Apr 11, 2014

Sue's Time Wasters

Why is it when I'm working to a deadline I can find the time to play Suduko? A ten minute game seems like nothing until I realise I've wasted an hour on six games. 'Just one more,' is a constant phrase of mine.
There are also other time wasters in my life that use up minutes faster than an hungry dog empties his bowl.


 
Word puzzles of any kind keep me busy for lots of precious minutes.
 

 
A jigsaw is another thing that keeps me distracted which is why I rarely start one. They take up more than minutes, in fact they eat hours. Strange really when all I'm doing is putting weird shaped pieces of cardboard together to create a picture that I'll then break up and put away in the box again.
 
 
But there is one time waster that I'll happily give up days for. My grandson, Austin.

 
Last week my DB and I got an SOS from our daughter. Could we babysit for three days as she had to work very long days and go to a work dinner one of those nights. What deadlines? The book could wait. We were in the car within a very short time and five hours later were in Christchurch ready to enjoy our wee man. The time flew by and every minute was fun. Okay, not when he fell over the edge of the step into the garden or when he decided sleep was highly over rated and playing far more enjoyable. But I'm happy to waste time with this little guy. I did take the laptop with the silly idea there might be half an hour here or there to work towards that deadline, but did it come out of it's carry bag? Nah. Not once. Do I care? Nope. Not at all.

What is your favourite time waster? Or are you so organised you can avoid them?

13 comments:

  1. Oh, Sue, I know exactly what you mean.

    Why is it that when I have a deadline I need to re-arrange my bookshelves? I mean, really? That can't wait till after the deadline? Apparently not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird, isn't it, Claire. Then we grizzle because we're pushed for time - well, I do anyway. Must be a writer thing.

      Delete
  2. Sue, I can tell you what my least favourite time waster is and that's organising my tax return! I've just done it - very very late, but it's done! (sigh) And now I've got that off my chest... LOL

    I'm a sudoku fan too! But I think you've got the most adorable "time-waster" there in your grandson! Who could blame you for not getting the laptop out while he's around to entertain you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, you just spoilt my day. Tax. Yep, it needs doing. And that's not even fun time wasting. Yeah, the little is a cutey - as all Granny's say.

      Delete
  3. Oh Sue, what a cute little time waster :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he? Love him. Probably best he lives five hours by road away or I'd never meet a deadline.

      Delete
  4. Sue, I find I spend more time cooking and doing trips to the post office or going for longer walks or, my personal favourite, going for coffee! The Sudoku and book reading don't help either! Good luck with the deadline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, I don't count cooking or walks as time wasting - they're beneficial. :)

      Delete
  5. Sue

    Grandchildren are the best time wasters I have 6 of them and another on the way and they always take up time but I do enjoy them so much the internet is another one for me LOL and when I have a huge TBR pile that has so many books I want to read, I am sure you will get the book done :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 6 going on 7 grandkids. That's serious time wasting. But oh what fun.

      Delete
  6. Your grandson is adorable, Sue!

    The internet is a huge time waster for me. LOL But I also like to play Top Chef Mahjong from the Bravo TV site. ;)

    Marcy Shuler

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Marcy. I'm not going to argue - being a very biased granny.
    As for the internet, thank goodness it doesn't attract me very much at all. Don't know the Top Chef Mahjong series. Not sure if we get it here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to waste time with your grandson. I agree. He is adorable.

    My biggest time waster is a bunch of daily games that take me anywhere from an hour to two hours to play on the internet. I use the excuse that it keeps my brain active but I love to just veg out doing them.

    ReplyDelete