Jul 18, 2011

Of bottoms and things



Reading: Kiss Me, Kill Me by Allison Brennan

Listening to: Meatloaf (showing my age)

Watching: The Tour De France. And the fog swirling past the window causing me to hope it doesn't make an appearance when I head off to the RWA conference in Melbourne next month.


A strange phenomenon has been taking place in my life. My derriere started growing. Like the weeds in the vegetable garden it spread with absolutely no input from me. And looking back I'd say this bad behaviour started around the time I sold my first book and had to take sitting down and writing another book for a contract seriously. It was insidious. Who knows? Maybe some spreading went on while I slept at night. But I really think it was all to do with sitting at my computer. Perhaps I should invest in another office chair, one that will not allow such bad behaviour and will keep my rearend in line.

Then there's the shoulder slump. I wondered if they were trying to reach down and make contact with my derriere. Could be that I needed a straitjacket to keep me upright while I work.

Finally, after loads of procrastination, I took action. Usually very fit and active I confess to having been slack (really lazy) over the last year or so. So out came the bike, up went the tyres, and then it stayed leaning against the wall for weeks. Okay, next the kayak appeared on the front lawn, taunting me every day until finally I succumbed and took it for a paddle. Great. Loved being on the briny. Three days later the wind picked up and the kayak returned to its place under the house.

In the meantime my DB was going for walks every day. Walks around here involve lots of hills, flat roads being almost non existent. Finally one day I decided to join him. Just to keep him company, you understand. I've always been able to outwalk him so this would be a doddle. Wrong. I huffed and puffed and couldn't speak a whole sentence without coughing.

My pride stepped up to the mark. I'd never been so unfit. Now every day after lunch and four hours writing I'm off like a robber's dog, charging around the corners, up and down the hills walking anything from seven to ten kms. Talk about kicking the backside into shape. And there's a bonus. Usually after a morning's writing I have a heap of questions regarding the story buzzing around in my head. Out walking I manage to resolve most of these and that gives me a head start when I next sit down at the keyboard.

When the ice and mud have completely disappeared from the road I'll take the bike out again. The only problem with that is I have to concentrate on staying upright and thinking for all the traffic that loves to cut the corners so I won't have as much story resolving time.

So what does everyone else do to keep their rearend in shape? Or are you lucky not to have to worry about these things?

Cheers
Sue

14 comments:

  1. Sue I was just thinking last night it's time to get back into tennis. Riding the exercise bike and horse riding just isn't cutting it. But now I have a puppy to walk as well, so hopefully I'll get my act together too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds to me like you're doing quite a bit of exercise, Mel. But that puppy sure will keep you moving.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol Sue. You sound like me. I can maintain any sort of exercise regime for a few weeks. A month or two if I'm thoroughly inspired but alas, lethagy just comes so naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, Sue, I made the grand mistake of stepping on the scales last week -- that was a rude awakening. Can I blame the winter weather for making me hibernate? Afraid hibernation is about to come to a screaming end -- it's walking (hills included), Zumba and Wii Fit Plus for this fat cat for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, I have precisely the same problem. I love writing but it really isn't a very active occupation. I did have a personal trainer for a while, and although she was brilliant, she also near killed me.

    I'm on deadline atm - must get this book off tonight. Then, tomorrow, I'm going to the gym, I'll make a big bowl full of fruit salad and get fit...until my next deadline - 1st of August!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zana, funny that lethagy is like that. I wonder how long I'll keep up the walking. I have set a cycling goal for once winter is over so that might help inspire me.

    Michelle, throw the scales away. They're nothing but trouble, dishing out numbers like there's no tomorrow. I'll think of you pounding the hills as I hit our road.

    Cheers
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue, good for you for getting back into walking. The sedentary nature of writing is definitely a downside but it's easily canceled out by being able to work in my track suit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue, you've put your finger on a really important issue for writers -- and for many other workers in today's computerised world. All the sitting we do is actually REALLY bad for our health.

    There was a feature article in the Dom Post last Saturday titled "Is sitting killing us? The short answer is yes." Go read it!

    And check out this link:
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/sedentary-lifestyle-hazards

    I make exercise a big part of my day -- I prioritise it as high as writing, sometimes higher -- because when I get to seventy, I want to be healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue

    Good on you I so wish I could get the energy to get out there and walk I used a lot once but these days arthritis stops me from doing too much activity although playing with my grandchildren helps a bit LOL

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Puppies are the best trainers ever. Once you get them into a routine, they keep it, even when you don't want to. And great job getting back into walking! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Robbie, I know what you mean about those personal trainers. I think they take a course in being mean to their subjects. But they do get the results, no denying that. Good luck with the deadlines.

    Rachel, you have a good point. Wearing trackies can be a positive though I confess to getting a little bit tidied up to go into my box of an office. That's because I only go to town about every ten days so miss out on putting on the glad rags.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Em, I'm going to look up those articvles you mentioned. I've also set myself a goal to cycle to Golden Bay come summer and have told my cousin to expect me. I find if I tell people my plan then it will happen. It will be a three day adventure for want of a better word.

    Sorry to read about your arthritis, Helen. That's a real dampener on activity. Keep those grandkids coming round.

    Puppies are awesome fun, Marlena. Unfortunately Boss (the dog) is now old as well as stiff from injuries sustained when hunting pigs so the most he manages is a gentle stroll to the beach. I have to say I don't like what happens to hunting dogs sometimes but that's another story. We don't hunt, we're just the retirement home for old dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Walking is the only thing I do to keep it, I hope, in shape... Not planned walks either..but the walk from home to the station..and then back..and sometimes shopping..and oh, the weekend walks..

    And importantly I am trying to resist the urge to munch, munch and munch while sitting at the desk...browsing in the name of research for writing... Keeping the snacks healthier has helped keep things manageable. !

    Hope your walking helps ! 7-10 kms..is a wonderful distance. Keep it up...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ju, you're right, those snacks are a worry. I try to stick to fruit and gallons of coffee.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete