Jan 17, 2014

What's your passion?

By Helen Lacey

A couple of years ago my husband said he wanted to buy a car. This wasn't your average everyday driver though. This was a 1979 Holden Torana...bright yellow, hatch, V8...and as I discovered when he bought it and brought it home on a trailer...in a thousand pieces. Okay, maybe not a thousand pieces...but lots of pieces much of which was in boxes. Fast forward to present day and the car was put back together and last weekend I accompanied him to my first ever interstate car show.



I wasn't sure what to expect...cars, certainly. But I guess I had a preconceived idea about who would be there and the people it would attract. I quickly discovered it attracted all kinds of people as I observed these enthusiasts ohh-ing and ahh-ing about the cars on display. What really struck me though was the mix of models and brands. There were Holden's and Fords and Chrysler's and Chevrolet's and it actually reminded me of a writer's conference where authors from different genres merge together to celebrate/talk/share stories about the craft. And this was no different. The car enthusiasts were sharing and talking regardless of make and model and clearly there was a strong sense of community amongst  them.



And it was fun...just like a writer's conference. So, sitting in my spot under a tent with a laptop on my knees (I was on a deadline at the time) I starting thinking about passion (not the steamy kind) and what drives us to to do things like attend conferences, or train for our favourite sport, or sit in the hot sun under a tent and watch as other people walk by and admire your car. it was passion that made these car owners travel interstate and get their vehicle's into the best condition they could be in and then proudly show them off. No different perhaps to the passion it takes an author to strive for publication or an actor to yearn for the lead in a Hollywood movie.

So, what's your passion? Climbing mountains? Reading? Writing? Fast cars? Cooking? What do you love to to? And more importantly, what makes you happy?




12 comments:

  1. I love to play competitive badminton AND it makes me happy. I WAS playing 5 nights a week up to two years ago, but my knees are quite arthritic, so I've cut back to 3-4 nights. I'm 54 but there are dozens of people in our local club older than I still playing - and playing well, I might add.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laney4 - oohh, Badminton.....how fabulous. I've always envied people who are passionate about sport. :)

      Delete
    2. Ooh, Laney, badminton? I've always meant to give that a go. It sounds like fun.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Helen, that is one yellow car! :-) My first boyfriend had a Torana - it was fire engine red. It was his pride and joy. Waaaaay more important than little ol me :-)

    Am I allowed to say reading? Cos that doesn't feel like a hobby so much as a way of life but yeh....reading is one of my all time fav things to do.
    Also traveling - I hope I'm always able to travel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AA - yes, well I do sometimes call her The Mistress....although we did recently decide we should call her Old Yella'.
      And nothing wrong with reading.....food for the soul.

      Delete
  3. Helen

    Love the car brings back memories from my teenage years my now brothe in law had a gold Torana and loved it :)

    My passion would have to be reading and my grandchildren they both give me hours of pleasure and always bring a smile to my face and I am forever gratful to the wonderful authors out there that write the amazing sotires that take me all over the world back into the past and into the future :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen - what wonderful passions you have :) And yes, isn't that such a great thing about reading....we can travel the world in a few pages. :)

      Delete
  4. Got to love a yellow car, Helen. Safest colour on the road although it doesn't sound like that's why your husband bought it.

    I love travelling. Love, love, love it. Family life has curtailed that passion for the past few years but I'm biding my time and then I'll be off on lots and lots of international adventures once again. I recently did a travel writing course get to get ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn - yes, travelling is such a great passion. and a travel writing course, great idea! :)

      Delete
  5. Helen, I wish I could develop a passion for exercise, but…nada.

    So, instead, I guess I'll have to console myself with my passions for writing fiction, travelling the world (when I have the funds) and studying for my PhD. Somehow, I feel I have the right end of that particular stick.

    P.S. That Torana is fabulous! No wonder your hubby is so proud of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle - yes, I too would like an exercise passion....but being around my horses is as sporty as I get.
      And yes, he does love his car :)

      Delete
  6. Helen, that sounds like a great experience (except for working away on the tent on deadline!). Love the car too. Anything that bright has to be fun.

    My passions have always been reading and travel though it's far easier to indulge in the first. I love craft fairs too as I used to do a lot of embroidery but not so much now (funny how much time writing takes up).

    ReplyDelete