollicking fun. I must go have a look at some of those old black and white movies again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lousia

    The holiday sounds wonderful

    I love cocktails and when I am cruising I try at least one a day :) and seeing as I am cruising to New Zealand in November I am looking forward to them
    Proud moments I becam a grandmother again for the 7th time a couple of weeks ago and little Cooper is so cute :)
    I am not a big movie watcher I have way too many books to read and I am looking forward to your new one :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh helen, what fun- one cocktail a day! I love the sound of that! HUGE congratulations on little Cooper's safe arrival…gosh, they are so precious. Will we be seeing you at the ARRA event at RWAustralia? (Not sure where you're based…)

      Delete
  5. Hi Louisa

    Oh yes I will be there and so looking forward to meeting you and catching up with everyone party time :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah!!! So looking forward to meeting you, too!

      Delete
  6. I can't imagine the joy of seeing your name on the same cover as the person who inspired you to start writing.
    I'm surprised you didn't plan your trip to have a detour to the RWA conference on the way home. However despite how cold it currently is in NZ, I'm sure you are happy to home.
    I'm definitely a cocktail girl to this day. Love mojitos, although it's a miracle that my first mojito wasn't too strong since the bartender thought he was making it for my aunt - he always made hers really really strong. Having said that, I do like the pinot gris. I thank Tessa Radley for that one after I read her Saxon Brides books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Lyn, I really did want to go to RWA and am green with envy at all the photos, but I'm already busy with RWAus and RWNZ conferences and a trip back home to UK to see my old mum in September. I just couldn't fit anything else in (never mind the cost!). I'll be going next year, though (fingers crossed)- to New York!
    It was a real treat to share a cover with Amy- just magical!
    And I love a pinot gris, too. Good old Tessa, she has fabulous taste!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had a mojito. I don't know why. I must remedy that soon.

    Does a margarita count as a cocktail? If so, that's my favourite. I think I like the salt on the rim of the glass most of all.

    Glad you had a lovely holiday in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Claire, yes a margarita is a cocktail- and very yummy too! I'm not particularly fond of the salt, I did have one recently that had cinnamon sugar round the rim- THAT was very nice!

      Delete
  9. Oh, I do like a good Pina Colada! Hawaii was one of my favorite vacations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, yes, I had one of those in Hawaii- it was delicious! Althoug, with the cream, it was quite filling. Just one in an evening is enough!

      Delete
  10. Louisa, I loved your list and my mission is to round up you and Michelle and Claire for a round of Mojitos in Sydney - they're my favourite too! We'll find a suitably non-minty one for Amy. You must be so proud of your gorgeous boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you accomplish your mission, Barb! I, for one, won't be complaining!

      Delete
  11. I think I'd go wild in the US with books. When I went to NZ, I was so surprised at the price of books (and orange juice...now there's a random thought!). As for cocktails...yum! (But even better if someone else is paying!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well, Samstillreading, we did spend a little time at check-in moving the books between all our bags to manage our weight limit!!! And free cocktails are much, much better, I agree!

      Delete
  12. Great random thoughts, Louisa! Books are always a good thought, random or otherwise! And cocktails - I used to love a nice cocktail - alas these days it's better if I stick to a glass of wine and just the one! Doesn't your son look so handsome all dressed up for the formal! I can imagine you were a very proud mum!

    ReplyDelete