Jun 11, 2014

Random Thoughts with Michelle Douglas


Well…you know, I think I’ve been working my brain too hard. We’ve been doing PhD work, my brain and I, and it’s left me brain-mushy with a sadly-depleted attention span. Hence, random thoughts... ;-)

#1 On Saturday I attended an Open House. I LOVE going into other people’s houses and imagining the life I would lead if I lived there. I would of course be more organised, would dust more often, be a better cook, and write deliriously good books. This particular house was different, though. It’s at the very end of a cul de sac on a bluff that overlooks the sea. It’s a dream home. It’s going to be auctioned and it will sell for a motza. This is the view from the deck.



If I lived in this house nothing would get done. Ever. I wouldn't be an improved version of myself. I'd just sit and stare at that view all day. :)

# 2 I’ve been exercising with concerted regularity for the last 5 or 6 weeks. This exercise consists of a weekly yoga class and a 40 minute walk 5 days a week (roundabout). Lawd, I can’t tell you how much my mood has improved. I’m so chipper! Okay, well maybe not, but I’m not as stressed as PhD stuff usually makes me. Also, today, I noticed my jeans weren’t so tight in the butt. Of course, I’d like it if they weren’t so tight around the waist. But that’s progress right?

# 3 I’ve been pondering on the way male and female body parts can be used as symbols to praise and/or denigrate heroes and heroines in romances. For example, a hero in a recent romance I read thinks this after an exchange with the heroine: “Yeah, chicks loved it when you begged. How about if he went ahead and handed her balls and said, Do what you will.” At a different point when he’s grumpy and working on her house the heroine thinks: “He was still ripping and tearing stuff. Obviously having his period.” These snippets made me laugh, but on reflection they make me uneasy. Men’s bits are symbols of strength while women’s bits (or their biological processes) are symbols of weakness or irrationality. Nuh uh. Wrong. I am woman here me roar!

# 4 I have just glommed Call the Midwife. Can’t wait for Season 4. Anyone else out there love the series? I love, love, love it! Those in the know, tell me, should I read the book?

# 5 My August cover is GORGEOUS. It’s my favourite cover yet. My July cover is nice too. But it will be hard to top this. What do you think?



# 6 My song crush at the moment is Eric Clapton’s Layla. The acoustic version. It’s so mellow and cruisey. Click here if you want to go and listen. :)


So what about you? Been having any random thoughts lately?

15 comments:

  1. Michelle

    Great random thoughts love that view from the deck of the house wow I don't hink I would get anythong done wither LOL as for me the thing I think about most these days is to retire I have so many great books here to read and not enough time. Time is what I need more of LOL

    I love that cover as well :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, retirements sounds like something that could occupy a lot of my time too, Helen. Lots and lots of lovely dreams to be had there. :-)

    As for that house, if one straightened the view a bit, you just look straight out to sea. It's absolutely amazing. The smell of salt and the sound of waves. I tell myself it's something to aspire to…maybe I could retire there. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I get to know you Ms Douglas, the more I do think we were separated at birth! There is absolutely NO WAY I;d get a thing done in that house either!

    Also, Call The Midwife - OMG! Freaking love that show. I mean, I love just about any show with midwives (One Born Every Minute is a fav) but its just so delightfully sublime. The *atmosphere* of the whole thing is amazing - that post war, baby boom, we're-poor-but-we're-alive-so-lets-celebrate it feel is totally engaging. I laugh and cry and sigh every episode. There was an ep a few weeks ago where I was literally a snotty mess by the end of it. Brilliant, brilliant television! I haven't read the book but I reckon it'd be a cracker too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, twin-sister of mine,…perhaps we can retire to twin-dream-houses when we have more leisure time. ;-)

      You're right, Call the midwife is done so well and captures the time and atmosphere perfectly. I watch a lot of romantic comedy, but the gentle earnestness and sincerity of this one has really grabbed at me. And I suspect I know which 'snotty mess' episode you're talking about. I was clutching a soggy tissue in my hand by the end of it.

      Delete
    2. You're so right, its gentle and sincere. I feel like its a privilege to be witness to the birth's that take place and to peek into an era where community was king.
      Twin-dream-houses. Check! :-)

      Delete
  4. It's a cynical-free zone, which is kind of refreshing.

    We can watch it on an endless loop in our twin-dream-houses. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a fantastic house, definitely designed to enjoy, not slave over.
    great cover too. But then most covers are better than any I get. Grizzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house is huge, Sue, meaning someone will have to slave over it. But, hey, I think in a dream house it's more than reasonable to expect a housekeeper too, right? ;-) As for covers, the cover fairy has been exceptionally kind to me. I hope she sprinkles some fairy dust your way too.

      Delete
  6. I agree with you on Call the Midwife. I've watched it since the first episode aired and I love it. I haven't read the book, so can't advise you on that, but a friend of mine who did her midwifery training back then, or almost that far back, says it is completely accurate which is nice to know.

    Also agree that your cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, another Call the Midwife devotee, Claire! And I'm so glad it's all accurate. I'd have been down in the dumps if it weren't. It makes me very glad we live now they with all the advances that have been made in medicine.

    P.S. The only problem with that cover is that it makes me want to go and eat cupcakes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahem, that was supposed to be *now, though* rather than *now they*. Proofread, Michelle, proofread!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL on your random thoughts, Michelle! Mmm, that house - what a view! It's hard to imagine you'd ever get to take it for granted so it would be awfully hard to get work done!

    I haven't watched any of Call the Midwife. Our Tv is a bit hit and miss with the reception. Perhaps I need to buy the series! Mmm, there's a thought!

    Your cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Sharon, my brain is just feeling…random at the moment. ;-)

      Seems we all agree on that house. I mean, we don't even need to see the the actual house, do we, just the view. And as for Call the Midwife…I think you'd love it. Go grab the first season on dvd and see what you think (oh, and keep the tissues handy). :-)

      Delete
  10. Michelle, I love your random thoughts! I totally agree with #3. It makes me very uncomfortable. I read a romance recently where the heroes from two consecutive books were play-fighting and calling each other words for lady parts when they fell over, etc. Romance should be the genre that shows women as strong, and that to say when the men failed they were as weak as women, is kinda demoralizing. :(

    Hey, I *love* that new cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how these things enter our daily usage, Rach, and we don't really think about their deeper meanings. I'm trying to be mindful of this stuff, though. After all, we are women hear us roar. ;-)

      Yeah, there's a lot to love in that cover. Happy sighs. :-)

      Delete