Mar 5, 2012

A Final Regency Slang Quiz!


I'm stepping down from the LoveCats, so here's one final Regency Slang Quiz using some of my favourite slang terms. Once again, these are all taken from The 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue

Have fun! (The answers are at the bottom.)

A mutton monger is:

a) a sheep farmer
b) a whore master
c) a man addicted to wenching

Pucker water is:

a) the coarsest and vilest of gins
b) a vinaigrette used to rouse ladies who have swooned
c) astringent water used on a certain part of the female anatomy to counterfeit virginity

To be scragged and ottomised is:

a) to be tied down in a dentist's chair so that one or more teeth may be removed
b) to be hanged and dissected
c) to be grabbed by the scruff of the neck and beaten 


A nit squeezer is:

a) a hairdresser
b) an organ-grinder's monkey
c) a comb

Melting moments are:

a) candles that have almost burned out
b) a fat man and woman in amorous congress
c) false words of flattery and praise


To burn one's poker is to:

a) to catch venereal disease
b) to fall into debt
c) to stay up all night

A miraculous pitcher is:

a) a flagon of spirituous liquor
b) a tankard of ale passed around in a tavern
c) the private parts of a modest woman and the public parts of a whore


A fire ship is:

a) a wench who has venereal disease
b) a cart carrying coals
c) a flatulent individual

A cackling fart is:

a) an old woman
b) a hen
c) an egg


A stargazer is:

a) an astronomer
b) a daydreamer
c) a whore who plies her trade outdoors

To make a duchess is to:

a) marry above oneself
b) have sex with one's shoes on
c) dress in all one's finery


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

So, how did you go...?

Here are the answers!

A mutton monger is: c) a man addicted to wenching

Pucker water is: c) astringent water used on a certain part of the female anatomy to counterfeit virginity

To be scragged and ottomised is: b) to be hanged and dissected


A nit squeezer is: a) a hairdresser

Melting moments are: b) a fat man and woman in amorous congress

To burn one's poker is to: a) to catch venereal disease

A miraculous pitcher is: c) the private parts of a modest woman and the public parts of a whore (miraculous because it holds water with the mouth down!)

A fire ship is: a) a wench who has venereal disease

A cackling fart is: c) an egg


A stargazer is: c) a whore who plies her trade outdoors

To make a duchess is to: b) have sex with one's shoes on

I hope you had fun with that final Regency Slang Quiz! I've really enjoyed my time with the LoveCats -- the Cats are a great group of authors and I've met some wonderful people in the comments here. See you around!

(All images courtesy of WPClipart.)

24 comments:

  1. Hilarious as always, Emily. We’re so sorry to see you go. All the best and I hope you still stop by occasionally and share some more vulgar tongue (-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, what a hoot. I only got a few of these right. They're fascinating.

    All the best for your future as a Love Cat in the Wild. I'm looking forward to hearing you're up to marvellous things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got more wrong than right but I enjoyed the quiz. I wonder what it says about me when I got all the venereal disease ones right? I did get the cackling fart one correct and the hanging one as well.
    I too will miss your posts here. I hope you will still be writing romantic romp filled Regencies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pucker water? OMG! Fabulous quiz.

    Sending lots of purrs in your direction, Emily. We'll miss you here at the LoveCats, but wishing you every success in all your future ventures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laughing loudly. What a great quizz.
    Em, we're going to miss you here. All the best and lots of success with your writing in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Emily, I shall miss these fun quizzes. The language used was so description. A cackling fart just so perfectly describes an egg being laid!

    Enjoy your time away from the LoveCats. I'm sure you'll keep busy. Hope to see you on the Gold Coast!

    Cath

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed it Anna! Yes, I'll probably drop in from time to time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Annie -- they are fun, aren't they? Yes, I'm looking forward to being a Cat in the Wild. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kaelee -- yes, I'll still be writing Regency-set books -- there's so much fun to be had with that time period! Glad you enjoyed the quiz; I'm very impressed that you got the egg one right!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, isn't the pucker water one fabulous, Michelle?! See you around!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cath! Glad you enjoyed this last quiz! I won't be at the Gold Coast conference, alas, but I may see you at a future conference...? Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there, Sue :-) Glad the quiz made you laugh! Regency slang is fun, isn't it? I'll definitely see you around, neighbour!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, Emily, will call by when I come to town. Always like to catch up. The coffee's on me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Em, I'll miss your quizzes but more so I'll miss you! I know we'll stay in touch. I wish you nothing but happiness and good fortune.
    Robbie xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Emily, I've loved these Vulgar Tongue posts and this one is another real treat! I got very few right - so I've really learned lots! Though I do think my lovely hairdresser might take exception to me calling her a nit squeezer so my new knowledge mightn't get an airing very often! But I'll be ready!

    So sorry to see you leave us. Good luck with your new adventures!

    :)
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Emily,

    ouch.. i just knew you and now you have to leave lovecat ;(

    but all the best for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Robbie -- and the same right back at you!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you enjoyed it, Marybelle. Regency slang is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah, calling one's hairdresser a nit squeezer would probably not go down well, Sharon! Glad you enjoyed the quizzes. See you around!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Eli -- and thank you! Enjoy visiting the LoveCats; they're a great bunch of authors!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good luck Em. May you have many new adventures on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks, Zana -- and yes, my horizon is excitingly full!

    ReplyDelete