Apr 3, 2015

When it all goes wrong.

I've had one of those weeks I'd rather forget. Apart from the fact I got tricked on April Fool's Day, I missed a really important meeting, I didn't reach my word count for two days in a row, and my kids started laughing hysterically when I sang the words to one of my favourites songs on the radio. The reason they laughed wasn't because I was off key....at least I don't think I was.. it was because they said I had the lyrics completely, ridiculously, tragically wrong.

Has that ever happened to you? You've sung a song a hundred and fifty times, matching the lyrics word for word, only to suddenly realize you'd got it terribly, terribly wrong? The song I was singing was Macy Gray's "I Try" which I've always loved, and for some inexplicable reason thought she said "I wore goggles when you were not here."

Have a listen. Am I wrong? http://www.tubechop.com/watch/5621324


And then it got me thinking about all those other weird lyrics that never seemed to make any sense. I always did wonder why, in "The Police" song it was "a year since I broke my nose". Can you hear it?  http://www.tubechop.com/watch/5621351



The kids were laughing uproariously at this point and so I started to really worry that I'd been mishearing every lyric of every song. Bon Jovi came on the radio and I suddenly wondered if they were saying "it doesn't make a difference if we're naked or not": http://www.tubechop.com/watch/5621361
So, in the spirit of people making a fool of themselves everywhere...and because lots of us have a holiday for Good Friday today, I thought I show you a whole lot more misheard lyrics and ruin it all for you too!
Tell us the lyrics you've suddenly realised you got wrong.

Hope the Easter Bunny brings you lots of chocolatey treats this weekend X


10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Good Friday laugh, Barb :-)

    For decades I thought the Cold Chisel lyrics to Flame Trees were -
    "the flame trees revive the weary driver" but its "the flame trees will blind the weary driver"....
    But had an epic mother fail a couple of years back which my kids thought was hysterial. I was signing Taylor Swifts Love Story and I thought it was - "Romeo, save me, Good Charlotte told me how to feel." but its "Romeo, save me, they try to tell me how to feel." ....... kids have never let me forget it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoL. I can totally hear your lyrics for Flame Trees now, Amy!! BTW that is one of my all time favourite songs. Such great taste. I'm off to listen to Love Story now :)

      Delete
    2. Wow, Amy - I always thought it was "revive" too! Guess I've learnt something today... I think I like our version better :)

      Delete
  2. I loved your "fractured" lyrics! That's exactly what they're singing! And that Peter Kay snippet was a scream! "Staple the Vicar"! I'm still giggling! What fun!

    I know I've had some serious lyric fails - sadly I can't bring one to mind right this minute to share. But I thought I'd send you this epic lyric fail - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld3hCJ5C8so

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL!!! Oh my lord, Sharon that was hysterical!! Ken Lee!!!! He must be so proud that such a famous song was sung about him... :-D Thanks for the laugh.

      Delete
  3. LOL Barbara

    I am sure Io this all the time but I don't really think about it unless someone points out what I have said and they haven't yet maybe they are too scared too LOL

    Happy Easter Everyone :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I showed my kids this post this morning, Helen and they cheerily told me of a whole lot more that I can't get out of my head now. Hope your easter is filled with chocolately goodness with the family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Barb. This whole post has had me in hysterics.

    I know I sing the wrong lyrics all the time from the amount of laughter coming from the backseat of my car.

    My poor little sister sang the wrong words to a very famous song when we were kids and my brother and I never let her forget it. The only thing is I can only remember her wrong words, so can't even find the song to share it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this stirred so many good memories, Jen!! I was just listening to that new Taylor Swift song and I could have sworn she was talking about "Starbucks lovers"...apparently not :P

      Delete
  6. Although I can't think of any examples right now, I think that mishearing lyrics thing is common to everyone... and although your children likely won't admit it, I can guarantee they have done the same with some of their favourite songs too.

    ReplyDelete