Jan 18, 2013

And The Winner Is . . . .

By Helen Lacey

With Oscar time coming up, the Golden Globes a recent event (Yay to Hugh Jackman!), test cricket, the Australian Tennis Open etc – there seems to be a whole swag of things happening where people can be competitive in their chosen field and be in with a chance to take home a statue, a cup, a title or some other manner of prize. For romance writers there is the upcoming Rita and the Golden Heart, the Romantic Times award and closer to home the Ruby, Emerald, Ella and very soon the ARRA awards (Australian Romance Readers Awards). As well as numerous smaller writing contests for both published and aspiring authors. That means there is plenty of opportunity to be recognized and/or rewarded, although often the nomination is reward enough.

I was thinking about this the other day when a writer friend told me a story about her elderly father, who’d worked in public service all his life and upon retirement began pursuing his passion for fish. At first I thought she meant finishing, but no, this was the fish-tank variety. He joined an aquarium society (I didn’t know there was such a thing) and after some time began entering competitions with his marine aquarium. My friend told me that her dad just came back from a competition and had won Best In Show for his Harlequin Tusk-Fish and a also very respectable second for Best Display. She had a photo of her dad holding up his trophy and his happiness about his win was delightful. Seeing his commitment made me realize that everywhere, all over the globe, people are chugging away at their chosen craft, hobby, or job, putting themselves ‘out there’ much like an author does every time a book gets subbed to a publisher or  it hits the selves. Or like an actor does with every movie. Or like a contestant does on Masterchef. Or a tennis player does every time they walk onto centre court.

Passionate people are everywhere in life - so what’s your passion? Is it painting? Parenting? Parachuting? Are you a scrapbooker? Latin dancer? Athlete? Whatever our job, hobby or career - if we do it with passion and commitment, that makes us all winners - regardless of how many awards or tropies we might or might not win.
Are you pursuing a long-held passion at the moment? Or have you discovered a new passion in 2013? I have a copy of my January Harlequin Special Edition, His-And-Hers Family to give away to one commenter.

15 comments:

  1. Helen, I know it's predictable for a writer but I have to say my prime passion has always been reading but the last couple of months have been so busy that reading books other than the ms I'm tackling just hasn't happened. One of the lovely things about the last 2 weeks is the wonderful books my family gave me for Christmas and the fact that i've been squeezing time in to read and thoroughly lose myself in other people's stories. It's wonderful and so very refreshing for a writer. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been a competitive badminton player since my daughter was born in 1987; now we play tournaments together!
    I just wanted to keep my photos in better condition than when they were in magnetic photo albums, and now I'm apparently a "scrapbooker". I LOVE to buy new stickers, diecuts, paper, etc., but, like books, I have more than most people would feel I should.
    Scrapbooking supplies led me to "specialty wrapping" presents. I now attach various embellishments, often matching the present to the envelope to the card inside.
    Special wrapping led me to writing my own poetry for those special occasions (as well as my annual Christmas newsletter now being in rhyme). I like to print the poems into blank cards, decorate the card, then the envelope, and then the present. It's a vicious battle (grin).
    I haven't discovered a new passion yet in 2013. I am trying to catch up on my scrapbooking (which is only up to 1992, but to be fair, it started way back in the late 1800s and became really "busy" starting in the forties when my parents wed).
    And, of course, there will always be my TBR pile. Always a priority. Never read enough....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well my passion is growing tomatoes. I just love the taste of vine ripened tomatoes.

    My second passion would be reading romance. I love knowing there will be a happy ever after going into a book. There are so many bad news days that I just have to escape to my happy place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! I need to tell you how much I enjoyed Marriage Under the Mistletoe and His-and-Hers Family. I'm looking forward to reading more stories about the Preston family and Crystal Point. I have a bet with myself about what may? and I hope will happen in a future story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen, that photo of the fish is beautiful - is it taken from the prize-winning tank? I can imagine very happily sitting for hours to watch those fish swim around!

    I'd have to say... I have serial passions! Or perhaps it's more that I dabble enthusiastically and then try something else! At the moment, my passion is yoga! And it's so good for me that I've promised myself I'll keep it up so it becomes part of my daily schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm finding that the more I write, the more passionate about writing I'm becoming. Perhaps it's because I'm always learning something new about the craft and about my own abilities. I am never, ever bored by it.

    Also, I have a huge passion for travel, but I don't get to indulge it often.

    I love hanging out with passionate people. Their enthusiasm can be so contagious...and passion, think, is ALWAYS interesting.

    Fab post! Thanks, Helen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Annie - I love that reading is a passion for you. One of my resolutions for 2013 was to take more time to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laney - what a fabulous assortment of passions you have. And your badminton sounds awesome. Thanks for leaving such a great comment and sharing with us today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm doing a lot more of my craft work lately. I like to knit, sew, crochet & embroider. At the moment I'm into the sewing, which means I have fabric spread out from one end of the house to the other, or so it seems - so much fun for my family. The project of the moment is cushion covers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kaelee - you're right, home grown tomatoes do taste fabulous. I have some of those little ones growing atm - if I go out to pick them, they usually don't make the long walk upstairs to the kitchen.
    Thanks you for your lovely words about the books too - so glad you're enjoying them. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sharon - no, the pic isn't of his winning tank - he was too shy to show it off LOL. But it is spectacular. I love that you have serial passions :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would like to travel more

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Michelle - I love that your passi for writing keeps growing. And yes, I would also like to spend more time travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mary - a project - how fabulous.Good luck with your cushions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi bn100 - another traveller! Hope you get to indulge that passion. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete