Jan 10, 2014

New Year Resolutions

As we've seen from fellow Lovecats 2014 is here and rolling along fast. No one has mentioned the word "Resolutions" yet.

Ironically, I am bringing up this subject, and I never make them. This statement doesn't include that first thought on 1st January when I roll over in bed, drag  my eyes open and say "That is the last time I party like a sixteen year old." Probably insulted most sixteen year olds on the planet for a start.

I do not vow to lose loads of weight - because that would mean giving up chocolate, roast vegetables and wine.

I do not pledge to get fitter - because I'd have to dust the cobwebs off the kayak and the bike, and those poor spiders that have been nesting (? could that be webbing) comfortably for a year or more would become displaced creatures.

I do not promise family and friends undying attention, twenty four seven. For one, they'd get sick of me, and two, I confess to enjoying some me time which doesn't involve writing books, making jam or feeding the chooks.

I will never agree to doing more housework more often. My house is kept clean and tidy, so what more do you want? I might vow to beat up the first person to bring in muck on my newly washed floors.

Will I work harder on my stories? Absolutely. But that's a given. I have goals going on all the time when it comes to my books
. Writing is my passion so this isn't hard to do, so I can't make a resolution about that as resolutions are supposed to be hard and painful. Or so it seems to me.

Actually, here's something I can pledge to do. Or not do. I will not give up all my bad habits and become so boring people fall asleep at the mention of my name.

Personally I can't think of any good reason why I should set myself up for a big fall by making vows on the first day of the year. When I want to achieve something I get on and do it. So when you next notice my waist is widening I am probably working hard on enjoying a new chocolate flavour. See, I don't understand how we can vow to lose weight while at the same time vowing to enjoy more of our favourite foods.
 

Here I am in Paris in June, celebrating my birthday with friends and my DB. He's the cheery one at the back. And now I have a thought. I will make a resolution to go back to Paris. And I will bludgeon my friends into joining me again. And I will ....
I'm getting the hang of it.

What about you? Do you make New Year Resolutions?

12 comments:

  1. Great post, Sue. You look so happy in Paris. I think that's a brilliant resolution. Might add that to my list!

    I do make resolutions, well, they are actually more like goals - does that count? But I'm like you, if I want to achieve something, I get out and do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jennifer. I haven't shown my other half that bit about Paris yet. One thing at a time.
      Goals, resolutions, whatever we call them. They're what get us moving ahead.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year and Happier NO New Year Resolutions, Sue. You are looking well and happy. Maintaining that through the year to come is all that's needed - however you get there, right? I've got to say that Paris, and doing the things you love (and not upsetting the spiders) sound like excellent methods! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clare. Who doesn't wan to do wonderful things - in amongst the other day to day stuff, of course. I'm sure you're enjoying your new year.

      Delete
  3. Sue, I think I've discovered the trick to New Year resolutions -- make them things you really want…and easy. :-) So this year I'm going to take a yoga class. Fingers crossed that it's fun. Mind you, Paris would be even more fun. Hmm…yoga in Paris, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tempt me, Michelle. Except with my lack of yoga skills I might have to fly home in a knot.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sue

    I don't make New Years resolutions either LOL I try to to the best I can each year and enjoy life :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that, Helen. Let every day be a surprise and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm another who gave up on resolutions years (dare I say decades?) ago. I do have goals but, as you've said Sue, they're ongoing and not special to January 1. Although, that said, the start of a brand new shiny year is a time I often write them down in multiple lists just to be clear with myself.

    Love your pic from Paris, celebrating your birthday. As you do. Is there a better place to celebrate anything?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny that, Bronwyn, but when we told friends, (jaded travellers) that we were going to Paris for my birthday they kind of yawned and looked as if we were crazy. But for me, I totally agree. Where better than Paris for any special occasion, or no occasion at all. Just go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue, like you I haven't made resolutions either, but coincidentally as I set the table for a special lunch today, with a cloth a bought in France, I remembered what a wonderful time we had the day I bought it, and vowed to return too. Snap! Here's so such resolutions coming true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Annie, if only it was as easy as it sounds, eh? But yes, who knows. Anything's possible.

    ReplyDelete