Jun 23, 2014

And THIS Is Why I Write Romance!



The wonderful Helen Lacey’s blog on Friday has inspired my blog today so many thanks to her!


I get asked a lot why I write/read romance. Sometimes nicely, a lot of times with a pained derogatory tone that makes me want to slap the person delivering the question upside the head.

Sometimes I answer this well with rational thought and well-constructed arguments.  Other times I’m so damn mad I get flustered and end up falling back on the usual “escapist” clichés.

In future I’m going to refer them to this clip from the movie that Helen referenced in her blog - The Mirror Has Two Faces. 

This. This is why I write/read romance.
And the rest is all just noise.  






I also love this scene.






The movie also has one of the best, sexiest, hottest, emotionally gut-wrenching almost sex scenes I’ve ever seen. I tried to find it on youtube but youtube said no. But trust me, if you haven’t seen this underrated little gem of a movie you should. It’s brilliant. And it’s the best advertisement/defence for love and romance you’ll ever see.

Why do you read romance?
 

19 comments:

  1. Okay, so now I have to go and buy this movie and watch it! Now. Today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do, Michelle. Now. Today. I can't believe my twin hasn't already seen it ;-)

      Delete
  2. So- I just downloaded this via itunes for $5.99 and watched it on my computer. *sigh* - and, AA- you are to blame now if I'm late getting this book in!!! LOL
    Oh- and I cried Twice. Great movie ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to watch the whole film now, aren't I?

    She's so right - we come back to romance again and again because it feels so good - nothing else makes us feel quite like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Annie, I'm afraid you are. There's just no two ways about it :-)

      Delete
  4. Hi AA - I just watched both scenes and loved them as much as ever. I do especially love the scene where the hero Greg has his realization of love while lying on his friend's couch, clearly in delightful agony that's he thinking he's lost her forever. Sigh. Must go and watch it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, Helen, I love that scene too :-) Poor Gregory - he did try so hard to have a relationship not based on sex!

      Delete
  5. Hi Amy

    I need to get this one as well :-)

    I just get such a buzz from reading romance they lift me up when I am feeling a bit down and lift me higher when I am happy and there are so many different genres to choose from I can have historical a suspense what ever and some make me laugh out loud as Sam and Nick are doing at the moment in Risky Business loving it.

    Thank you all for writing such great stories for us lovers of romance

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd really enjoy it, Helen. Maybe not as much as Nick and Sam though ;-)

      Delete
  6. Amy, I've put this on my must-watch-again list!
    Reading romance is such a great way to get a lift, a little bit of time out, relaxing, affirmative! What's not to like!
    (happy sigh) Might have to raid the book shelf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must watch it again, too, Sharon. Looking at these clip these last few days has made me crave again!
      Exactly - what's not to like!

      Delete
  7. This was a really good movie! I could never get my husband to watch it again. For some reason, he has an aversion to Barbara Streisand! I would say I read romance & watch romantic movies because they make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol, Sharlene - I couldn't get my hubby to watch it the first time round :-) and nothing to do with Barbra - it's just not his type of movie.
    Making you happy is a pretty damn good reason if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay you've hooked me on the movie too. Great scenes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy, I just watched your first clip and now I need to see the movie (can't believe I've missed it all these years). I didn't watch the second clip because now I want to see the movie, I don't want any spoilers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You so do, Rach! Maybe we should watch it together!

      Delete
    2. Pajama party / movie night! I'm in!

      Delete