Mar 13, 2019

What are you...?

Back in the old old days (that is, in the early days of the Lovecats blog) we often used to open our posts with a series of whats—what I’m watching/reading/listening to etc, and as I love to know what people are watching/reading/listening to etc, I thought that’d be a fun game to play today. So I’ll start…

#1 What I’m watching…

Nothing of particular interest at the moment—reruns of Escape to the Country and Location Location Location (I adore Kirsty and Phil). But, I am going to launch into this soon.


Rachel Bailey has been telling me I MUST watch this. And I have a feeling she’s right. Who else is a fan?

#2 What I’m listening to…

This is the last song I downloaded. And I thought the singer actually sang: “Tell your Mum I said hi”. Noooo. She sings: “Tell ’em all I said, hi”. I have a friend whose 20-year-old son recently broke up with his girlfriend of 5 years. She and his girlfriend are missing each other. That’s what I thought the song was about.


 I like my version better. In this version she sounds all self-pitying and “poor me”. So I continue singing my version of the lyrics. ;-) Who else does this?

# What I’m reading…

I just finished two seriously enjoyable reads. Kaz Delaney’s Chocolate and Old Lace. Rosie Hart and I are going to become very good friends. :-)


 And Tikka Chance On Me by Suleikha Snyder. Amy Andrews told me I HAD to read this, and she was right. It was sassy and sexy with great banter.


So now I’m reading James Scott Bell’s 27 Fiction Writing Mistakes—and How Not to Make Them. I’m knee-deep in my next book, and I feel as if I’ve forgotten how to write (this happens from time to time), and this one is reminding me of a few fundamentals.



 # What’s making me smile…

Because of the James Scott Bell book above, I ordered a hard copy of the book Description by Monica Wood (not available as an ebook) from BetterWorldBooks. And my book sent me a message:

Holy canasta! It's me... it's me! I can't believe it is actually me! You could have picked any of over 2 million books but you picked me! I've got to get packed! How is the weather where you live? Will I need a dust jacket? I can't believe I'm leaving Mishawaka, Indiana already - the friendly people, the Hummer plant, the Linebacker Lounge - so many memories. I don't have much time to say goodbye to everyone, but it's time to see the world!

I can't wait to meet you! You sound like such a well read person. Although, I have to say, it sure has taken you a while! I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but how would you like to spend five months sandwiched between Jane Eyre (drama queen) and Fundamentals of Thermodynamics (pyromaniac)? At least Jane was an upgrade from that stupid book on brewing beer. How many times did the ol' brewmaster have one too many and topple off our shelf at 2am?

I know the trip to meet you will be long and fraught with peril, but after the close calls I've had, I'm ready for anything (besides, some of my best friends are suspense novels). Just five months ago, I thought I was a goner. My owner was moving and couldn't take me with her. I was sure I was landfill bait until I ended up in a Better World Books book drive bin. Thanks to your socially conscious book shopping, I've found a new home. Even better, your book buying dollars are helping kids read from Brazil to Botswana.


How much fun is that, huh?

So, your turn! What have you been watching, listening to, reading, or what’s been making you smile recently?


10 comments:

  1. This is fun

    What I am watching, well nothing I really don't watch TV although I do generally go to the movies on a Wednesday (No movie today :() and have seen some really good ones.

    What I am Listening to, just the radio and what they play

    What I am reading, well I just read Kaz's book as well and agree I loved it and am looking forward to more in the series, I also just read Kelly Rimmer's What we Cannot Say a duel time book set in Nazi occupied Poland and now fabulous read so good and moving wow

    What makes me smile, reading some fabulous books speaking to grandkids and relaxing :)

    Have Fun

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it was fun to write, Helen. :-)

      I love what's making you smile! And that Kelly Rimmer sounds fabulous. WW2 is starting to be a big thing in the fiction and romance worlds, isn't it? I need to get onboard and read a few as I think I'd really enjoy them. Thanks for playing, Helen!

      Delete
  2. Hi Michelle, what a fun post. It's made me pause and take stock. A good chance to think ahead to what I'd like to be reading/watching etc. So, I've been reading lots of romance lately, especially Mills and Boon Presents/Modern - my own line, after a period full of mysteries and other stuff. I must say it's wonderful to lose myself in some great romances again. Watching - catching up with 'Call the Midwife' while my daughter is visiting - some nice girl time together. I've also watched episode 1 of the British series 'London Spy' and can't wait to see it unfold. I'm listening to a lot of 'in conversation' interviews on ABC radio in the car as I make some longer distance visits. Wow, there are some fascinating people out there.

    As for what's making me smile, without doubt it's the acts of kindness of a range of people. Some are friends and some I barely know, but each time their thoughtfulness brings some extra sunshine into the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't it be the most divine fun to just dive into a pile of waiting romances, Annie? Happy sighs. I love 'Call the Midwife' too and am hanging out for the next series -- it's a great girl-time series.

      And 'acts of kindness' are one of the best reasons to smile! Thinking about that is making me smile more. :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh yay! I'm soooo happy you read Tikka Chance On Me, Michelle :-) It was my 2018 find!
    Love Jane The Virgin!
    I;ve just finished reading my RITA books so now its me time and I'm reading the first in the Darynda Jones Grim Reaper series that have been out for ages and I've been meaning to try and not got around to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great read! And now I want to tell you to go grab Lucy Score's Rock Bottom Girl. I can't read the darn thing quick enough, and I'm convinced you'll love it too.

      I've not read any Darynda Jones but I've heard a lot of good things. Must add her to my list. :-)

      Delete
  4. Great post, Michelle. We have just watched the first Season of Sex Education - we loved it. Just went to a Rita Ora concert in Melbourne which was fantastic. And I'm reading Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine - feel like I'm the last person on the planet to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so many good things about Sex Education! It's on my list of 'must investigates'. :-) And you're not quite the last where Eleanor is concerned -- she's sitting on my bedside table. She's my book group's July pick.

      Also, Jen, you made me jealous. I can't remember the last time I went to a concert. :-) So glad it exceeded expectations!

      Delete