Aug 23, 2017

Tropical bliss — Kandy Shepherd


I just returned from a few days break in tropical north Queensland—the Australian state to the north of New South Wales where I live. I went in search of warmth and relaxation and found both. The winter in my part of DownUnder has been decidedly chilly. Not so in Port Douglas! It was perfect with just-right hot sunny days and water the right temperature to swim in. Bliss!



Note, however that I swam only in the pool. Walking along the lovely Four Mile Beach in Port Douglas I asked a local who was walking her cute dog why no one was swimming.

“Because there could be crocodiles in the water,” she replied somewhat reluctantly, perhaps not wanting to scare the tourists.



EEEK! Sharks I know about, but crocodiles in the surf? Apparently they sneak in from the mangrove swamps that bracket the beach. So no swimming on a beach what wasn’t netted.

The hotel where we stayed has beautiful tropical gardens. What says vacation and sun more than palm trees?



 I realised as I wandered around that the grounds that so much of the beauty of a tropical garden is in its leaves—as colourful as any flower. In fact some of the tropical plants have tiny, insignificant flowers. I just loved those leaves. But sadly tropical plants wouldn’t thrive in my farm garden where frosts are frequent.



Was there something significant I could learn from my trip to enhance my writing? Maybe something about hidden dangers or hidden beauty? Who knows what might sneak out of my subconscious and onto the page! One thing for sure is that the next romance I write will be set somewhere in the tropics!


 What says “vacation” to you? Have you ever been surprised by something unexpected where you’ve visited? Is there something about your home town you think visitors should know? I’d love to read your comments!

PS. I stayed at the QT Resort in Port Douglas. 




12 comments:

  1. Hi Kandy

    WOW what lovely photos and I agree those leaves are gorgeous and yep I wouldn't be swimming at that beach either with the risk of crocodiles but for me vacation is water beaches cruise ships LOL and there have been so many things that have made me smile on a cruise. And as I live in a suburb of Sydney I would recommend a cruise around Sydney Harbour is a must.

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen, I know you can highly recommend a cruise! Of course a cruise around the harbour is the first thing to recommend for a visitor to Sydney. Even just catching ferries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think beach when I think holiday, too, Kandy. Although Italy isn't far behind :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My idea destinations seem to include either water or shopping, Amy. Or both! Italy certainly fits the bill.

      Delete
  4. Your holiday looks wonderful, Kandy! Though the thought of crocodiles does not fill me with a huge amount of enthusiasm. Although those palm trees might make up for that.

    The beach is always my idea of the ultimate relaxing holiday destination. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult to beat the beach, isn't it Michelle!

      Delete
  5. Love a gorgeous beach, but I'm the one who always cuts her foot on the coral or gets stung by a stray jellyfish. I'd rather swim in a pool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful place Kandy ! Vacation to me is lush - pools, the beaches. Daydream is a lovely place unexpected was the kookaburra that visted our patio every day. :D glad you had a wonderful vacation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely with you on the choice of vacation Katrina! And a cute visiting kookaburra would be a bonus!

      Delete
  7. What gorgeous pictures! I love Port Douglas, it's such a beautiful place and has a great vibe to it. Sounds like you had a blast :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stefanie. I'm happy to go to Port Douglas any chance I can get!

      Delete