Apr 11, 2018

Inspiration stir-fry

 I have to submit my thesis in…well, sometime in the next six to eight weeks. What I’m discovering is that everything else (and I mean everything) is basically being ignored. Exercise? What’s that! Housework? Don’t ask. And the pantry has an alarming array of processed food designed to do nothing more than keep the hunger pangs at bay…or to provide me with loaded-calorie comfort.

Mind you, I'm discovering that there are only so many meals of baked beans on toast or toasted cheese sandwiches a body can take. And we’re not going to mention the potato chips, Twisties, the family blocks of Cadburys or the retro party mixes that have become a mainstay of my diet.

While the knowledge isn’t new, it’s dawning on me with a renewed vengeance that exercise keeps both body and brain healthy, as does nutritious food. If I need to pull an all-nighter (dear God, let’s hope I don’t), I’m going to need more than flour, butter and sugar to keep me going.




So what I need are some super quick and easy stir-fry sauce recipes. I’ve decided that packets of fresh, pre-cut veggies are about to become my new best-friend, because who has the time to cut anything up when there’s a thesis hanging over one’s head?!#

I need to pull a healthy meal together in no time flat.

So, I thought some of you kind souls out there might share your favourite easy stir-fry sauce recipe. And then we’d have a list of easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy, go-to sauce recipes for when life gets too hard or too busy. What do you say?




And in the interests of kicking us off, here’s one of my faves: in a large frypan add a teensy bit of olive oil and when it’s hot add two teaspoons each of minced garlic, ginger and chilli, and one teaspoon of curry powder. Mix it together and cook until fragrant. Add vegetables and cook until done to your liking (and then add cooked beef, chicken or prawns…and noodles if you want). Mix together 1/2 cup of water, one teaspoon of cornflour and two tablespoons of soy sauce, and add to the pan. Stir until mixture boils and thickens.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle

    Sending lots of hugs and energy your way not long now and it will be done :)

    I buy my stir fry sauces already done at Woolies they have the sauce in the meat department with the meat already sliced ready to cook and then as you say you can buy the vegies done too and they are nice a few different flavours and all there for me but I think I might give your one a try and eager to check out other peoples

    Have Fun

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a good idea, Helen! We have a Woolies nearby so I'll check that out -- anything to make life simpler and easier at the moment. :-)

      And thank you for the hugs and cyber energy -- all gratefully received!

      Delete
  2. I was thinking along the same lines as Helen above. At my stores here I can find stir fry sauce, teriyaki sauce, chutney (mixes great with soy), pesto, enchilada sauce...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, it sounds like such a quick and easy fix! Am definitely going to explore this option further. :-)

      Delete
  3. Huuuuge good luck on the home stretch! I love fresh chilli (not the super spicy ones), garlic, fish sauce and lemon juice. Topped with a dash of sesame oil. YUM! With that being said, I don't think you can go wrong with honey, soy and garlic. Good luck! What about a big batch of frittata too - set the veggies, do it in a roasting pan, topped with cheese and then cut up into palm sized pieces for one handed eating as you frantically tap out your words? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, I love chilli too! And a combination of garlic, fish sauce and lemon juice sounds so darn simple -- yum! So does honey, soy and garlic. Excellent. Laughing at your frittata idea and thinking of the mess I could make of my keyboard. ;-) Thanks, Clare!

      Delete