Apr 28, 2014

Covers - a many splendoured thing by Amy Andrews

One of the biggest thrills as an author is when you start receiving your foreign translations in the mail. I love it! :-)
Someone suggested in Annie West's fab cover blog  last week how interesting it would be to see the same book in all its different foreign translations. Well....your wish is my command :-)

First book is The Devil and the Deep. I wasn't too thrilled with the English covers.







But I have loved the translations!

Korean!
Lithuanian!

German













Second is Driving Her Crazy. This is a book that was truly blessed by the cover fairies in just about every incantation. I loved the English versions.



UK Hardcover

UK Riva Edition
US KISS version

And the translations. Note how popular the original KISS version of the cover was with all the translation markets. I love how they've each altered the cover slightly though to give it their own twist! 




Italian
Poland
Sweden





German
Last is The Italian Count's Baby. Again I was underwhelmed by the English covers...

The UK hardback - eww! 


The Presents version








My first Manga

        Japanese version has a dust jacket

But I have 3! Japanese translations including my first Manga to make up for the other two :-)




 I particularly love this Italian version because I actually have a picture of me in this almost same exact spot in Ravello in the Amalfi coast hinterland. I was very excited to see this one!








So, what do you reckon? Mixed bag there, right?  Any of them stand outs for you?

20 comments:

  1. Amy, thanks for sharing those. What a terrific collection! I think I especially like that last cover on the Italian Coast but it's such fun seeing the way the various countries have interpreted the artwork for 'Driving Her Crazy'. Then too I rather like the gorgeous see in 'The Devil and the Deep' - it makes me want to dive straight in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie! I love that Italian coast cover :-)

      Delete
  2. I always like the US covers the best, maybe because I live there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your first Manga!

    I think my favourite cover here is the German version of Driving Her Crazy, but the other versions are nice too. It's a lucky book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Claire - I love all my CORA covers, they do them well!

      Delete
  4. I love seeing all the various covers. The thing that stands out for me is the purple car on the Italian version of Driving Her Crazy. Maybe it's because I've always had a thing for purple cars. I don't like the heads cropped off though.

    One of my first boyfriends painted the "fins" on his car purple for me. I can't remember the make of the car but it was from the early 60's when cars had "fins" and were painted in two colors. hiw car was white with blue until he made it white with purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should say His car in the last sentence.

      Delete
    2. Now that's what a call a fab boyfriend, Kaelee! :-)

      Delete
    3. I agree, Kaelee, the purple sprang out at me too! And the headless people :-)

      Delete
  5. I know the Korean cover for The Devil and the Deep doesn't really have much to recommend it as a romance cover, Amy, but I am feeling myself weirdly drawn to it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hubba hubba on the Lithuanian cover, Amy! And how absolutely fantastic to have had a photo of yourself at the same spot as that Italian translation!

    Fun to see the different covers for the same story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Lithuanian cover, Sharon. Actually I just freaking love that I have a Lithuanian translation! :-)

      Delete
  7. Love that sparkly dust jacket on the Japanese version of The Italian Count's Baby. It's the book equivalent of a tiara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Japanese translations are exquisite, Rach. And the paper is amazing too!

      Delete
  8. Amy

    I love those Manga covers they are cute and the Driving Her Crazy covers are really good :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having just started to get a few foreign translations coming through for my own books I'm always amazed at each country's interpretation of the story- LOVE the headless Italian one with the purple car- In fact I love all the bold colored ones (the KISS and Riva ones particularly- biased, me?). Very impressed you have manga!!! Now we need to know what all the titles mean, because I'm thinking it's not a direct translation most of the time?

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVED seeing all your covers, Alison. Unfortunately I don't have any foreign translations yet but seeing your makes me wish I did! My favourite of your would have to be "Driving her Crazy" and it's interesting that so many of the covers for that book used the same image. I really love the Japanese and Korean covers for the Harlequin books.

    ReplyDelete