Since Christmas and the holiday season is only a few days away I thought it would be fun to blog about what makes this time of year so special.
Here's my list of favourite Christmas things.......
1) Presents! Well, I had to put this first since, well…it’s Christmas. I don’t normally love shopping. Probably due to the many years I spent working as a retail manager in a department store. But now I write full time I get to enjoy shopping, and this year have had fun choosing gifts. I love wrapping presents too…I love the bright paper and those little sticky labels
2) Christmas Tree! I love putting up the tree on December 1st. Well, hubby actually puts the tree up and does the lights and then I do the ornaments – which include jewel coloured baubles and cute little red velvet bows. But no tinsel. I remember as a child my parents would hang tinsel ALL over the house. From the picture below you see where one of my cats has been climbing the tree and moving said lights.
3) Food! Is there any time more designed for overeating that Christmas time? The ham, turkey, seafood, trifle….sigh…. I come from Welsh parents and my mother would always cook pork, beef and turkey for Christmas day, even in the sweltering Australian heat. These days we tend to do colder options, but the feastness (that’s a word I just made up) is still the same. Once Christmas and Boxing Day are over I always feel like I’ve been eating non-stop (and probably have) and don’t care if I never see another prawn or slice of ham. Thankfully this feeling wears off.
4) Family! Definitely the best part of Christmas. I live in a small regional town and many members of my extended family are scattered through several states, so some years there’s ten people and other years twenty or thirty. But no matter how many of us get together there’s always plenty of laughter and long talks about Christmases from years gone by.
5) Friends! Equally the best part of Christmas.
6) Pets! It’s no secret I am animal crazy (It’s not like I’m going to end up on that TV show Animal Hoarders or anything) I always get my two outside puppies a special bone-ish treat and my inside dog Samantha has a fabulous festive collar for Christmas Day. I have trialled the cat’s with their red velvet collars but neither were impressed.
7) Presents! Oh, did I cover that already?
Well, since it’s Christmas I have a giveaway from any of my backlists books to one commenter. Tell me what you love about Christmas and I’ll draw a winner on Monday.
Merry Christmas to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!