Apr 23, 2014

Six of My Favourite Things

It's my turn to post about some of my favourite things (not including family and friends because they are a given), so here goes...



1)      My tea set. I have a very old willow pattern tea set, so delicate that it’s almost transparent. I’ve owned it for 40 years and it’s precious to me. I even transported it across the world without a mishap. 




2)      Our swimming pool. As a child growing up in the UK I dreamed of having my very own pool and when we built one in our Australian backyard, it was truly a dream come true.



3)      My garden. It’s not all perfect all year round, but there’s always something of beauty to draw me outside. Currently, it’s the autumn-flowering roses.






4)      Birds. Especially the colourful natives like rainbow lorikeets and crimson rosellas, but I also love kookaburras, fairy wrens, honeyeaters, and the list goes on.




5)     The beach. I’m not an ocean swimmer, I don’t surf and I don’t sail, but I love to visit the beach, walk on the sand, watch the waves and listen to the sounds of the sea. For me, there’s nothing more relaxing, and this beach is close to home.


6)   Books. This one almost goes without saying, doesn’t it? But which books? My chick lit collection or the multitude of books in my Kindle library? I love print and ebooks alike, because it’s the stories that I value most. But this blog post is about my favourite things so I have to choose my complete set of Georgette Heyer romances with their beautiful covers. 




So, that's my six. Does reading these posts about our favourite things make you sing like Julie Andrews? (Or is that just me?)

18 comments:

  1. I *love* that tea set, Claire! I'm a china collector too so I totally appreciate what it means to you.
    Snap also on the feelings about the beach. Go in the ocean? Ugh, shudder. No way am I swimming around in something where I cant see what's swimming around with me! But walk on the sand and listen to the ocean? yup. Could do that all day! :-)
    Also, Julie Andrews? Another of my favourite things :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another china collector! That's three LoveCats (including Helen Lacey who mentioned her china collection in a previous post). Any more, I wonder?

      Delete
  2. Claire, I loved all the things on your list! My pool and drinking tea out of china cups inherited from my grandmother are some of favourite things too. My twin girls watch The Sound of Music any chance they get and to be honest it drives me a bit batty....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen The Sound of Music for years, but I do love that song. If I had to hear it all the time, though, I imagine that I'd go batty too. :)

      Delete
  3. Great list of favourite things, Claire! The tea set looks exquisite and it sounds like you've done really well to have moved across the world with it!

    I love a good beach walk too - good for blowing away the cobwebs! How lovely that you've got one close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I do consider myself lucky to live near beautiful beaches, Sharon. I must make more time for beach walking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I ever come to visit, Claire, please don't serve me tea in one of your gorgeous tea cups. They're too beautiful (and fragile) for such fingers as mine. ;-) What we'll do instead is go for a walk on your gorgeous beach and talk endlessly about Georgette Heyer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claire, we just watched 'Sound of Music' again the other night so yes, I've got that 'Favourite Things' song going around in my head.

    What a great list (and photos!). I'd love to sit with that view of the pool, sipping tea from your willow pattern set and enjoying the garden and the birds. What lovely favourites! And don't get me started on Georgette (a fave of mine since school) or the magic that is the beach. Sigh. So many good things here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgette Heyer is like comfort food to me. There are times when I need something special and nothing will do but to take a GH from the shelf and indulge.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who loves walking on the beach but not splashing in the waves. I'm with you Amy, I don't like swimming where I can be eaten!

    Loved reading about your favourite things, Claire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. The pool is for swimming and the sea is for listening to.

      Delete
  8. Claire

    I too love the beach and the tea set and of course my books print or e books :) I have a few tea sets that were my Mums and they are very special to me :) and I do love seeing other peoples favourite things

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, I also hear Julie Andrews whenever I see the Favourite Things heading. And I always get the list mixed up: like whiskers on roses and raindrops on kittens.

    Am in awe of you bringing your fine china halfway around the world and keeping it intact. Nothing fragile manages to last in my household. (What is that saying about the bull in the china shop?)

    Love all your list: I'm another lover of beach walking, beach sitting, sleeping anywhere I can hear the sound of waves on the beach. Love birds too, including many of the beauties you listed. And those flowers? Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty roses, aren't they? They're gorgeous in spring and again in autumn.

      Delete
  10. Count me in to your list of beach-walking lovers. Swimming? No thanks!

    I love your willow pattern china- reminds me of my old Mum in the Lake District with her collection :-)

    I have to confess I've never read a Georgette Heyer. I know…I know….I will. I have one on my kindle ready and waiting, but there are too many other books out there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many books! I know the feeling, Louisa. There are so many I want to read and can't find the time for...and yet, I still manage to re-read a GH now and then. Oh well, I eat comfort food now and then too.

      Delete