Aug 16, 2017

La Dolce Vita - Italian Rooftop Living by Annie West

Earlier this year I had the good fortune to spend some time in Rome. Yay! I loved the place for so many reasons, in fact I've posted here at LoveCats DownUnder about that very thing, and I may even have shared this photo of a potted olive tree on the rooftop of our hotel. It was one of my favourite spots in the city. At sunset it was the perfect place to unwind, to put your tired feet up after a long day of tramping the streets seeing the sights, and enjoy a cool drink. Apart from that there's the view. Personally I love the fact Rome isn't home to a stack of skyscrapers. You can look out across the city and feel that it hasn't burgeoned any higher than it was a few hundred years ago, which gives it a rather relaxed, homey feel, despite the bustle and traffic. But of course, if you're on a rooftop terrace, one of the joys is that all of that is far away.

Speaking of the view, how's this? It's just the local neighbourhood from our hotel, but so appealing to watch the sun go down from here.


What particularly fascinated me was the range of ways the roof terrace was used. Like this. And yes, as well as flowers, these hydroponic gardens were full of herbs and strawberries. Yum!


And of course, where else would put your pool in a crowded city but on the roof? Especially given the fact it looks out on the Colosseum.


Do you like the idea of rooftop living? If you live in an apartment it definitely makes sense to install and use a rooftop terrace. Obviously a lot of Romans feel that way.


It seemed that the more I looked the more little tucked away terraces I noticed on inner city buildings. This one is right next to the Vatican.


I think you'd feel like the king of the castle at this one.


And this one reminds me of a wedding pavilion. All it needs is the swathes of bunting.


And I particularly like this one that I noticed when I happened to look up from a corner.


So, can you see yourself somewhere like this sipping a glass of something cool while the sun goes down? Or maybe with a mug of coffee while taking a break with a book, or hosting a family party? Where's your favourite place to unwind outdoors?

Clearly I'm having a LOVE ITALY month! As well as reliving my rambles in Rome I've also got a new Hot Italian Nights novella  AT THE ITALIAN'S BIDDING  out this month. Yippee!






















15 comments:

  1. Annie, what gorgeous photos! And congratulations on your new release. I've been loving your Italian Billionaires. :-)

    I think terrace and rooftop living would suit me nicely...not quite so much maintenance as a crazy huge yard. And while Rome is unimaginably romantic and sophisticated, give me a view over the beach -- happy sighs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I'm sure there are places with rooftop terraces and views over the water. Bound to be - that's something to aim for.

      I'm so pleased you liked the photos. I found them so fascinating.

      Delete
  2. Hi Annie
    They are lovely photos and I would love to be sitting out on one of them now with a glass of wine and a good book or chatting to someone. I haven't had a lot to do with roof top gardens but I know I would love them. For me I like to sit our on the back patio and read not that I do it too much the recliner inside is very comfortable :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, maybe your fantasy roofgarden would have a comfy recliner. Or a spa. Or a pool! Mine would definitely have a shady pergola with a long table and lots of chairs so I could share meals with friends.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Hi Annie. Beautiful photos you did in Rome. I'm glad you liked it. I would look at one of those terraces to have a coffee and read a book. My favorite outdoor place to relax reading a book is my own garden, or the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Franca. I'm so pleased you like the photos. I've seen pictures of your garden so I can imagine why you'd like reading there. Hope you get another trip to the beach soon!

      Delete
  4. Hi Annie,
    Terraces that you photographed are so evocative. We use our roof for stargazing and watching fireworks on holidays. We used to have old movie theater seats up there!
    Nothing as elegant as those Roman roofs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, the old theatre seats sound like fun. What a terrific place to view fireworks and stars!

      Delete
  5. Annie, how wonderful to look up and see all those hidden, private rooftop living spaces. A whole different world from the street below. And of course a different perspective of the city for the people on the rooftops.
    I have travelled a bit but have never been to Rome. It's definitely on the wishlist. So now is a roof terrace in Rome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kandy, yes, it's like a whole private world up there. I wonder how I can get an invitation to visit one?

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the release of the Hot Italian Nights novella, Annie. Very exciting.

    I love anywhere with a spectacular view and a rooftop terrace in Italy sounds like just the spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn. It's very exciting! I think I'd like the sense of space, being up above everything.

      Delete
  7. Lovely post, Annie. I loved the peek into the real life of Romans. As you know, it's a city I really loved - I'd love to go back there one day. Congratulations on At the Italian's Bidding. It's a corker of a story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm assuming the terraces are used at lot at night, Anna. It would be fun to find out. Thank you for the congratulations. I'm chuffed!

      Delete